All Topics / Help Needed! / taking tenant to court for rent

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • Profile photo of carlincarlin
    Participant
    @carlin

Hi out there,

I have a tenant who hasn’t paid rent for 6 weeks. Keeps promising but never delivers (works full-time). Now have a hearing before the Residencies Tribunal (SA) next week. The bond won’t cover the loss.
    What are my options for recouping? Has anyone taken a tenant to court? If so, what’s involved and what are my chances of success? I REALLY don’t want to let this guy get away with this.
    No – I don’t have landlord insurance that covers non-payment of rent, but now considering it (if I can ever get this free-loader out of my place).

Yes – I know I should chill, but it’s not easy watching your bank balance go down and having to top it up from my own pocket to cover mortgage repayments, knowing all the time that this guy having free run of my place that I’ve worked hard to buy.

thanks,
    Carlin

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

Hi Carlin

Has the tenant been evicted? Did you give him a form 2 after 14 days that the agreement was breached?

Do you have 4 weeks of bond to cover some of the losses?

My guess is that you may be able to keep the bond, but not be able to do anything about recouping the rest of the money. Especially if he dosent have it.

Let us know how you go

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

@xenia

My personal opinion is that landlord insurance is not really worth it for tenant arrears. We had it once (CGU), tried to claim a loss and they told us that the bond should cover it. This was in the early days when we had a “professional” agent taking care of the leases and there was no bond!

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of meilin08meilin08
    @meilin08

Hi,

We have the same problem as Carlin….

Our tenant – who has been evicted – owes us about 6 weeks in rent… but we have another problem re: the bond.

Jodie (the tenant who was evicted) was in the property for about 2 years but prior to that her brother in law was our tenant.

When Jodie moved in our property manager did not ask her to pay a bond or change the initial bond to her name.

So we are stuck with no rent for 6 weeks and no bond to cover this as it cannot be released as it is under the brother in law’s name and he refuses to sign to release it to us as there has been a family rift and they don’t speak to each other.

Arrghh!!! some times I think – “is it worth having tenants and all these headaches???!!!”

Mei

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

If you have a residential tenant in your house and they aren’t playing the game, it’s going to cost you alot of time / money and stress. That’s a given. Your question really is how do you limit the damage.

Best place to start is to very much lower your expectations and forget about the lack of money or “fair” or “justice”…just throw them all away before you start. Ask your Lender to do the same and see how they react. It’s called the meat in the sandwich….all investors thrive on it.

This isn’t the best place to pick up info on how to quickly get rid of recalcitrant tenants…especially if it is residential. There have been numerous posts about this before – if you are looking for a quick cheap solution you are out of luck. The law and RTA is very heavily weighted against you. You are only the Owner and therefore, you and your economic dilemma rank very low on the priority scale…despite you thinking that it is important.

For industrial places it’s easy peasy…but that doesn’t help you.

If the tenant has been a few rounds of the tribunal and knows how to play the game…you are in for even a longer and more stressful build up.

What’s the solution you ask to your problem. We struggled for years on this one but finally came up with a permanent solution. Our struggle took so long because we didn’t want to accept that as Owners of residential property, we weren’t considered the top priority. We now know we aren’t.

We now only purchase places where people don’t live…mothers and screaming children aren’t involved…and everything can be shifted in 12 hours from 7pm to 5am with a forklift and truck and a locksmith loves working at 6am.

We charge 1 months security bond and 2 months ‘bank guarantee’, as well as keeping the rent monthly in advance, automatic by direct debit. We therefore get 4 months buffer up our sleeve if they start playing silly buggers. I’m thinking of upping the bond to 3 months in future, as 4 months is pretty slim.

This RTA which restricts ressy Landlord’s to 4 weeks bond and maybe $ 100 for a short list of some animals is outrageously too low…as you are about to find out. Try giving your tenant a free plasma TV or some movie tickets or a free night out or a free roof over their heads or something….that might bring them around. Works for heaps of people apparently – haven’t tried it myself.

As a last resort, there is a guy here on the forum’s…Richard something, I think who has some advice for residential disputes. He works primarily for the tenant though, so you’d better hope and pray that your tenant isn’t also talking with him – otherwise it’ll get a whole lot messier and your hip pocket will need to step down another peg or two on the heirachy of importance.

Or maybe join all the optimists out there and think of it like this ;
    1. It’s great experience for you.
    2. Perhaps you are being too harsh and the tenant needs your understanding.
    3. Just think of the great big tax deductions – wacko !!
    4. You’re still getting some capital gains on the dirt, unless you live in the Eastern States.
    5. Just think of the balance and Karma involved – you’ve enjoyed higher returns than bank interest and this little incident is balancing that up with some realised risk.

