All Topics / Help Needed! / What would you do?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of Going For BrokeGoing For Broke
    @going-for-broke

I would like to here some opinions on what you guys would do in our situation.
    We currently have two IP’s both slightly negative. Still owing on our own mortgage, but have fair chunk of equity. Problem is very little cashflow. So if there are no PCF properties out there, what can we do so we can maximise our equity. Do we wait, pay off more mortgage, then buy just before next boom? Or renovate existing IP’s to get more rent? Buy Shares? Buy another negative property and pray interest rates don’t rise for 2 years? Or any other suggestions?
    Appreciate all feedback. Thanks.

Profile photo of MITMIT
    Participant
    @millionaire-in-training

Some options I might take in that situation:

• Renovate IPs and increase rent, thereby increasing the value
    • sell both IPs and pay off more of your home mortgage
    • downsize your home, thereby reducing your personal debt

• Sell one IP and reduce personal debt on home

Have you read Steve’s article on this site about “Negative Gearing”?

I recall Steve asking the question in a seminar when talking about “Negative Gearing” – “How fast do you want to go broke?.

I personally would be active in my approach to resolving the cashflow rather than waiting around for “Capital Growth” that may or may not occur and then if it does, interest rates could then rise and put you back in the same situation.

Have a good look at what you are trying to achieve then develop appropriate strategies for achieving those goals.

If things aren’t working the way you want, maybe you need to do some drastic change to shift the goal posts.

Sure Positive Cashflow properties are more difficult to come by, there are some still out there.

Look for different strategies to make property worth more either for valuation purposes or for rental purposes, get creative and “add value”.

Hope this helps

Sue

MIT | Owen Real Estate
    Email Me

Profile photo of muldermulder
    @mulder

Going for broke,

I can understand your situation.

We are in similar circumstances with 2 IP’s slightly -ve geared, own home and now thanks to Steve’s books motivated to sort it out. We are currently in the midst of consolidating and selling one of the IP’s (worst performing). Looking at adding value or possible wrap for the other.

Crunching the numbers for selling our own home to unlock the 50% equity or paying rent in our area.

Big moves which are a little scary because we’re no experts in investing in property, but the fun is in the journey not the destination.

mulder

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Your situation sounds very like how we have lived for 20 years since we married.

You say they are “slightly” negative. Depending on how negative these properties are, if you can renovate cheaply (paint, add dishwasher, a/c – whatever suits the house and is fairly cheap) to increase rent I’d do it. I know that Brisbane rents are increasing (at long last) and depending on where you are, the slightly negative could soon be neutral.

You will incur costs to sell and pay capital gains tax, so if it was me, I’d do what I could to increase the rent, sit tight (if you can afford to) and let rents catch up. Meantime, pay everything you can into your PPOR. Hopefully your IP loans are interest only. If not, that would make a difference to your cash flow.

If you sell one IP to reduce debt, you will pay all the selling costs and then have to buy again to get back in the market. If your IPs are in good areas and will make growth, why not hold on.

Better (in my opinion) if you can hold tight, and be holding three properties for the next boom, even though it may be several years away. In the meantime, tenants virtually pay the loan.

This is my opinion only, because I have regretted each property we have sold, even though we had good financial reason to sell. I also look at our houses as forced savings. If we had more cash flow, I reckon we’d spend more, without a doubt.

Wylie

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi gfb,

I gotta go with WYlie there. Use whatever means to claw some more cashflow out of those places. Add a carport/garage, a/c, dishwasher, broadband, whatever – and, of course, an agreed rental increase – it doesn’t take much.

With Interest rates as low as they are, you’d be really unlucky to end up on the negative side of things. But first, check with a local RE agent just how much value a garage or a/c, or dishwasher adds to the rent. Then do your sums. You might find that you can lift rents (specially in summer) by $15 a week by fitting a/c – and it might only cost you $5 a week, even if you borrowed the lot !!!

Make it work, gfb – just do your sums first – and hold onto them. When they double in value in x years time (while being funded by the tenants meanwhile) you’ll be glad you did [smiling]

Benny

Profile photo of stannystanny
    @stanny

Hi here is one idea: you can buy a property in Bulgaria (as prices are still low and so is renovation cost) for about 10,000 euros (close to the coast) renovate it and add a pool – about 20,000-25,000 Euro (using a company). And then sell it for 50,000Euros, so you make 20,000-25,000Euro is 3-4 months and in reality you don’t do anything yourself!
    If you like the idea, http://www.balkandreams.co.uk/ has some of the cheapest properties.

Profile photo of BDMBDM
    Participant
    @bdm

G’day Going For Broke,

Another suggestion, if you haven’t done so already, would be to refinance your IPs with a Fixed Rate Interest Only loan, fixed for 3, 4 or 5 or more years. This will make your repayments lower, and also be “locked in” for however many years you wish it to be.

Also, fix the rate on a portion of your actual home.

This will at least provide you with some comfort in that you will know what your repayments will be for however many years you decide to lock in.

Have fun :-)

BDM

Property + Music : what else is there ?
    http://www.mattsmusic.com.au
    http://www.rivertothesea.com
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/mattandrobyn/index.htm

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

GFB

Before you rush out and:
    sell both IPs and pay off more of your home mortgage downsize your home, thereby reducing your personal debt
    Sell one IP and reduce personal debt on home
    think of the CGT implications.

If the properties are in good locations and have minimal maintainance and you beleive have good chances of further appreciation then you could then consider selling the properties to a Trust. Yes both stamp duty and CGT maybe payable but the surplus funds could go towards the reduction in your PPOR debt.

