All Topics / Help Needed! / Flyscreens

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of AuzzieLadAuzzieLad
    Participant
    @auzzielad

Wow, the healthy debate of “flyscreens V’s Ethics”, this thread gets better each time I check it, and there is many valid reasoning both sides.

This is the great side of open forum at work :) interesting reading.

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

Just another angle to this topic – as an IP owner I’m really not at all keen for tenants to be ‘doing’ too much in the way of ‘work’ around the place.

Obviously insurance reasons, as well as the very high liklihood that they are probably not very ‘handy’ and what starts out just ‘popping’ a fly screen together could easily end up as a broken window 3 floors below all over visiting Porsche (unfortunately not my Porsche!)

cheers

brahms
    Purveyor of Fine Finances
    aka Mortgage Broker Brisbane

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Adambc
    Hi All

My take on flyscreens is that all properties should have them as standard, no exceptions. Like TV aerials, and toilets. It is a health issue, and a basic living standard.

All PM’s should ensure that property owners instal them before leasing the property.

Tenants should pay for any screen damage whatsoever, minor, accidental or otherwise. For this reason, PM’s should check them carefully during periodic inspections and during compilation of inbound and outbound condition reports.

Property owners should provide the basics at least, and looking after a tenant pays dividends. Providing a well equipped home increases tenant satisfaction, reduces claims, and reduces vacancy.

PM’s have the right to refuse to manage a property, and to give notice to the owner and to then hand back the property. When I was a PM, I refused to handle the management of properties for owners who were unreasonable and too labour intensive, because they are trouble just waiting for the next occasion. For the same reason, I removed problem tenants. The PM commission only covers so much work and no more. It’s good business sense to remove from the rent roll any problem properties, owners and tenants, and to give them to a competitor, who becomes weighed down with unprofitable problems, and then has high staff turnover in the PM Dept. I mention this to provide an understanding from a PM perspective. In PM, there are at least 3 sides to the story.

cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Flyscreens/security screens, pay for them or don’t….

We are in the process of installying ‘Invisiguard’ screens that look like flyscreen but act like security screen. Keeps the dogs out, the cat and childrne in and the burglars outside with the dogs (two Rottweilers, my little teddies). It is expensive but it reduces my insurance because they are effective security devices AND allow easy fire escapes – with out the keys.
    If I can’t afford to do it when our tennant asks for it, then, like our Owner when we were renting di to us, I’d inform the tennant, that, at this stage that wont happen. If they’d like to contribute (ie: pay more rent) to speed up the process, then that’s fine. Otherwise, it’s not going to happen real quick.
    This way I’m not saying no and I have planted the seed for higher rent. this discussion is very much like the ‘Do you reward your tennant’ post, though!

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

Profile photo of helen78helen78
    @helen78

Wow people are being ridiculous here… if you have no flyscreens on the house at all, and you are the kind of person that mozzies love, thats $30 per window, i have 4 windows in a one bedroom flat,

And how much is it for a flyscreen door??? and i certainly couldn't install it myself!!

i dont mind doing a little here and there on the apartment, but i'm not going to re-tile, re-carpet, install doors. hell i've even re-grouted the bathroom. but that costs $20 at most. getting a screendoor fitted – which is the only way to prevent mosquitos getting in, and lower the cost of air conditioning – thats hellah expensive, and tenants should not be improving the landlords property at their own expense. end of story.

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.