All Topics / Finance / Which is Better

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Dave LDave L
    @dave-l

I have a question for the finance wizards out there I’m not the best when it comes to the technical side.
    I have a few extra dollars available each week and a 30-40k bonus comming at the end of the year I’d like to know which option would be best.
    I have 3 IP’s
    1) cp+ slightly[biggrin]
    2)neutral[exhappy]
    3) -ve geared not counting depreciation[blush2]
    Which one would be best to put the extra cash into given that I pay 47% tax on some of my earnings. [angry2]
    Would it be better to pay some off the cp+ property and put the extra earnings into the others or is it better to pay some off the -ve property as I would instantly save 6.72% interest on that money.
    Or
    Would it be better to put it in shares and even consider a margin loan although I would like to start reducing the loans on the propertys.
    Or
    Is there a better option again (apart from giving it to all you other property gurus)
    The first two propertys have increased in value over the last few years the third I have only recently purchased.
    Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Dave

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Dave,

I would use it to reduce any non deductible debt or home loan debt.

Or I would use it to buy another investment. Perhaps some shares or managed funds or as a deposit on another IP.

Paying off deductible debt is my least favoured option.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

I am with Simon on this one.

In saying that it doesnt appear that you have any non deductible debt so maybe a combination of paying down some of the debt for neg geared IP (prefer to see the funds invested in an offset A/c in case you need them again) or maybe even a Tax effective forestry Investment which will reduce your Tax in the current year and may assist in defering it in a year when you income is not so high.

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker
    **Lodoc Commercial loans from 7.19%**
    Licensed Financial Planner
    http://www.yourstatefinance.com
    [email protected]
    Ph: 07-3720 1888

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Overall, it wouldn’t matter which property’s loan you put the money into. Your net tax position would be the same. Maybe putting it into a 100% offset account?

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

If you have a low income spouse then a high yield account in their name would be effective also.

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Dave LDave L
    @dave-l

Thanks Simon, Richard, Terry
    We do have a block of land we wish to build another IP on at some stage so putting it towards that could be a good option. Might put the extra savings into an offset account and then with the bonus it should be a good deposit on the building costs.
    Thanks again
    Dave

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.