All Topics / Help Needed! / Algae IN Lawn!?!?!?!

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Thanx for that Fern,

I have actually seen this done, but as I haven’t had a great deal of time (wot with our reno and work contracts) I haven’t spent a whole lot of time on the Bonsai that I have. I have a sad looking pine tree and a stunted Pointsianna (local name – red flower) that refuses to die, no matter what I do to it. Killed two Ficus, but I have learned to ‘Air-layer’ to claim them of large (huge) trees. I will continue, but must focus on getting those lazy dollars to work for me! [rambo2]

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Don’t let reality be the benchmark for your Dreams

Profile photo of Colin GowanColin Gowan
    Participant
    @colin-gowan

Sorry C@34 for taking so long top get back to you.
    Snowed under with work in the quietest period of the year go figure.

Yes as Fern said Clay breaker is the stuff.
    Usually this is used in the soil preparation process.
    I know you don’t want to disturb the soil too much since it is just new.
    If the grass was well established I would suggest coring, machines can be easily hired from most equipment hire places.
    This machine cuts through and pulls out a little soil plug and deposits it on top of the grass thus breaking the compacted areas and top dressing with your own soil.
    However since your lawn is new this option is not for you for at the very least 6 months perhaps longer.

You should just grab your garden fork and stab the ground all over the area that is not absorbing the water.
    This will help break up the crust that may be repelling the water and resisting its penetration.
    To a small extent it will help relieve compaction.
    It will provide a space for the water to penetrate down a few more inches.
    It will also help the Clay breaker work in as Fern said.

Considering Mangos are $1.99 each at Woolworth’s we all would be better off ploughing in our lawn and growing them instead ;o).
    Hope this helps.[cowboy2]

Email [email protected].
    Fax new number coming
    Mobile 0425201055.
    For all your CLEANING and GARDENING work.

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4
    Originally posted by Colin Gowan:

If the grass was well established I would suggest coring, machines can be easily hired from most equipment hire places.
    This machine cuts through and pulls out a little soil plug and deposits it on top of the grass thus breaking the compacted areas and top dressing with your own soil.Not sure this is available here in Hedland, being a Mining Town
    However since your lawn is new this option is not for you for at the very least 6 months perhaps longer.

You should just grab your garden fork and stab the ground all over the area that is not absorbing the water.OK and then put in the Soil wetta?!
    This will help break up the crust that may be repelling the water and resisting its penetration.
    It will also help the Clay breaker work in as Fern said.Would this be better than the Soil wetta?

Considering Mangos are $1.99 each at Woolworth’s try $5.99 each in Hedland we all would be better off ploughing in our lawn and growing them instead ;o).
    Hope this helps.[cowboy2]

Email [email protected].
    Fax new number coming
    Mobile 0425201055.

Thanx for getting back at all! I am still battling with this, and have gradually reduced the watering times. I am, however finding, that now the grass is drying up and dying – so the pedulum has swung all the way…!

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Concrete the Lot Calvin and Paint it Green..

;o)

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4
    Originally posted by redwing:

Concrete the Lot Calvin and Paint it Green..

;o)

[biggrin] [laughing] [thumbsupanim] [specool]

Hehehehe. I actually like the Pilbara red! So, red oxide is the go for me!

Cheers
    C@34

– Thomas Edison

Profile photo of Colin GowanColin Gowan
    Participant
    @colin-gowan

Gday C@34,
    What ever happens to your lawn on top do as my favourite book says in large friendly letters on the cover “Don’t Panic”.
    New lawn naturally will go into some shock.
    Just check that the roots don’t go to the here after.
    That’s where all the new growth should be.

In order to find the best practical solution and to keep costs down to a minimum lets just try one thing at a time.

You should just grab your garden fork and stab the ground all over the area that is not absorbing the water.
    It will also help the Clay breaker work in as Fern said.

Wait awhile to see the effects then use a soil wetting agent.
    Perhaps a breakdown on how and why things work.

Clay breaker unsticks the soil particles by binding them in smaller granules.
    Where before clay breaker every particle would be linked to another and a large mass forms.
    This is why small particles like clay persist in the upper regions of the soil when you would expect over eons that they would become sub soil passing through the gaps in the larger particles with the flow of water.

Soil wetting agents are chemicals that do not exist naturally in the soil.
    They work by chemically altering the way the soil particles accept the water particles.
    Often the soil repels water when it has been dry for so long.
    If the water sits on it long enough it will eventually get in and once the soil starts to reabsorb water it will stop repelling it.

By breaking through the top few inches of soil there will be new soil below that will have been better protected from drying out.
    So very likely soil wetting agents will not be necessary.
    Time will tell.

If you change the way the soil particles cling together the soil structure changes.
    If the soil had been used by heavy machinery the particles would be compressed together and resistant to water between them.
    The same for sub soils turned up where the weight of the soil above has compressed the particles together and the organics out and with them the nutrients.
    If some organic material was worked into the soil before the laying of the turf this would have helped the flow of water and nutrients into the soil below (this is not fertilizing the lawn).

If you use soil wetting agents their effects will last up to 6 months then you will be back to the same problems.
    So unless it’s an emergency try fixing the problems the permanent way first.
    The easy way is not always the best long term way.

As for growing Mangos and mulching the ground with turf, the lawn will compete for the water and nutrients so expect reduced cropping.
    Better would have been a thick layer of shredded legumes to hold in the water and to break down and feed the soil and help prevent the weeds from growing.
    Considering $5.99 each use the turf as the first layer of mulch and add more legumes and chook poo and cowpats etc on top.
    Sell the crop raise money faster purchase next property sooner.

Unless you sell your grass there is no way to make money with it.
    But your tree on the other hand.
    Can’t sell the tree that lays the golden egg.
    $5.99 an egg forgets the bloody lawn.
    $5.99 ea for a mango what kind of grass you growing?[goatee]

Email [email protected].
    Fax new number coming
    Mobile 0425201055.

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.