All Topics / Help Needed! / Is it SO difficult?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of leoauleoau
    @leoau

Howdy,
    A block of 8 units occupying court, city of Kingston, Melbourne. I own one. I am planning to create a bedroom out of kitchen and move the kitchen to the dining area, thus adding another bedroom, but making the meals area smaller.

So, all I do is:
    1. Swap kithen window (half size) with dining area window (to the floor) reusing the same bricks, frames etc.
    2. Build one internal non-load bearing wall.
    3. Cut a door through a load bearing wall into the new bedroom.

The total cost with the windows moving – slightly over 5000, without around 3,5.

Kingston people told me I need a planning and building permit, proper drafts, possibly engineers certificates etc. For 4 weeks I have to advertise, then another 2 wait for objections. Hell!
    Body corporate doesn’t have any probs. Do I really have to go through several months wait and money waste to simply swap windows??
    Any way around it? [blush2]

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

I’m surprised that it is all gonna take this long!
    About the plumbing… is it a big job to have it moved to the new kitchen area?

Celivia

Profile photo of leoauleoau
    @leoau
    Originally posted by Celivia:

I’m surprised that it is all gonna take this long!
    About the plumbing… is it a big job to have it moved to the new kitchen area?

Celivia

Depend if I do it nicely or cheaply. I can cut through the concrete, move the pipes, reconcrete again, quite expensive, couple of grand. Or I can run a pipe from the new location to the old, but make them of different level, ie lower part in the old location, and higher in the new, so the water runs down.
    It won’t look as good – it’s right next to the front door, so a pipe of about 3-4 meters will be sticking out along the wall.
    I am prepared so save some money this way.

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Hi Leoau,

Assuming the units are in a Res 1 zone, you should not need a planning permit for this. The relevent part of the planning scheme is Schedule 32.01-3-6. You therefore should not have to advertise your proposal.

You’ll probably need a building permit, but these can usually be organised much faster. I’m no expert on this part of the process, so i can’t tell you too much more.

Good luck

Alistair

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Hi Leoau,

Was going to ask something similar to Celivia. Without knowing your background and the actual details of the work you are doing, kitchens are notoriously expensive, even moving an existing one. Plumbers, electricians, tilers etc can be exy!

As for the approvals process, different states have different requirements. I remember in NSW, a DA was required if you were going to do any sort of structural work. 4 weeks plus appeals for 2 is pretty normal but wouldn’t rely on those timeframes. From what you say, thats only the advertising and appeals, what about the actual approval times? Depending on how busy they are, it could be less than that or a lot more. I also know, here in WA approvals are required for any work valued over $12k.

Can be a painful process!!!

@leoau
    Originally posted by APerry:

Hi Leoau,

Assuming the units are in a Res 1 zone, you should not need a planning permit for this. The relevent part of the planning scheme is Schedule 32.01-3-6. You therefore should not have to advertise your proposal.

You’ll probably need a building permit, but these can usually be organised much faster. I’m no expert on this part of the process, so i can’t tell you too much more.

Good luck

Alistair

Res 1? How do I find this out? The unit is in Clarinda (Clayton South), Melbourne.

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

It will almost definately be Res 1. You can check it out by having a look on one of the zoning maps at http://www.dse.vic.gov.au. Alternatively, you could ring up the council planning department and get them to look it up for you.

If you still have no luck email me the address I am quite happy to look it up for you.

Regards
    Alistair

Profile photo of BDMBDM
    Participant
    @bdm

Hi Leoau,

4 weeks and the rest, probably. I live in Monash councils zone, and they want all you have mention, and more, even if you are just thinking about planting a rose bush in the backyard.

And this is why, if you caqn deal with the grief, your property will most likely go up in value. If it’s hard, most people won’t do it. If you actually do do it with all the official approval and grief and time that goes with it, then you will be in the wealthier minority in the long run.
    :-)

BDM

Property + Music : what else is there ?
    http://www.mattsmusic.com.au
    http://www.rivertothesea.com
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/mattandrobyn/index.htm

Participant
    @celivia

Depend if I do it nicely or cheaply. I can cut through the concrete, move the pipes, reconcrete again, quite expensive, couple of grand. Or I can run a pipe from the new location to the old, but make them of different level, ie lower part in the old location, and higher in the new, so the water runs down.
    It won’t look as good – it’s right next to the front door, so a pipe of about 3-4 meters will be sticking out along the wall.
    I am prepared so save some money this way.

I’d go with nicely! It will be worth it. Visible pipes will always catch peoples’ eyes, and future buyers/tenants can easily be put off by the looks (I would!).
    How much would the ‘cheap way cost you? $500-$700 perhaps?
    SO for about $1500 more it will look much better. If you hold the apartment for say 10 years, it’s only $150 more per year over 10 years…
    But it will sell and rent much easier if it looks good instead of crappy.

Better to do a professional and proper job rather than a cheap job which you may regret later [ohno2].

Celivia

@leoau

mate, I’ve had quotes for plumbing in the area of 2-3 grand all the way up to 5-6.

Participant
    @celivia

Well, quotes can differ a lot for the exact kind of job (tell me about plumbers’ quotes!)
    So what is the cheapest quote for the cheaper job, and the cheapest quote for the nice job?

I am just curious to know how much difference in price there is between the crap job and the nice job.

Celivia

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.