All Topics / Opinionated! / should we sell our uranium to china

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

or to any country for that matter and if so why do we really believe that asking a goverment to sign a treaty as to its use will have any bearing how it is used??

I Buy Property http://www.cashflowproperties.co.nz

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of bob the workerbob the worker
    Participant
    @bob-the-worker

Yep, but I don’t think we have a choice. We have no manufacturing industry anymore. If it wasn’t for mining, this country would be a banana republic. Thank god for our mineral wealth. Mining is now providing well over 50% of our export income. It will increase even further.

Watch what happens to New Zealand in the next few years. It’s a little mini me Aussie economy but without much mineral wealth. NZ’s current account deficit is already racing away. Not much coal, iron ore, metals etc. It won’t be pretty.

Besides, nuclear energy will reduce green house gases. Good for the enviroment. New technology today like pebble bed reactors means it no big safety threat.

Good luck.

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

maybe bob – but I always get nervous when is see a small nation like OZ which represents just a drop in the ocean in terms of the worlds economy, population, inlfluence etc etc trading with china (emerging super power) and claiming that it has CONTROL of anything.

At least we will be selling it to all the emerging economies soon ie china, india.

Probably nuclear power is safer these days but I have been to china and seen the way they construct buildings over there. Lets hope they don’t use the same crews to build the power plants.

Although, china will be using most of this new power to satisfy the wests insatiable desire for consumer goods ie goods built in factories powered by new energy.

So I don’t see how that will help our BOP situation – the banana republic situation you talk about will not go away and just got worse.

Ie the smart nation once again exports raw materials and buys it back as dvd’s and highly processed textiles and value added products. eg we become a price taker rather than price maker.

NZ is still nuclear free but there have been murmerings about some changes there. There country is heavily reliant on hydro power which you would think is a good things but it seems is notoriously unreliable. Wind power gets alot of media but seems to be a less favoured source of energy.

Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of bob the workerbob the worker
    Participant
    @bob-the-worker

DLPP says,.

“So I don’t see how that will help our BOP situation – the banana republic situation you talk about will not go away and just got worse.

Ie the smart nation once again exports raw materials and buys it back as dvd’s and highly processed textiles and value added products. eg we become a price taker rather than price maker.”

You sound a little mixed up there. Of course it will help out BOP situation. Media reports today are saying it could be worth 30 billion over the long term to BHP alone.

As for exporting raw materials, well as I said, we have no choice. We have to find something that we can trade competitively. Currently, all we have left is agriculture, which has been slipping percentage wise for years, and mining, which thankfully has taken over from the manufacturing.

I have seen DVD players on the shelves in boxes for sale for $50! That is increadable! Why would we want to build the things anyway. If someone was silly enough to set up a factory in Australia to make DVD players, I doubt you could make them for less than a thousand dollars. What are the Chinese getting for these $50 DVD players? They still have to be shipped out here! Let them have the business. They must be mad! You would be lucky to make the box here for $50.

There was a great story on Business Sunday about the Aussie guy who started the GMC company. They make electrical tools and other stuff. I always thought it was a Chinese company, but it’s Aussie owned, but the stuff is manufactured over there. At least some profit gets back here.

We export the raw materials for market price. We pay to get it back as consumer goods from China and elsewhere. It is no ones fault that this has happened. It is just how things work now.

I feel sorry for other western nations who just through bad luck have limited resources to trade with Asia. I wonder how they will cope in the years ahead. Will be interesting.

Cheers. Bob.

Participant
    @don

it may be harder to explain than I originally thought?

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi guys
    couple of things we do sell to china and lots of it is
    1.knowledge on how to build things including there buildings and architecture lots of it is done here and
    2. investment there is lots of chinese and asian investment in australia in real estate we may not like it but its here and they have bigger pockets they most.
    as for the post shpuld we sell uranium my answer is no we should push for geotech thermal technowlogy which is where they drill two hole or multi holes pour wat down one and high temp super heated stem come out the other and that is tapped to a turbine the cost to setup is the same as coal but run cost are about 5% to coal or uranium and no effect on the enviroment this is alot better then any usable fuels the first turbine will be running before the end of the year

here to help
    If you want to get involved in some of the projects I’m involved in email to [email protected]

Profile photo of ShwingShwing
    Participant
    @shwing

I saw the concept model for the geotech thermal technology some time ago, and to blew me away how simple it really is. I’m all for it, it’s a different ball game though we need to cash in on the technology rather than the resource. Can’t we have our cake and eat it too. Sell them some uranium for a while first, then sell then the geotech thermal technology later.

Mal

Getting out of your comfort zone, can help you become comfortable

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Interesting comments…
    Imagine…bamboo reactors.

A lot of the demand within China for power and manufactured goods is for domestic consumption.
    Some of the numbers quoted for their planned electricity needs are truly staggering.
    They are an emerging economy and very class conscious. Consumerism is the best way to display this.

As for having your cake and eating it too ?? you can…as long as its not yellowcake..

kp

Participant
    @don
    The world has changed a lot since our first edition, The World in 1987: no Berlin Wall, no Soviet Union, a single superpower. China’s rise is a safe bet to be one of the most important developments over the next 20 years. By 2026, will China—assuming it stays in one piece—be the world’s biggest economy.

The economist

apparently usa will be number 2 and india number 3

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.