All Topics / Value Adding / Stainless Steel Splashbacks?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi all,
    We are currently doing some minor repairs on our IP’s kitchen. The tiles on the kitchen are now gone as we were going to retile with a simple white tile. Its not a big area.
    However, someone proposed to me to get a cost for a stainless steel splashback given durability and it could suit the existing decor of the unit. Also, cost was propsed to be very competitive to take this option
    Has anyone gone down the path of having a reno with a stainless steel splashback? If so, does anyone know of a manufacturer in the Melb area that they could recommend?
    I still think tiling is the best option in terms of cost, but I will be doing the tiling vs. the splashback option which someone else can do therefore, freeing up my time.

Thanks,

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi,

Yes!! doing one as we speak and you are right the price is surprisingly competitive. Don’t even think about sourcing the steel from a kitchen fitter or supplier. Go wholesale and get someone to cut it for you. A standard jigsaw with the right blade will do the job if you are confident. The sheets come as standard 1200 x 2400 at 1.5 mm thick. Apply with adhesive.

cheers

D&L Property Projects NZ Ltd
    Sourcing Investments that fit.
    [email protected]
    Email to receive current deals &
    New Zealand Information Sheet
    http://www.nzproperty.org

Don Nicolussi | Property Fan
    Email Me | Phone Me

Learning, having fun and doing it!

Profile photo of jjaausjjaaus
    @jjaaus

Yes I installed a splash back in my kitchen, I went to a sheet metal place as kitchen places will cost you the earth. It was about the same cost as tiles. Be careful what sort of stainless you get, some of the cheaper ones don’t hide finger prints that well and your forever wiping it down. Look for a sheet metal supplier and ask them if they have small off cuts you could sample. Use a grey silicon to seal splashback and bench tops etc.

Good luck

Cheers

Jeff Aquilina

Need a holiday? http://www.coralsearesort.com email [email protected]

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

A tip with respect to maintenance. We have a stainless steel fridge and other appliances and I had concerns about the fingerprints issue. Was told to wipe it down with baby oil and have been doing it ever since. Works a treat and am now considering a stainless splashback as well.

Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla

Hey There,

I did my complete kitchen and also ran a strip above the bench and also put in stainless splashback.
    I simply drew up my design and measurements and then looked up the yellow pages for sheet metal companies.

You can get different grades of stainless material and thickness choices make a big difference to the finished product…. if you havea wall that is not straight then go for the thicker option otherwise the 1.5mm will warp to the shap of the wall it is in front of.
    The sheets come in 2400×1200 and the grain usually runs across the 1200mm (Most ovens/cooktops are 1200)section (remember this when planning out your pattern if using more than one cut as you do not want hte grains going up and down and sideways.

All up it cost me less than $300.00 and looks fantastic … (Will send you photos if you wish to see the final product (Just PM Me).
    Cheers
    Kiwi[baaa]

Profile photo of brcbrc
    Participant
    @brc

I was looking at a recent refurb and they appear to have done the splashbacks with glass painted or coated on the wall side with white.

It looks quite stunning and very easy to clean. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Profile photo of ecattecatt
    @ecatt

I dont know if there are different types of stainless steel… but our coffee maker is stainless steel and I used a ‘spray and wipe’ type of cleaner on it, and it has all marked. It is very hard to keep clean with finger prints etc, and scratches easily. Maybe there are different types of quality though??

Participant
    @don

Hi Brc,

Yes but it is expensive. In nz it starts at $380 per square meter supply only. The lighter the colour of the paint the more expensive at the lower quality glasses will cover with the darker paints. Light paints on the cheapest glass will give a green tinge.

Looks very swish though and would make a kitchen in the right house/project. Not for a lower in rental but for a resale would be good.

We are currently doing a bathroom with some built in storage/design cavities. Two boxes 350 X 350 tiled in white with stone insets. Very nice. Dark floor tile . I like it hopefully the buyers will. It is a neutral but modern.

cheers

D&L Property Projects Ltd
    [email protected]

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @don

Hi All,

I need your advice. Have a older brick home with a 5 year old long run iron roof that has never been painted and looks new. I dont really want to paint the roof but there is one section stained by coal near the chimney (metal).

Does anyone know of a product that will remove the stain. Or am I up for a paint job. Most so far say only solution is to seal over the stain and paint.

Cheers

D&L Property Projects Ltd
    [email protected]

Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.