All Topics / Help Needed! / Newish townhouse or older home best for CG?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of nah77nah77
    @nah77

Both mid 200k and in a still-growing suburb slated by Residex to have 15%+pa capital gains growth over next 5 years. Median price 320k.

Interested in other people’s thoughts. We have to live in a particular area with our new (read very hands-on and time consuming) business. Looking at lower end of market primarily as a rent replacement for at least three years and don’t really have a great deal of time to devote to renos/maintenance ourselves at this point (so, yes, we are making a lifestyle decision here because our business is our primary investment at this point).

Townhouse is in newer area of suburb 1yo, 3brm, 2 bth with extra toilet, dbl garage, pool in complex, body corp is $20/week. Extremely low maint and vendor would be losing money on sale from when they bought new (Residex showed neg growth in last year). More townhouses being built nearby and starting at 30k higher than we would be paying.

House 10yo (but looks older), 3brm, 1 bath, 1 garage on 600m2 in older area away from new development. Kitchen, bathroom would need improvement.

I’ve always tended to think a free-standing house would appreciate more than a townhouse….keen on anyone else’s thoughts. Also, have others found Residex predictions to be fairly reliable in the past?

We could certainly afford to borrow more for a property but I’d prefer to keep saving (esp as we make more $) for IPs in few years time.

Many thanks!

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

I’ve always tended to think a free-standing house would appreciate more than a townhouse….keen on anyone else’s thoughts.

You’ve got me, nhowarth – I agree completely. You haven’t included land sizes, but i am more comfortable with houses than units/townhouses. But then, we’re all different.

If the 10 year old house were to receive a cash injection, this could generate a whole lot more equity. But doing that on a 1 year-old townhouse will likely add $0 to the value. Just my thoughts,

Benny

Profile photo of nah77nah77
    @nah77

Thanks Benny. After a good night’s sleep I came back to the same conclusion.

The hunt continues…![wacko]

Profile photo of dondentdondent
    @dondent

Hi There,
    If i was living in it, i would go the house over the townhouse anyday. Saying that i am about to start buying renovating & selling older townhouses on the gold coast as i see the as a good alternative for first home buyers.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Cheers,

Don

Profile photo of ZigZig
    Participant
    @zig

You can get greater tax deductions through building write off from the newer property, (it cost more to build), also items can be depreciated for more deductions, unless there is new stuff in the older property. the newer property should go longer before maintenance and repaint, unless this has just been done to the older place.

Having said that I favour land size also.

Just food for thought.

Cheers
    Zig

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

I watched Median Priced Units in a Suburb gain 20% in a year, whilst Houses were a fair bit less..the units were playing catch up on the Market, so I guess it can depend (cycles within cycles type thing)

Units/townhouses etc can be lower entry prices..newer houses more depreciation, less repairs, Common Gardens so looks tidy from the outside with a complex gardener etc

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by Benny:

If the 10 year old house were to receive a cash injection, this could generate a whole lot more equity.

But doing that on a 1 year-old townhouse will likely add $0 to the value. Just my thoughts,

Benny

I dont understand this point at all?

Am i missing something?

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Redwing,

I dont understand this point at all?

Am i missing something?

My point was simply that a 1 year old townhouse would still be looking pretty good – but a 10 year-old house could maybe do with new carpets, a fresh coat of paint, etc.

Were you missing something? Hell, I dunno – but that’s where I was coming from. What do you think after reading this, Redwing? Do you have a different take on this?

Benny

Profile photo of BartleBartle
    Participant
    @bartle

Just a bit of a theory about the whole capital gains thing. Pretty long one though.

Capital gains can be made in 2 ways only. Appreciation in value due to improvement of the property (renovations/additions etc.), and appreciation in value due to market movement/growth.

Now discussing the renovation aspect. This, I feel is probably the most secure form of capital gain at the moment due to market pressures etc (discussed below). HOWEVER, this is subject to several very important factors. Firstly, renovations in such a touchy market must be completed as quickly as possible in order to save money on holding interest on the loan and perhaps more importantly to race the effects of a declining market. There is no point taking on such an investment unless it can be turned over quickly, otherwise any value gained will simply be diminished by the fall in land prices. Secondly, adding value through renovations is most effective when the work is done by the investor, and thus saving the labour costs. Value added by renovations is really only the cost that it would normally cost to have the same thing done by a contractor (and sometimes not even that much). Therefore secure profit is possible by providing a high quality of work for absolute minimal cost. If just paying contractors to do the work it is quite likely (and I have seen it on countless occasions) that any cash invested in the improvements is simply eroded away by the drop in land prices and the investor loses money. Having said that, if the home is old and in poor condition, you should be able to negotiate at the time of your purchase that you will pay only land value for the property… generally the owner does not expect too much more anyway. Paying land value only minimises the risk and it can be quite easy to add at least some value quickly to an older home just by making it livable (a livable home should return a minimum of $40k – and that can usually be achievable by spending only a few thousand dollars). Now if you are planning on doing something like this, then it is far more clever to purchase the older home. Only so much value can be added to a newer building (whether it’s a townhouse or a dwelling) before the money added is simply wasted as the property becomes overcapitalised. A purchaser will generally not pay a lot more than what they can pay to buy a new townhouse. Depreciation is definitely a different aspect, but I don’t think that was what you were asking about anyway. I personally would never invest for depreciation benefits anyway.

Now, capital gains due to market growth. Very difficult to be confident at the moment anywhere in Australia really (the areas where growth is still occurring is usually down to outside factors such as mining industry etc. which although may be quite secure a the moment, can be changed overnight). I know you quoted residex as saying growth was likely at about 15%. Generally they are a pretty good indication but shouldn’t be relied upon. Those figures are based on a lot of things that most people don’t understand. Besides, these figures are usually only median property figures which can be dangerous to follow, especially if your property is outside that range. Answering your question about the 2 choices, think about this. The value of the entire property (whatever it is) does not actually increase. The only aspect of the property value that does increase is the land value component. The only way improvement/building value changes is as mentioned above. Saying this, it makes sense that if investing for capital gain, you should spend as little money on the actual building component as possible as any money spent on this is only more interest you have to repay to the bank. In actual fact though (without trying to get complicated) you should pay the minimum you can for a house that can still be rented out for a maximum amount. This actually makes you profit from the money that you had to spend on the actual building, whereas vacant land cannot be rented out and as such is dead money (hope this makes sense). Furthermore, you should know that when buying into a townhouse development, you do not actually own any land, as they are strata titled properties. This means that you only really own a share of the overall land in the complex (depending on the number in the complex etc.). This is one of the reasons that strata titled properties (as a general rule only) appreciate slower than Torrens titled dwellings. They only really increase when the house prices get high enough to warrant buying the cheaper townhouses/units etc. the prices are effectively being dragged up by the land prices. HOWEVER, be very careful here as this is only a guide and strongly depends on the cycles of the market, demographics and local lifestyles etc. besides which, even if you did pick the right time in the cycle for townhouses etc. then for newer building you do have a substantial sum tied up in the improvement value that could be spent on large parcels of land instead.

Just a theory…Interested to hear feedback.

Cheers, Guy

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

I always prefer property that has the potential to develop. So I would choose a potential reno with land content over a new townhouse anyday.

But if you have no intention of ever improving the property and want a simple buy and hold, with dep’n and low maintainance costs then buy the townhouse.

[juggle]

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.