All Topics / Finance / Borrowing a little extra on IP

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of BeastBeast
    Participant
    @beast

Hi,
    Im currently organising a loan for my first investment property. I have about 300K equity in my own home. I intend to borrow 100% for the IP plus fees & charges. I also want to borrow a little extra to pay off my car loan and some renovations.
    Can I leave my current home loan at the same amount and borrow the extra cash for IP + expenses?

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Hi Beast,
    Yes you can borrow extra for expenses and the IP,
    If you are extracting equity from your ppr for the purpose of investment then I would suggest you structure this as a split loan,

The 1st split will contain the PPR loan and any other non deductible debt e.g. car loan etc, and the 2nd split will contain the investment portion, 20% deposit & stamp duty etc, you should also look at attaching an 100% offset to the non deductible portion of the split, Cheers.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

Mobile Mortgage Market
    Ph: 0402 483 216
    [email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au

PLEASE note comments made should not be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice.

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Hi Beast,
    I forgot to mention the following..
    consider the benefits of interest only repayments on all deductible debt and principle and interest repayments on non-deductible debt, as this can help increase your cash flow & serviceability over future lending, cheers.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

Mobile Mortgage Market
    Ph: 0402 483 216
    [email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au

PLEASE note comments made should not be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice.

Profile photo of BeastBeast
    Participant
    @beast

Thankyou mobile mortgage. I was told it was illegal to add extra expenses on my IO investment loan because I would be claiming tax benefits.
    Is this true?

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Beast,

Different issue – you can top up the loan, you can’t claim the interest on the portion that applies to personal, rather than, investment debt. Hence Steven’s suggestion to split the loan into two parts to make tax return preparation a painless process.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958

Participant
    @beast

Edit: actually I just read your response properly and relised you answered my question above. So I will need to increase my current non deductable loan (principal and interest) by the amount I need to cover my car loan and renovations.

Participant
    @beast

Thanks Derek and Mobile Mortgage. [biggrin]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.