All Topics / Value Adding / Painting cupboard doors

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of tinkertinker
    Participant
    @tinker

To all the old hands at renos – we have purchased our first reno. Now the “fun” begins.
    The house is an old wooden house and two of the bedrooms have got the “bones” of built in cupboards but no doors. We plan to buy new craftwood doors – what is the quickest and easiest way to do about painting these? I have painted doors before but had horrible brush marks on them when finished.

All the internal doors also need new door handles and then need to be repainted. Is there any way of fixing up the holes caused by the old door handles?

Thanks for your help
    Annabel

Profile photo of alndalealndale
    Participant
    @alndale

Annabel

To fix the holes try glueing a piece of wood in with construction adhesive such as liquid nails in the hole and then fill with builder’s bog or a small hole you can just use builder’s bog. Better still, measure the hole and then try and get door knobs with the same diameter so that you don’t have to fill the holes.

With regard to painting the doors, try using a roller. These still leave marks until you get the hang of them but they are easier than a brush. If you want to use a brush again, load your brush with plenty of paint in big long strokes while painting it on as evenly as possible. Once you are happy with the coverage lightly run the brush on an angle (with the bristles trailing) over the entire length in the direction you want the strokes to run – called pointing off – and should even out the brush marks. Also if you use matt or semi gloss paint the marks aren’t as obvious as if you use a gloss. Ask for tips at your local paint shop.

Alison

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

With regard to brushmarks, use oil-based paint over a carefully prepared base. Craftwood doors will need to be sanded thoroughly after priming as they tend to burr. I’d recommend semi-gloss or shinier for the top-coat – it’ll stay cleaner and last longer. In my experience, higher gloss enamel paints tend not to hold brush-marks, they ‘slump’ out as the paint dries. Obviously, use decent paintbrushes, leave a week (if you can) between coats, give a fine sanding before the top-coat. And finally, lay the doors flat for painting rather than hanging them first, that way any excess paint will end up around the back of the door rather than in vertical runs.

Cheers, F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of tinkertinker
    Participant
    @tinker

Thanks for the valuable info Amanda and Foundation – will take it on board and give it a go. Will let you know how it works out.

Amanda
    In connection with fitting door knobs the same size – unfortunately the old ones were huge and I can’t find anything that matches – would have been a lot easier.
    Cheers

Annabel

Participant
    @tinker

Hi Alison
    My apologies – I misread your name and called your Amanda instead. The thanks were meant for you and Foundation – not sure where I got Amanda from.
    Annabel[blush2]

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

There is a product called Penetrol you can add to oil paint. It makes painting easier and gives a better finish. You’ll find it at Bunnings – and other big stores – in the paint section.

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of flatoutflatout
    @flatout

Tinker,

My reply may be a bit late but if you haven’t already painted the doors, go into your local Bunnings or paint store and tell them you want a roller for painting doors. Most of them stock very fine rollers specifically designed for this task. Sorry I can’t recall what they are called but the end result is excellent and much better than if you use a standard roller for only a few $ more.

Flatout

Participant
    @tinker

Hi Depreciator and Flatout – thanks for the tips. Have not painted the doors yet so the tips will come in handy.
    Cheers
    Annabel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.