All Topics / Help Needed! / First Meeting with my PM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of YasminaYasmina
    @yasmina

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow i have first meeting with my Property Manager -my first investment property. What should i be asking him? Please give me some pointers here.
    Cheers.

Yasmina

Profile photo of flashflash
    @flash

Hi Yasmina,

One thing I would make clear is how you want to be contacted.Also how long similial properties are vacant for in that area.

Hope this helps a little.

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by Yasmina:

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow i have first meeting with my Property Manager -my first investment property. What should i be asking him? Please give me some pointers here.
    Cheers.

Yasmina

Choosing a PM is important – they are not all the same. Don’t select on fees alone
    this report may give you some ideas of what to ask

http://www.rentingmelbourne.com.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?art_id=109

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of YasminaYasmina
    @yasmina

Hi Michael,

I thank you very much for your reply, it was very informative and useful. I am more than prepared now. Cheers.

Yasmina

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by Yasmina:

Hi Michael,

I thank you very much for your reply, it was very informative and useful. I am more than prepared now. Cheers.

Yasmina

I’m glad I could help

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Yasmina
    Inspect the property with your PM if possible, unless occupied, explaining any areas of concern.Ensure your written agreement with the PM allows you to terminate the agreement anytime for any reason on no more than 30 days notice.
    Make it clear what situations you want the PM to handle with or without reference to you. Give the PM the authority to look after your best interests, to make decisions on the spot for you, and the limits to that authority. e.g. how much to spend on maintenance without calling you first. Nominate your own tradesmen if you have any preferences. Insist on quotes vetted by you for items likely to cost over $XYZ. Make sure a plumber replaces every hot & cold tap washer & cistern washer in & outside the house during the first plumber visit. Saves a callout later.
    Insist the PM uses a default tenancy database for tenant selection and lists the tenant on the database for any defaults or lease breaches. Make it very clear that you must be consulted immediately a tenant hints or gives notice, so you can make a decision about reletting, repairs, upgrades, change of policy etc..
    Make it clear who you want or don’t want as a tenant, within legal limits. Clarify how often you want rent increases, periodical inspections and reports, get paid mid month and end of month, insist on detailed receipts for any work or maintenance completed including feedback from PM on the quality of the work to ensure the tradesman has done it properly. Always get a copy of the lease & inbound & outbound condition reports immediately they are completed. Ensure the PM knows you are watching the ball at all times, but ensure the PM takes responsibility and makes the day-to-day decisions for you because you are paying for that, and you don’t want the stress they are accustomed to shouldering. Always ask them what the options are, what the law says, what can be done or pushed through or bluffed, they should have expertise and use it for you.
    It’s something of a balancing act depending on how much you want to do yourself and how much you want to learn, but try not to bark too much yourself when you already have a dog.
    good luck
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of YasminaYasmina
    @yasmina

Thank you thecrest,

wonderful reply. I had meeting with my PM and he seemed very much in control in all aspects of management. Talked with other Landlords and tenants and he is on the good terms with both sides. Just have to wait and see i guess. I made it clear that i would keep close eye on everything and bonus is I live nearby my IP anyway.
    Looking forward for more reply’s thecrest.
    Cheers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.