All Topics / Legal & Accounting / PPOR to IP – Stamp Duty

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of bamutebamute
    Participant
    @bamute

Hello all,
    I am looking at using the first home owners grant to buy a PPOR, live in it for 6 months or so and then rent it out. Will I have to pay extra stamp duty to turn the house into an IP?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If you want to claim the stamp duty concession, then I beleive there is a requirment that you live in the house within the first 12 months. Once you have moved in you would meet these requirements, and so could move out again and rent it.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of bamutebamute
    Participant
    @bamute

Sounds good. I don’t mind being in the house for a year and then renting it out. As long as there are no hidden costs:-)

Profile photo of lyndon_glyndon_g
    @lyndon_g

You only have to move in within 12 months.. not live there for 12 months. You do however have to be there for 6 months for the FHOG as you said, so i am assuming that you need to be there for only 6 months for the stamp duty concession also. i think!

Cheers

Lyndon

Participant
    @bamute

If you change your ppor into an ip after 12 months can you claim the stamp duty as you would if the house was bought as an ip?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Assuming you are referring to the Contract Duty payable on the purchase price regretfully this cannot be claimed on a IP.

The amount paid is added to the purchase price and increases your Cost Base for CGT when you eventually sell the property.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker
    100% Finance on selected properties in the USA.
    Email us to be added to our mailing list.
    [email protected]
    Ph: 07-3720 1888

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

You’ll find general information about FHOG at
    http://www.firsthome.gov.au

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Participant
    @bamute

Hello again, one other much delayed question. I realise you can claim lenders mortgage insurance back over 5 years on an IP. If you purchase a house as a PPOR using LMI and then change it to an IP after 6 months can you claim the LMI? Cheers all.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.