All Topics / Finance / Offset or LOC Loan?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of giddogiddo
    @giddo

Hi all,

I am looking at putting in an offer on a house.
    I have about 75% of the required dosh in cash.
    I am thinking of getting as much finance for the house as I can (about 80% probably) and then putting the $$$ in an offset account. This way I will have access to cash for my next purchase but am earning about 7% in the meantime.
    Am I right in thinking that I can still claim all of the interest on the loan but need to pay no tax on the offset amount?
    I am pretty conservative – especially in this climate and am not going into shares or othere higher risk investments. In other words I am thinking that about 7% is enough for me, especially if it is accessable.
    Any thoughts on this? especially about the taxation aspect?
    Why are a lot of people talking about LOCs ?
    Wouldn’t an LOC make it difficult to keep track of investment/private payments if you use it a lot?
    Regards

Giddo
    http://www.standrewsplace.com.au

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Profile photo of nickelbennickelben
    @nickelben

Hi Giddo ,

In my experience, I have an offset saving account and any money I put into the offset account , i actually earned NO INTEREST ( of course no tax ) . But there is a reduction of an equal amount of interest in my loan account. As a result, i claim less interest as it should be in my loan account and therefore pay more tax as it appears to have more profit (for an investment property).Do i make sense ?

Try to help,
    Nickelben

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

Hi Giddo,
    I use 2 LOCs. 1 for investments and 1 for personal. Keeping them separate ensures you can claim a deduction on your investment interest and any audit by the tax office clearly shows there was no withdrawals from the investment LOC for personal use.

Over the years, for my situation, its best to keep separate accounts for personal and investment.

I try to keep my personal LOC next to $0 and I xfer any surplus cash I have in my personal LOC to my investment LOC there by increasing my equity in my investments for use on future investments.

LOCs vs Offset accounts? If you have a volatile balance (ie share trade or something) I think an LOC works well. Otherwise I think either work well. Note offsetting does not mean principal reduction, however LOC is a higher IR. I would do an analysis on both based on your saving behaviour to determine which will work best for you.

The above is just IMHO!

Mat

Profile photo of learnsharelearnshare
    @learnshare

I quite agree with Mat’s comment on LOC vs Offset account. The key thing is when you use LOC for investment purpose, you don’t mix personal use with investment one. A good accountant should also be able to advise you how to structure and utilise the LOC or offseting.

by the way Mat, some lenders nowadys can offer the same rate for SVR with offsetting and for LOC. shop around.

cheers,
    herman

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Hi Giddo,
    A 100% offset is the way to go based on the info you have supplied,
    You will also have the option of making the repayments based on the original loan amount regardless of the balance in the offset account, forget the LOC you don’t need it. Cheers.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

Mobile Mortgage Market
    Ph: 0402 483 216
    [email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au

PLEASE note comments made should not be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I agree with Steven

There can be serious tax implications with using a LOC. Offset is much simpler

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of donaldxdonaldx
    @donaldx

Hi Terry,

Can you elaborate on the potential tax implications of using a LOC? I’m using a LOC for my development project, so I’m very interested to any potential problems with this approach.

Thanks,
    Donald Xie

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Originally posted by learn&share:
    A good accountant should also be able to advise you how to structure and utilise the LOC or offseting.

I would like to hear how this can be done as well. A LOC is little different than an IO loan. What is paid in is lost and what is drawn is deductible only depending on the purpose it was drawn for. If an accountant can make that different then he is either smarter than I realise or advising a little close to the wind for my liking.

I recommend the offset account over the LOC for all the reasons given. Plus the fact that an LOC is in realist a giant credit card and dangerous in the wrong hands.

Have a lovely christmas.

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of learnsharelearnshare
    @learnshare

I think LOC is good if you would like to build up your equity. And the fund is availbale at call. If used for an investment purpose, as long as the money or a lump sum in is purely to reduce the mortgage (nothing else), then the unused balance can be used to fund nother investment purchase. some products in the market will also allow you to split the unsused balance as a new account, taking care of a different investment (e.g. sub-account in St george Portfolio loan). So, the first pre-requisite of LOC, in an investment scenario, is any money in should be to reduce the mortgage amount only (not for parking purpose, like in off-setting scenario). Once an amount is taken out, it should be related to the original investment purpose (for constrution for instance), or another new investment scenario. Secondly, yes the user should have a good disipline in managing the unsused fund. Another benefit of LOC is the fund is at call. it will allow you to gain an upper hand sometimes when facing competition in a deal, whereby a speedy settelement is paramount in wining the game.

