All Topics / Finance / having trouble

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of tamtamtamtam
    @tamtam

hi all i am having trouble understanding this loan business???
    i want to buy an investment property!! if i want to buy someting for $200000, how much APPROX. do i allow for all the other costs, in other words, how much do i borrow!! i have been told around $10000.

ta

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Ideally you will go in with a 20% deposit. If less you will need LMI. At 5% deposit this comes to about $3700. At 10% deposit it is about $2500. At 20% deposit it is $0.

Stamp Duty comes in at around $6000 depending upon your state.

Legals will be about $1500 – 2000.

Inspections about $600

There may be other minor costs associated with the loan depending upon the lender etc.

Hope this gives you a very rough idea.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of tamtamtamtam
    @tamtam

thanks simon!! also is there any lenders that will let u borrow all of this????? i have been told and read books saying that investment properies can be bought with none of you own money!!!! is this true and if so which lenders allow this?????

ta

Profile photo of crushercrusher
    Participant
    @crusher

Hello again tamtam,

Our first loan was 106% of the purchase price of the investment property (which gave us enough to cover related purchase costs). We used equity from our owner occupied house so there was effectively nothing out my own pocket and we got maximum tax advantages from the loan interest. This gave us a great start.

Your associated costs will vary according to the price of the property and the state that it is in-

Try out the realestate.com.au calculators-

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=loan&t=res%5B/url%5D

Todd Burns
    http://www.freepropertyhelp.com.au

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

How much you borrow will depend on the LVR (loan to value ratio) e.g., 100% 95% or 80% etc

Here are the figures based on a $200.000 Investment purchase in NSW
    Borrowing @ 80% LVR with a 20% deposit

Purchase price: $200.000
    Loan @ 80% LVR: $160.000
    20% deposit: $40.000

Transfer Stamp Duty: $5.490
    Mortgage Stamp Duty: $581
    Mortgage registration: $78
    Land transfer registration: $78

Your Total contribution: $46.227

This total does not take into account legal and building and pest inspection fees.

Keep in mind Stamp Duty will vary between States, and LMI (lenders mortgage insurance) will apply if you borrow more than 80% LVR. Cheers.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

Mobile Mortgage Market
    Ph: 0402 483 216
    [email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au

PLEASE note comments made should not be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice.

@mobile-mortgage

Yes there are lending institutions that will lend 100% and 107%, although the LMI is quite high on these types of loans.
    Cheers.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

Mobile Mortgage Market
    [email protected]

PLEASE note comments made should not be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice.

Participant
    @crusher

There was no LMI in my case because 20% was covered by equity.

Todd Burns
    http://www.freepropertyhelp.com.au

@mobile-mortgage

Yes Todd that is the preferred option,
    If you have equity then you can effectively borrow 100% plus closing costs without incurring LMI,

This being the case I would suggest separate loans to avoid X-Coll
    E.g.,
    Loan 1 @ 20% plus closing costs i.e. stamp duty etc, secured against current property.
    Loan 2 @ 80% secured against new purchase.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

Mobile Mortgage Market
    [email protected]

Participant
    @crusher
    Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss
    This being the case I would suggest separate loans to avoid X-Coll
    E.g.,
    Loan 1 @ 20% plus closing costs i.e. stamp duty etc, secured against current property.
    Loan 2 @ 80% secured against new purchase.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

This is sound advice if using equity as security. We spent a small fortune earlier this year untying all the properties that have become crossed due to the loans being x collaterised. If the expense wasn’t enough, the time it took was fustrating. So if you do borrow the full amount plus closing costs, follow Steven’s advice, it’s one piece of advice we wished we’d learnt earlier.

Good Luck
    Pk

@mobile-mortgage

Thanks for sharing your exspereince with the dark side of X-Coll PK,
    Unfortunately your experience/misfortune is not uncommon.

As I have mentioned before and will say it again, the perils of X-Coll may not be apparent until it’s too late.
    Prevention is so much easier than the cure.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

Mobile Mortgage Market
    [email protected]

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi tamtam
    sorry put must disagree with crusher as its not a 107% lend if you are putting up other equity its 80% lend and then the rest lend on the other equity.
    If you are going to do this its is alot better to get a line of credit on the first property draw out on this line of credit to put in as the deposit on the second property and then there is no cross collat.
    put that is once you have a property.
    in your case you need to first find out how much you can lend, the best place is a top four bank, nab I like.
    they will sit down, run thru all your info and you will come out with a figure and all costs inc approx legals and the rest.
    then find a broker and he will better that figure.
    next find a property say 200k
    the next I am reading off a corn flake packet and not giving it as advice.
    you get the vendor to either sell it for 240k and vendor finance back the 20% or give you a discount of 20%
    there are as it says here on the side of the box, lots of other ways and its says don’t put these on any bulliten boards
    but ha most brokers read these boxes anyway so have a chat with them.

here to help
    If you want to get involved in some of the projects I’m involved in email to [email protected]

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Steve / PK,

I have read quite a bit on the forums about the dangers of X coll, and believe me, we are X coll’d up the Wazoo, but so far we haven’t been restricted or come across any nasty restrictions that is inhibiting our future investment borrowing.

What nasty things can actually happen if your finances are tied together like a ball of string ?? Tenants are A1, long term and paying the lot and we intend to keep everything long term…..with that situation, where is our weak link ??

Cheers.