Other suggestion would be to look at the structure of your home loan and other loans and ensure these are working for you and not for your lender. Correspond with a mortgage broker before doing so.

+ cash flow properties are out there and so is the demand for wraps still very much alive.

I don’t mean you have to buy in Bulgaria!!!!

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker
    **Lodoc Commercial loans from 7.39%**
    Licensed Financial Planner
    Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of shake-the-diseaseshake-the-disease
    @shake-the-disease
    Originally posted by BDM:

G’day Going For Broke,

Another suggestion, if you haven’t done so already, would be to refinance your IPs with a Fixed Rate Interest Only loan, fixed for 3, 4 or 5 or more years. This will make your repayments lower, and also be “locked in” for however many years you wish it to be.

This is good advice. The easiest and first things to cover are
    1) minimise out goings, and switching to IO loans will really help
    2) maximise income. Do you have a depreciation schedule? Is the rent at market rate? If you have 2 IPs can you negotiate down the PM fee or move to another agency.

Only once you exhaust that would I look at renos to increase rent.

I would then look at setting up a LOC to cover shortfalls and see if that might be suitable.

I would then look at high yielding shares/MFs/LPTs and buy them out of a LOC to generate extra cash.

….

Only as a very last resort, look at selling and be sure to take into account CGT.

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Just don’t forget that if you lock into a fixed rate and decide to sell during that fixed period, you will be up for penalty fees.

Wylie

Profile photo of Going For BrokeGoing For Broke
    @going-for-broke

Wow, Thanks for all those great responses!
    I really, really want to hang on to them ( the IP’s that is) for the long term.
    They are on interest only already. I have a LOC which has been a life saver, and yes I know it could be a killer if I abuse it.
    I have read Burley’s book but frankly am pretty wary of wraps. I haven’t researched it further but I just want to keep things simple for now.
    I do believe I will do some cheap renos. I have talked to my PM and he reckons I am already getting top dollar for one of the properties. That’s the one that actually needs some TLC. He reckons just wait till it’s vacant, then spend 7K on it, to fix it up properly. Like some one above said, 7k @ 7% is covered by 10 bucks rent increase.
    I don’t know about the rest of you but buying houses in Bulgaria sounds a little risky to me.
    Thanks GFB, Oh I almost forgot, is 8.8% a reasonable rate for a property manager?

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling
    Originally posted by Going For Broke:

I would like to here some opinions on what you guys would do in our situation.
    We currently have two IP’s both slightly negative. Still owing on our own mortgage, but have fair chunk of equity. Problem is very little cashflow. So if there are no PCF properties out there, what can we do so we can maximise our equity. Do we wait, pay off more mortgage, then buy just before next boom? Or renovate existing IP’s to get more rent? Buy Shares? Buy another negative property and pray interest rates don’t rise for 2 years? Or any other suggestions?
    Appreciate all feedback. Thanks.

You’re asking a big set of questions there. How brave and serious are you and your partner ?? This can be life changing stuff. How much are you prepared to sacrifice ?? Where do you both draw the limit ?? You’ll have different thresholds for sure, and if you are to get through the epic struggle together and come out the other end better off, you’d better sit down together and grit your teeth.

We were in this exact situation back a couple of years. Two IP’s under the belt, completely clueless how to get out of the mire we found ourselves in without flogging our heads against a job brickwall for the next 30 years. Cash continually leaking out of our after tax pay packet. Scheming ways of getting above the typical couple on the street. This is what we did.

Using our equity, paid cash for and bought a small 3 bed 1 bath on a decent block in a really really really average suburb for 96K with dross for neighbours (saggy tracky dacs, VB bottles, and ugg boots as far as the eye could see). Gritted our teeth, and with a steely resolve gave ourselves 3 years in the dross to ‘climb above our station in life’. Women in general will resist this tactic immensely, especially if they’ve grown up in a “good suburb”. You’ll also get massive resistance from her ‘friends’ and most of your relatives. It ain’t easy, but the rewards are worth it….IMHO.

Purchased an IP in a swisho suburb that we could only dream about before using the previous strategy. We used the paid off PPoR equity as a deposit.

2-1/2 years down the track, left drossville and shifted into the swisho suburb. Now relatives go from concerned belittling and “why do you live here ?” to moaning “How do you afford to live here ?”. Wife’s friends go from being not happy (concerned about their friend) to still being not happy, for differing reasons (concerned why they cannot live where you are now living).

Did a whole bunch of equity shuffling and everything is where it should be…..paid off PPoR every step of the way and fully loaded IP’s.

Tinkering around the edges might get you somewhere in the long run, but it’ll be a long run…..especially if the natural CG isn’t too strong.

If you want the short track to get out of the mire, my suggestion is to jump straight into the mire at drossville, boots and all.

Your choice.

Profile photo of Going For BrokeGoing For Broke
    @going-for-broke

Geez I thought I was commited but I’m not so sure now! Thanks for that info Dazzling. I don’t even have to ask my wife about moving into ‘drossville’, not a chance in hell. I admire your commitment. I do have a querry about that plan though.
    If my PPOR is halfway decent, then I will be getting reasonable CG on that. If I sell and move into a cheap house and buy a reasonable IP, does’t it amount to the same thing? One nice house and two crap ones. Does it mater which one I happen to live in? I guess the advantage is not having a mortgage on our own home right? Not tax deductable. But not having a huge income, means not much tax anyway. Any other advantages?
    We are fairly commited though. We are always trying to do the right things, never buy on credit, pay off the mortgage as fast as we can, drive an old car, resist latest gadjets etc.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.