All Topics / Value Adding / Outdoor Entertaining area

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of Property WAProperty WA
    @property-wa

Hi all,

A while since my last post and to all those that have PM’d me I am working through a back log so will be in touch soon…

Now onto my question..

I am looking at building an outdoor entertaining area to replace an under-used section of the backyard.

Im thinking along the lines of wooden floor boards, bamboo fencing to cover the dull grey asbetos fence and perhaps a thatched roof. Trying to give it a slick modern-beach-bali style look if you follow?

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of the above? either using the aforementioned materials or designing and implementing an outdoor area themselves?

Also open to any recommended suppliers and costs ( Im in WA )

ANY info on anything even slightly related would be great.

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

NO- Sounds great though

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of ShwingShwing
    Participant
    @shwing

A cheaper option for the crappy fence is to paint it. I was over in Perth last weekend to spruce up our IP there and painting of the ugly grey fence was on the list if things to do. We did it in a sandy colour to complement the brick work and it has totally transformed the front of the house giving it a much more aesthetically pleasing look from the street.

Mal

Getting out of your comfort zone, can help you become comfortable

Profile photo of Property WAProperty WA
    @property-wa

Thankyou both (and appreciate the honestly all the same Redwing).

I think the pain idea maybe a good idea too.

Even if I go with the bamboo fencing, you’ve got me thinking that that alone will look a little out of place with the rest of the fence, so a slap of paint where the fencing meets the wall maybe just whats needed to ‘blend’ the old and new. Was there a specifc type of paint you used? costs?

Any other feedback – more than greatly appreciated!

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Apart from the thatch, sounds like what I did in my backyard.

Built a low deck, bamboo over the aesbestos sheeting, tropical plants, paving and timber sleepers. Designed it myself and took about 12 months of doing it on weekends but the old sand patch now looks pretty good now. I,m in WA as well so can tell you where I bought materials if it helps.

How big is the space and whats your budget?

@property-wa

Hi jhopper,

The space – not quite sure but Ive been meaning to measure it so I shall do that tonight and post tommorrow. Just did all the clearing last weend to get a clear canvas to start the design process.

Definately would help if you did have that info on where you purchased the material.

And if you had time over the weekend and wanted to show off your finished product I’d love to see what it turned out like! ([email protected])

Was there a reason you didnt use thatched roofing?

@jhopper

No reason in particular for the thatch, personally not a fan of the look.

Off the top of my head, used the following:
    Timber decking used Indonesian Hardwood called Balau and sourced from Perth Timber in Forrestfield (owner by the name of Brett was helpful),
    Paving used Blok Pave and bought seconds quite cheaply (Not too concerned about seconds as it was all pedestrian traffic only and chucked the ones of poor quality),
    Bamboo screening – went to both WA Salvage and Spotlight, pretty cheap.
    Plants – Mostly from Trees-A-Green in Wattle Grove but got Agapanthas from a verge pickup and family – gotta love the freebies!!
    Timber Sleepers – Gunns in Welshpool, these were Jarrah seconds and so-so in quality but perfect for what I needed.
    Grass – WA Turf Supplier (I think) and went for Winter Green but in hindsight would wait for Buffalo.
    Sand, topsoil and mulch just went to Soils Aint Soils but could probably find cheaper as I did it by the trailer load.
    Corrugated Sheeting – Used this as garden beds using steel pipe for uprights. Sounds a bit funny but looks great. That was my wifes initiative and I was pretty impressed!
    Apart from that, Bunnings were a constant source of odds and sods but wouldn’t go there for anything major aside from cheap tools.

Think I have some before and after shots at home so will email them over.

@property-wa

That sounds fantastic jhopper,

Never thought of adding a garden bed but thats an interesting option.

Not sure how much I’d be able to do myself (looking through all the work youve listed) but 80% of my mates are brickies, tilers, plumbers, sparkies so Im sure I cant convince them to lend a hand in exchange for a cold ale and bbq.

Would be great if you did have photos!

@jhopper

Amazing what a few beers and snags can do!!

Profile photo of lisa.jason12lisa.jason12
    @lisa.jason12

My husband and I are renovators, we have done 5 so far. And what you do to a place will depend if you plan to keep the house or sell it soon after the reno.

I have used the bamboo type stuff to a fence at my PPOR and it’s now a year later and it doesn’t look so good. Faids with time. Looked great to start with though.

Another idea for the decking (our area has loads of termites – so a timber deck is a turn off for some buyers) There is a new product that is a fake timber. It is plastic, but it looks real. I would have sworn it was timber. I have seen it at statco among others. I have also seen at a landscape yard concrete timber planks. As in concrete that looks like timber. It’s amazing what they are making these days. However I didnt find out the costs of these, and that may out weigh the benefit.

Any courtyard areas we have done have been a few larger pavers surrounded by pebbles. A cheaper alternative. Just a word of warning if you do that, make sure you put plastic under. Cause grass growing up through the pebbles isn’t so pretty.

Lisa

@property-wa

Hi lisa.jason12,

Thanks for the info.

Interesting what you note in regards to the bamboo. I hadn’t considered the possibility of fading so I’ll check into that before purchase.

Don’t mind the idea of plastic ‘timber’ floorboards either. There’s alot of little vermits around where Im planning on laying the boards so plastic will be worth a look – im interested to see the cost comparison.

And funny you mention the plastic – we are doing a pebble lining along our driveway and thats what we were told before we start – plastic first or shoots later.

Profile photo of ShwingShwing
    Participant
    @shwing

Re Painting
    We were told to SolarGuard paint for the job. A 4 Ltr Tin of Paint did about 35-40 Sq Mtrs. Cost was $55 for 4 ltrs.

I was given a tip from a neighbour after having already done most of it.
    Wet the fence first and do a thin coat while its wet, then do a second coat later. The wife did the fence an had no intention of doing it twice, so I’m not sure how effective the technique is.

Mal

Getting out of your comfort zone, can help you become comfortable

@jhopper

Hi Mal,

That technique also applies to painting brickwork! Both bricks and cement sheeting are thirsty and I believe the wetting before painting reduces the amount of pain you require, as well as getting rid of any dust from the surface. Not sure about applying a thin coat after wetting but do know it is a common practice!

Jan

Profile photo of mumofthreemumofthree
    @mumofthree

By adding a simple outdoor entertaining area could this add value to property and increase rental income?
    What sort of budget should you stick with?
    Would it be worth it in the end?

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by jhopper:

Hi Mal,

That technique also applies to painting brickwork! Both bricks and cement sheeting are thirsty and I believe the wetting before painting reduces the amount of pain was that a Freudian slip?you require, as well as getting rid of any dust from the surface. Not sure about applying a thin coat after wetting but do know it is a common practice!

Jan

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

@property-wa

Hi juststartingout,

Not sure if ur questions were rhetorical or you were actually asking but good food for thought..

The house is our PPOR so adding value is a bonus not really a focus and as for the budget – as long as it doesnt break the bank and looks good – the’re the only parametres im working with.

Thanks again for everyones feedback – really appreciated.

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

That show that Jamie Durie used to host. Was it Backyard Blitz? Not sure if it’s still on, but I’m sure there is a website with the backyards they did and an explanation of they did things. It would be a good place to pinch some ideas and practical tips from. I wonder how some of those backyards are looking now?
    Scott

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of CDCD
    Participant
    @cd

I second the fence painting idea – my mum painted hers in a nice sage green kind of colour, and in a small garden it blends in with the plants beautifully and gives the illusion of a fair bit more space [suave2]

@jhopper

Hey CD, we did ours in Jamie Durie style, bright blue. Goes well with a semi tropical style!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.