All Topics / Value Adding / Shed Homes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of LesleighLesleigh
    @lesleigh

We live in the country and are considering builing a “class 1” shed as our home. Has anyone else done the same thing and if so, how did it turn out? The one we are looking at costs approximately $18 000, without plumbing, kitchen, internal walls, etc and measures 14m x 12m on the bottom and 14m x 4m on top. We are also considering subdividing some blocks on our property and building these as rentals. Any comments/suggestions.

Profile photo of Modernity InvestingModernity Investing
    Participant
    @mark-coburn

Are you building them because they are cheap or because you think they will be appealing? I like the idea personally and have looked at a few ideas along this line.
    I think you need to look at finishing costs. i.e
    • Insulation
    • Lining out
    • Services
    • Heating/cooling systems
    • And council approvals

I think there is a market for low maintenance Weekenders near large cities, what do others think.

Keep us informed on your progress

Mark

“Ut sementem feeceris”
    “You reap what you sow”

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of LesleighLesleigh
    @lesleigh

Hi Mark
    We like them because they are both cheap and appealing. The one we are looking at is a “barn style” and we think it will look perfect on our hill, overlooking the valley. Also, you can choose where and how many internal walls you put in. We have 4 kids and are planning one more so this is perfect for the amount of bedrooms we need. I just wonder if the same appeal would attract people to rent if we also build them as investment houses on subdivided lots at the front of the same property.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Would love to hear more views.
    We will keep you updated for sure.

Profile photo of marsdenmarsden
    @marsden

Most councils will allow the erection of ‘rural sheds’ on rural land without council approval. They do stipulate that they are not for habitation. Ok for cows but people are not allowed. Approval is needed to construct a house or shed in which you are going to live.
    This approval is not always easy to get!

There are some unapproved ‘sheds’ used as homes but they are hard to sell as anything but blocks of land. Most rural areas are also concerned about subdividing large farms. Councils see the need to retain these large farms as viable operations rather than small homes.

Quite frankly, if you were to put up a shed on land near my property and then started to live in it, I would be the first to complain to council.

@lesleigh

Hi Marsden
    I have spoken with council on this issue. The “shed” is actually a “class 1” so is not actually referred to as a “liveable shed” but a “house” or dwelling. Our cows are sufficiently housed in their own “shed”! I have actually seen one of these erected on another block near us and they look quite “homely”. I think that with today’s economy the way it is, many young families are looking for a “cheaper” way to get ahead in life without borrowing large amounts or paying ridiculous rents.
    Our farm isn’t considered a large farm as it is only 20 hectares or 50 acres. Allowable subdivision stops on the opposite side of our road as this is where the “larger” farms begin. We have looked into subdivision and there isn’t a problem there. Because our very small town is going ahead so fast the market is there if we choose to rent or sell.
    As for our neighbours complaining to council, we have good enough relationships with our neighbours to speak to them before we put in any submissions. Our neighbours, like us, are just struggling families trying to get ahead in life and some are even taking quite similar paths to us.
    Thank you for your reply/comments.
    I would love to hear more from anyone who has actually built one of these “houses”.
    Lesleigh

Participant
    @mark-coburn

I wish we could all play happy houses/sheds together.

I don’t think you should take Marsdens’ reply personaly.
    We/I know that most people would not want to upset their neighbours and are just trying to do the right thing.

On a more positive note: Have you priced any of the finishing costs. i.e
    • Insulation ?
    • Lining out?
    • Services and site costs?
    • Heating/cooling systems?
    • And council approvals/requirements?

I would have guested that the build fabric would have been around 1/3 of the finished cost of the building?
    I have been working on an idea to use 40 foot shipping containers fitted out in the city and trucked to the site. That way the most expense is carried out where the best prices can be got and minumize on-site trade work. Two 40 footers twenty feet apart, with a pitched roof between sounds a lot like a barn type building you are looking at. Easy to remove unwanted walls, etc.
    Mark

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of marsdenmarsden
    @marsden

Surely we do not have to debate the need for ‘development authority’ before building or subdividing. To build a house you get council approval and away you go!