I hope it won’t sound confusing or complicated, otherwise stick with offsetting.

Cheers,

Participant
    @terryw
    Originally posted by donaldx:

Hi Terry,

Can you elaborate on the potential tax implications of using a LOC? I’m using a LOC for my development project, so I’m very interested to any potential problems with this approach.

Thanks,
    Donald Xie

Hi Donald

eg. If someone were to use a LOC on an investment, and then have their wage deposited in to the LOC account, the ATO would class this as a repayment. If they took money out to buy food, then the interest on this would not be claimable as it would be new borrowings for domestic purposes. Over time this could lead to their deductible portion of the LOC rapdily reduce, while the non-deductible portion increases.

However, if a offset account was used, interest saved would be the same, but since its a separate account to the loan, there would be no new borrowings when money is withdrawn, and therefore, no problems in claiming interest. Certainly less messy at tax time.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of donaldxdonaldx
    @donaldx
    Originally posted by Terryw:
    eg. If someone were to use a LOC on an investment, and then have their wage deposited in to the LOC account, the ATO would class this as a repayment. If they took money out to buy food, then the interest on this would not be claimable as it would be new borrowings for domestic purposes. Over time this could lead to their deductible portion of the LOC rapdily reduce, while the non-deductible portion increases.

Thanks Terry. So if I understand correctly, the problem occurs when one use one LOC account for mixed investment and personal use. On the other hand, if all transactions are related to investment, it would not cause such problems and therefore it’s clearer for tax purpose.
    <br><br>
    In my case, the LOC is on my own house. I draw down the account to, say, pay deposit and other fees to my initial purchase, and deposit the unused amount such as overpayment of council rate allowance. I also intend to deposit GST refund into the same account. I was told (this is my first development project so I’m learning while I go) this is ok. Will those deposits be seen as repayment, i.e., regardless where the source of the deposit is?
    <br><br>

Originally posted by Terryw:However, if a offset account was used, interest saved would be the same, but since its a separate account to the loan, there would be no new borrowings when money is withdrawn, and therefore, no problems in claiming interest. Certainly less messy at tax time.

So one is effectively claiming the LOSS of interest earned, rather than the interest charged to the borrowing? Is this just a difference in terminology, but is in fact treated the same for tax purpose?

Thanks,
    Don

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Hi Terry,

Thanks,
    Donald Xie

Hi Donald

However, if a offset account was used, interest saved would be the same, but since its a separate account to the loan, there would be no new borrowings when money is withdrawn, and therefore, no problems in claiming interest. Certainly less messy at tax time.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]

Exactly correst. Plus your accountant will hate you as they will have to track every redraw so as to determine what exactly is deductible. You will create a real mess.

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Thanks Terry. So if I understand correctly, the problem occurs when one use one LOC account for mixed investment and personal use. On the other hand, if all transactions are related to investment, it would not cause such problems and therefore it’s clearer for tax purpose.
    <br><br>
    In my case, the LOC is on my own house. I draw down the account to, say, pay deposit and other fees to my initial purchase, and deposit the unused amount such as overpayment of council rate allowance. I also intend to deposit GST refund into the same account. I was told (this is my first development project so I’m learning while I go) this is ok. Will those deposits be seen as repayment, i.e., regardless where the source of the deposit is?
    <br><br>

Originally posted by Terryw:However, if a offset account was used, interest saved would be the same, but since its a separate account to the loan, there would be no new borrowings when money is withdrawn, and therefore, no problems in claiming interest. Certainly less messy at tax time.

So one is effectively claiming the LOSS of interest earned, rather than the interest charged to the borrowing? Is this just a difference in terminology, but is in fact treated the same for tax purpose?

Thanks,
    Don

What happens if you upgrade your home and decide to keep the old one as an IP?

You may not plan to but I see people get into this mess a lot.

I would strongly advise one consider offset rather than LOC in almost all cases.

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Donald

Simon has answered, but I might just add that if you use a LOC for investment purposes it can still be promblematic. Every deposit you make is a repayment. So when you withdraw funds it will be classed as new borrowings.

If you only ever withdraw funds for investment/business purposes then the whole interest charged would be deductible, but it could be messy apportioning it between your various investments.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]

Email Me

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.