@grossrealisation

guday dazzling
    not heard from you for a while.the main problem and I am haveing it at the moment and mine arn’t crossed is that they look at service ability and if they are all crossed the lender says wooo if you get a problem you can’t cover these loans and as one is relient on another its a deck of cards problem.
    even with my ellaberate structure serviceability is the main issue and when you have done term deposits for the 12 months of interest etc and serviceability is still an issue if its all crossed you have no hope andif you have gone even worse and put it with one lender my advice is to buy a shovel and a metal detector and go looking for gold as thats the only way you are going to get finance or in your case ( not sure what you go prospecting for oil with I sub pose an oil can).
    if you think that you will be expanding at a fare rate then you are going to require funding and my advice is never do two lends thru the same lender in one year and give your lends out just like you would a tender to different people to get the finance.
    maybe a little out side the box but I like that.
    remember bank managers are really nice when they like you and they can lend to you, then when they can’t they change hats and can be unfriendly to your requests

here to help
    If you want to get involved in some of the projects I’m involved in email to [email protected]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    Originally posted by Dazzling:

Steve / PK,

I have read quite a bit on the forums about the dangers of X coll, and believe me, we are X coll’d up the Wazoo, but so far we haven’t been restricted or come across any nasty restrictions that is inhibiting our future investment borrowing.

What nasty things can actually happen if your finances are tied together like a ball of string ?? Tenants are A1, long term and paying the lot and we intend to keep everything long term…..with that situation, where is our weak link ??

Cheers.

Dazzling, I remember a certain person came to me looking for a better rate. But they wouldn’t have been able to move without great cost and hassle due to their loans being crossed collateralised.

And what if the current lender refuses to lend you more money, but others will?

And what if the current lender will lend you more money, but you find that one property in the portfolio went down in value. This could prevent you getting the required finance.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@mobile-mortgage
    Originally posted by Dazzling:

Steve / PK,

Cheers.

Daz, I’m hoping that P.K will reply with a first hand more detailed account of her experience with X-Coll,
    I don’t know her exact details but I suspect it went somthing along the lines of the following.

The negative aspect of X-Coll usually becomes apparent when you need to access available equity in order to move forward and receive the disheartening news from your friendly and up until recently obliging lender “we regret to inform you that your recent loan application has been declined”

Unfortunately Its not your perception of how much debt you can service it’s the Lenders assessment, and there reasons for decline could be as varied as, changes to our lending policy, you are to rent reliant, you are to highly geared, we don’t like your shirt, the point is there reasoning is irrelevant.

Its usually at this stage when disappointment turns to frustration when you realize in order to release a mere $30.000 (insert amount here) in equity from 1 property in the entire portfolio, you may be required to refinance 3 or 4 (insert number here) properties across to another lender, extremely time consuming & possibly expensive and in most cases could have been avoided.

Also, It is still possible to have multiple or an entire portfolio with the One lending institution and not have them X-Coll. Cheers.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

Mobile Mortgage Market
    [email protected]

@dazzling
    Dazzling, I remember a certain person came to me looking for a better rate. But they wouldn’t have been able to move without great cost and hassle due to their loans being crossed collateralised.

Thanks Terry. Let me refresh your memory. Yep – that certain person was me. I was looking for a better rate, prudent I thought at the time to do due diligence against my current Lender…..however the results that came back were less money and higher rates from the 7 brokers that I canvassed, as compared with my Private Banker.

I suppose if you are Mr Smith off the street walking into a bank branch looking for a loan, perhaps a mortgage broker is the way to go. Compared to the better deals that are available and not advertised or distributed to the broking community….then maybe not.

Anyway, thanks for the input, from both you and Steve. We are reasonably happy with our financing and haven’t hit a wall yet. X-colled to the wazoo and loving it !!!!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Thanks Terry. Let me refresh your memory. Yep – that certain person was me. I was looking for a better rate, prudent I thought at the time to do due diligence against my current Lender…..however the results that came back were less money and higher rates from the 7 brokers that I canvassed, as compared with my Private Banker.

I suppose if you are Mr Smith off the street walking into a bank branch looking for a loan, perhaps a mortgage broker is the way to go. Compared to the better deals that are available and not advertised or distributed to the broking community….then maybe not.

Anyway, thanks for the input, from both you and Steve. We are reasonably happy with our financing and haven’t hit a wall yet. X-colled to the wazoo and loving it !!!!
    [/quote]

Good to see you can keep going, but it would have been hard if you had to move one property to another bank.

Also remember, I did come close to getting you a better rate, but you failed to give me all the info. I think I could have beat what you were getting if I had known this.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@grossrealisation

hi
    dazzling in the blue corner terry in the red corner and gross with the whistle with I want a clean fight.
    couple of this sorry dazzling but there is nop such thing as (as compared with my Private Banker) because if your a banker you arn’t private even big mr packer uses the mere mortal comm bankers and they arn’t private nor are they friendly they are money hungry, leach sucking, oh sorry just about to climb on a high horse and got away from myself for a min there,
    I must be one of those mr smith as i go to lots of lenders including banks and they are all the same it depends on the deal and who at that time wants to lend.
    oh and as for changing banks lending criteria try this from hsbc
    75% gross realisation lend full lend exchanged on the land while it was going to settlement 6 weeks they changed there lending criteria to 60% gross realisation lending and as the lend was not complete they said that the land would be 75% lend but the construct would be 60% the deal fell over and guess what we are still holding the site lucky it was a raw site and need time to go thru council so getting another lend is not a problem.
    would they repay our fees already paid because of there change in lending criteria no
    as the land lend was still the same.
    I never go with only one lender and think it would be close to suicide to do so.

here to help

@dazzling

No corners necessary GR….

Thanks Terry.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.