All Topics / Finance / Finance for flood prone properties

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of safeashousessafeashouses
    @safeashouses

Is it generally more difficult to obtain finance for an IP which is subject to flooding (inside the home) in a 1-in-100 year flood?

safe as

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

probably linked to your deposit and whether or not a val will be done. if you can share these items and the postcode we could offer more detail i think.

cheers

brahms
    Purveyor of Fine Finances
    aka Mortgage Broker Brisbane

Profile photo of safeashousessafeashouses
    @safeashouses

There would be 20% deposit, but funded from other equity. Postcode is 2480. An independent valuation could be done if needed?
    What relevance is size of deposit to floods?

thomas

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Do you live in NSW also and would it be a standard Real Estate Contract?

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker
    **NODOC loans from 7.14%**
    Licensed Financial Planner
    http://www.yourstatefinance.com
    [email protected]
    Ph: 07-3720 1888

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of AnitamarshallAnitamarshall
    Participant
    @anitamarshall

I have just done one in NSW – it was a bit of a nightmare to be honest but we got it over the line. The floor level of the house had to be above the highest previous flood level and the clients needed to get a survey to do this. The clients were borrowing 80% so perhaps if the LVR was lower they may not have been quite that strict.

Anita Marshall
    Advanced Finance Solutions
    http://www.advancefinance.com.au
    [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

I have done several in the Q100 range and they were not a problem just the LVR needs to be <80%.

Just bear in mind if you purchase such a property you may wish to sell it one day and the number of purchasers with 20% deposit maybe limited.

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker
    **NODOC loans from 7.14%**
    Licensed Financial Planner
    http://www.yourstatefinance.com
    [email protected]
    Ph: 07-3720 1888

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Funny enough one of my valuations come back today with the valuer saying the area is floor prone. The lender now wants a Section 147 certificate (this is NSW) to show how prone the area actually is. If it is more than 1/100 year flood, then the lender will not accept the security.

Haven’t previously come across this.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@safeashouses

Yes, the area is a well documented flood prone area. The agent upon quick enquiry was able to supply a copy of the Council’s documented flood information for the property. The 1/100 year flood level would enter the interior. This occurred in 1954 and 1974.However, because this is a classic flood prone area, its 1/100 year flood levels are so high that in other areas the houses would probably disappear!
    The property is raised up, ie a second story with garages underneath. Other properties in adjoining streets have been selling fairly quickly for good prices (no slump here), but they would not be affected by the 1/100 year, but they would be affected by the 1/10 year flood, this last happened in 2005 and 2001.
    Sound difficult, but many buyers in this area’s price bracket would struggle to get 20% deposit. This property would be cash flow positive but I wouldnt want to almost die trying to get finance. If I struggled to get finance due to flood, anyone I would wish to sell to would most likely also struggle.

thomas

Profile photo of AnitamarshallAnitamarshall
    Participant
    @anitamarshall

Good point with regard to resale. As Terry mentioned the lender may also require a flood certificate from council. Some councils will not issue them for certain flood zones (eg. Port Stephens Council will not issue flood certificates for Salt Ash) so i would also make enquiries with the council in regards to what they will and wont issue.

Anita Marshall
    Advanced Finance Solutions
    http://www.advancefinance.com.au
    [email protected]

Profile photo of HousemenderHousemender
    @housemender

We’ve just bought 2 houses in Vic on a block with a flood innundation overlay – says land subject to flooding 1 in every 100 years. Last flood was 1950’s, but both houses are older than that (one over 100 years old!). Council told us they’ve taken extra measures since the 50’s eg constructing a new dam upstream and generally maintaining the river and keeping it clear and flowing well and that now risk is 1/200 yrs.

We had no problems with finance except the valuer took an extra week because he had to get a flood certificate from the Council and obtain other info from them re the risks. We borrowed 100% but we have equity in another property it’s financed against to bring it down to 80%. We also did a LOT of due diligence before buying it, including long conversations with the Council and spoke to people in the street to ask about drainage generally.

Only one obstacle so far – we can’t insure the properties against flooding. But the insurance covers everything else and bank is happy with this.

@safeashouses

Howc much of a risk is it that flood is not insured? Is it more a potential problem if a flood causes structural damage?

thomas

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.