Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of Beth_AshtonBeth_Ashton
    Participant
    @beth_ashton

Hi All,

I haven’t visited the site in a long time and have just re-registered!

Am quite interested if anyone knows any more about C.G.T – before I go to an Accountant thought I’d ask…

If you were to purchase a property and sell it within the first 12-months, does the Tax Dep. expect to receieve this tax $ straight away or are you able to use it until the next financial year?

Very curious!

Cheers,

Beth MacLeod

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Any profit would be declared on your tax return and payed at the end of the financial year when you do your tax – as far as I am aware.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of fernfurnfernfurn
    @fernfurn

You dont have to pay your tax until the next April. In other words put your tax return off to the last possible moment

Fern

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by fernfurn:

You dont have to pay your tax until the next April. In other words put your tax return off to the last possible moment

Fern

And put the funds into a ‘do not touch account’ linked to any non-deductible debt you have. Make the payment at the last minute and you get a little bit both ways.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

Profile photo of krskrs
    @krs

Good advice Derek!

Beth

Another creative way could be to put your house on the market at the end of the financial year and only sign the selling contract at the beginning of a new financial year. This way you do not have to declare this CGT until your next tax return (12 months away) and then, as already mentioned in previous posts, you don’t need to pay the bill until April the following year. Yes it’s legal!!!

This way you can use the money for other investments, reduce debt etc.

Cheers
    krs

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

Exploiting Bracket Shifts

Over the next 3 years, the ATO will be reducing income taxes. Brackets will shift outward, allowing higher income at each tax rate. Ideally it is best to have income taxed at next years lower rate if the income can be defferred.

The end of the financial year historically sees investors looking to off-load investments. But before doing this it is important to be aware of possible Capital Gains Tax (CGT) implications. The end of this financial year may not be the best time to look at selling shares or other assets as you may be hit for a large CGT bill, depending on your other earnings and the length of time you have held that asset. Investors should delay asset sales until the new financial year. Instead of selling June 30, sell July 1. You will get a lower tax rate and a year extra to pay your bill.

Anyone considering a redundancy or retirement payout should negotiate with their employer to pay them after July 1.

If you’re expecting a bonus, you may also be able to defer it until after June 30. Bonuses are taxed according to the date they’re paid, so ask your employer if it can be delayed until the new tax year.

Don’t get paid in advance if you’re taking holiday or long service leave that straddles the change of financial year.

If you have a private company, it may be worth waiting until the new tax year to pay dividends. Investors in products like bank bills can ensure any new investment matures after June 30.

Investors who know they are going to realise a big capital gain could take out an investment loan early in the financial year. In the same year that they made the gain, they could claim a tax deduction for the interest paid on the loan and then prepay the following year’s interest, giving them two years’ interest deductions against their taxable income when calculating the gains tax.

Many investors also split the sale of assets over two tax years to keep the tax rate down.

The other method of deferring income to next year is boosting your tax deductions this year. A tax deduction this year could be worth 43.5c. Next year it will be 31.5c.
    Pay for any necessary work expenses now, rather than putting it off until the new financial year. If you have bills, pay them before the end of the financial year instead of the due date in the New Year.

Attend to repairs and maintenance on business equipment or cars, rental properties et al, in the final weeks of the tax year.

Income protection insurance is tax-deductible, so your annual premium should be paid in full by the end of the tax year.

If you are able to make a tax-deductible super contribution, this is a good way to reduce your taxable income this year. The self-employed and other “eligible persons” (anyone who earns less than 10 per cent of their income from employment) can claim a full tax deduction on the first $5000 they contribute each year, plus 75 per cent of any excess up to age-based limits.

http://www.posigear.8k.com
    Positive Geared Share Investing

Profile photo of asdfasdf
    Participant
    @asdf
    Originally posted by Terryw:

Any profit would be declared on your tax return and payed at the end of the financial year when you do your tax – as far as I am aware.

As long as you haven’t lodged an ITWV Form. I think if you sold a property and will come into a large capital gain, might have to resubmit a a new form. I figure the ATO might not look too fondly on you having to pay back a large chunk in April 07 irrespective of the chunk arising from a capital gain rather than an ambitious “mis-calculation” of your deductions. I guess may just have to argue the change in circumstances occurred too late in the FY. I mean, does anyone voluntarily provide tax instalments to the ATO if not specifically requested from them?

Profile photo of cmrndcmrnd
    Participant
    @cmrnd

Hi there all. I thought i would ask the question as it relates to CGT, but i have heard that if you purchase a place of residency with the “intentions to live in it” and sell it within 6 years that the CGT can be avoided. I also heard that teh gain is passed on to the next residancy you purchase.
    Can somone please let me know if this iis true?

Thank you..

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I beleive you have to have lived in the property to claim the main residence exemption. Once you move out, the 6 years starts.

I have never heard anything about the gain being passed on to another property.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.