All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice wanted

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of cyclistcyclist
    @cyclist

I have opportunity to purchase home for $140,000 with rental fetching $160 per week. Is this a good deal? Personally I think it is borderline. In my opinion chances of capital gain are very good. What do you guys think? Need a bit of advice here.

Profile photo of swampy30swampy30
    @swampy30

Not enough info

Are you planning to finance 80% of the purchase price? If you’re financing 80%, the weekly (interest only) borrowing costs would be about 145 per week before holding costs.

Over a year, that would be less than $800 cash flow – not nearly enough to cover holding costs of rates, repairs, management fees etc.

If you left a 20% deposit of 28,000 in a bank term deposit you’d get about 1,600 (before tax)

And I haven’t even considered transaction costs of buying.

On a cash flow basis, this looks cash flow negative

Can you afford to carry the losses until there is a capital gain?

Only you can decide.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi cyclist

I’m with swampy30 , You will only make money if the property appreciates in value. Once you add Stamp duty etc and then Agents selling costs it will take some growth to even break even.

Best to do all your sums, I’m not privey to all the details but on the face of it , this deal wouldn’t be something that i’d be chacing

regards westan

Properties in the USA 15-25% returns- email to join our database [email protected]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I think the location and thus potential for CG is key here.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of cyclistcyclist
    @cyclist

Thanks for all replies. I feel I am a beginner and wish to run my ideas & thoughts past a few people.

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Hi,

I know I will probably get shot down in flames for saying this, but if the property is in good condition and more importantly, in a good position, I would go for it, assuming you can service the small loss. When I look at a purchase price I multiply the purchase price x interest rate and divide the answer by 52 weeks. In this case $140,000 x 6.5% divided by 52 = $175. If it is fetching $160 per week now, it is nearly there. I know, I know, this is very simplistic, but IF IT IS IN A GOOD POSITION WITH CAPITAL GAIN POTENTIAL that would be close enough for me.

I don’t bother adding all the costs in because I have only once bought a CF+ house. Nearly neutral is good enough for me IF THE POSITION IS GOOD and the growth potential is there and if you can support the loan easily.

I don’t mean to sound laiz ai fair or imply that cash flow isn’t important to us, but the future potential would win with me every time, provided we could service the negative cash flow until rents picked up, or we could improve the rental yield by a lick of paint and polished boards, etc.

I am also not saying to rush into the first house you see, but, personally I’d rather have a slight loss with good potential growth.

Just thought I’d throw my thoughts in.

Regards, Wylie

Profile photo of swampy30swampy30
    @swampy30

Wylie,

I like your formula – even quicker than 11 seconds!

I would be the last person to knock CG or negative gearing, as it’s how I’ve gained my equity. Capital growth can be very important, and let’s face it, CG is what the majority of people think of when talking about property.

However I have personally come to appreciate that capital gains are not the whole picture. It’s a fact, as Steve says, most people only buy one or two -ve properties, and capital gains are somewhat more of a gamble than actual cash flow. (I know, I know, that could be argued either way!)

In the end, investors have to balance the current situation against future expectations

That’s what it’s all about; looking at each deal as a complete picture – not just cash flow or just capital gains

cheers

Swamp30

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

So, … Cyclist, …

wats the go?

Cheers
    C@34

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try something one more time.
    – Thomas Edison

@cyclist

This is what the go is

The full story is that I own a block of vacant land in the same town. Put a contract on it in last January and settled early July. Purchase price $67000. I reckon I could reasonably sell it now for $75000. So after expenses I probably made $2000 profit in 4 months. Not bad 4 a beginner. However I am at the moment really straining the budget and just making ends meet. I have decided to keep the vacant block cause I believe values will continue to rise. Too much hassle to sell the block and to buy the house for $140000 although owning a house someone else would be making a large contribution towards paying ot off.

I like all previous feedbacks so I can get idea of opinions.

Cyclist

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Why not pop something on the block, rather than ditch it and buy a house & block ??

@cyclist

Yes thats another good option. I really like this forum . Great.

Cyclist

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.