We have built a class1 accomodation on our property to accomodate visitors etc. Had to be finished to approved standards and within a fair timeframe. Septic tank capacity and position needed to be approved. In fact all the safety issues were considered and approved.

I guess I missed the point or question but, in our case, because of the prefab nature erection was simple and everything went well.

@lesleigh

Hi Marsden and Mark
    I apologize for the slight sarcasm in my reply to you, Marsden. I’m not here to debate anything, anyway and you obviously misunderstood the question. Would you agree that the material for the building would be about a third of the total price as suggested by Mark?
    We have looked into a couple of prices and are in the process of getting some different quotes for the various extras mentioned by you, Mark. In our case we still have to put in phone and electricity as well, which is about 200-250 metres up a hill. From what the council has been saying to us, it is all quite a simple process with the actual accomodation we have chosen.
    Mark, that sounds like a good idea you have with the shipping containers but I would have thought that you would be looking at between $5000 and $10000 for each container to start with! I would also think that the “look” of a shipping container wouldn’t be very appealing and I would also think that it would be more of a hassle than an already established kit! Also, wouldn’t council approval be a headache?
    Once again, thank you both for your input. We are very new to all of this and any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated.
    Lesleigh

Participant
    @mark-coburn

I was thinking that the actual Shed cost would end up being 1/3 of the finished cost of the building. As for shipping containers. around $6-7K for two. But it is not the cost of the container, the cost of the fitout. Being able to do the fitout in town then relocation it to the site will save a lot of labour cost and make for easy project management.
    If you think about the cost of a tiled Bathroom would maybe be around $10-15K and the cost of a kitchen about the same. You would only need to save 20% by bulding it in the city to pay for the containers. As for the look, they can be finished in a clading to suit.
    I love the idea of a shed. There was a great write up (with photos) in the Sydney Morning Hearld’s Domain a month ago about a Great Shed House. I kept it for a week or two. Maybe it still in the pile of cuttings.
    Mark

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of fatmanfatman
    @fatman

Just the possibility of another option.

I have absolutely no idea of the costs involved or availability.

But my family, when I was younger, used to live in 2 army huts that were joined at one end to make a really nice house when fitted out.

The actual house ended up being 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, BIG living area and huge kitchen/ pantry etc.
    I think the huts would have been about 25m long each and about 6m wide, so making approx 150m2 floor area approx.

It was actually a damn fine place to live, it was on 120acres, so no neighbours to complain about them etc.

Just my experience, like I said, no idea of cost or availability.

FATMAN :-)

@lesleigh

Hi Fatman
    Thanks for your input. I find all of these variations very interesting and worth some research. When I have some time I’m going to look up the article mentioned by Mark, which also sounds like an interesting read.
    Thanks again!
    Lesleigh

Profile photo of stormbouystormbouy
    @stormbouy

Hi Lesleigh

I've been looking for a house on a small acerage on the sunshine coast QLD..the price of things is so expensive..everyone wants half a million and up.
    I found a liveable shed on 2 1/2 acres for $440,000 but its not class 1 approved,it is lined and looks like a house on the inside.
    I've been told NOT to contact the council to gat class 1 certificate but to go to a private building certifier instead…not sure how much it will cost..a builder told me maybe $3000 or so
    With the price of land being so expensive the shed option is looking pretty good
    Cheers 

Profile photo of l_b29265l_b29265
    Participant
    @l_b29265

Try looking on  http://www.byohouse.com.au about it – maybe you can find some info there.Check the forum out. you might be able to get advice there –

@stormbouy

If youre building or buying a shed and want class 1 approval…beware of the thickness of the cement slab…..if the slab isnt thick enough…(150mm in QLD i think..)….it wont pass

@stormbouy

actually i just found out its 225mm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.