Good luck with it all, send another post in December when you finally get them out and have cleaned up the damage.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of The Wild OneThe Wild One
    @the-wild-one

Hi carlin, a Debt collector can do it all for you. You will have to pay them a small fee how ever.
    I don’t understand why we as investors feel that we have to insure our tenants, it should be the tenants insureing them selves in case they can’t meet the obligations or damage some ones property. I pay a debt collector an annual fee and they take care of everthing. They can retrieve all money owing for loss of rent, damage, cleaning and can take care of evictions as well.
    The company that I use is barclay mis.They have to types of plans one is only $44.00 annualy and the other $198.00.
    The $198 plan the company pays you all money owing to you immediately, and then they retrieve the money for them selves. The other cheaper plan you get all your money back when they do. With both plans you don’t pay any Excess and it doesn’t make any difference how many holes in the walls, cleaning, rubish removal or loss of rent, ect. The tenant will be and should be held accountable for every cent.

http://www.barclaymis.com.au

We all should be makeing our tenants accountable.[angry2]

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Hiya Wild One,

I’ve been down a few avenues with these guys. Check your contract very carefully. Usually these guys are very willing to hand you the cash owed to you (who determines that !!!) straight away and then chase the bad risk, as they usually secure the debt with a caveat over your title if they don’t get it back from the tenant.

Call me cynical, but I’d rather chase the debtor myself or walk away from the money than have some heavies placing caveats and warrants on my title deed.

Pure business sense dictates that for a measly $ 198 you ain’t gonna get much bang for your buck. You have one bad tenant who is behind $ 2K in rent and leaves $ 10K damage, that’s worth 60 policies….and that doesn’t include any wages, insurances, profits or running costs….nope…there is way more to it than that.

Each to his own though. You may be happy with caveats placed on your title deed.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of The Wild OneThe Wild One
    @the-wild-one

Very good piont Dazzling, I’m going to check it all over again. Nothing is simple these days.

Barclay look at the debt owing to you and then they determine by the evedence you have whether to procceed or not. They then buy the debt of you and it then becomes their problem.
    But in carlin case if she thinks about going down this road of debt collectors, it may only cost a percentage of debt collector.

I still have landlords insurance because there’s no public liability in my lot areas under the body corporates insurance.

ah, I wish my lotto numbers would come up.

Profile photo of Oxygen FundingOxygen Funding
    @oxygen-funding

I had friends who’s tenants turned to hippies and built a teepee in the back yard, didn’t pay rent for ages. They rang them at work and left a lot of details messages to shame them into paying, which they eventually did and what about listing them with baycorp? Not sure if you can do that? Thankfully haven’t experienced that side of tenants, so good luck with it.

Get your money working for you instead of a bank! You could earn up to 4% PER MONTH. Ask me how!

Profile photo of Oxygen FundingOxygen Funding
    @oxygen-funding

Sorry, having said that, I agree with Dazzling, maybe there is a good reason? Maybe they’ve had a death in the family that has thrown them? If you maybe approach it differently, and not be all guns blazing – a solution can be made where they pay off the outstanding while they get back on track – I know it’s not immediate cash, but at least you’ll get it back if they can relax and not feel threatened from every corner. In most cases people in that situation clam up and put their head in the sand and nothing is achieved.

Get your money working for you instead of a bank! You could earn up to 4% PER MONTH. Ask me how!

Profile photo of MagellanMagellan
    @magellan

Tenancy tribunals always favour the poor things who are out of work,snivellin kids- we all know but this tenant has a job. Might it be possible to hit him with a Statement of Claim in the courts– and bypass all the Tribunal Bleedin heart rubbish? A suburban solicitor could prepare and serve it on him– make it as juicy as possible– loss of rent ,damages, your loss of time in pursuing him etc etc— The Tenant would then have to defend it in Court— get legal advice etc– the idea is to get it out of Tenancy Tribunal–When it starts costing him money he will be more inclined to cough up– This is a suggeestion only– I am totally unqualified to advise but remember an old axiom-“Anyone can sue anyone for Anything” The onus will be on the Tenant to defend your Statement of Claim and he is obliged to appear in Court- otherwise he can be arrested. As he has a job he will be able to be pursued . Sic him,Carlin.

Profile photo of carlincarlin
    Participant
    @carlin

Hi all,

Thanks alot for all the advice and info.

Dr X – Yes, I’ve done everything by the SA Residential Tribunal book – Form 2, Form 7 – you name it, I’ve done it, and done it as quickly as I was allowed to. I realised immediately when he stopped paying as I check this account almost daily – I’ve heard of some landlords who haven’t realised the tenant’s stopped paying for months!!

RE-whether the bond is 4 weeks rent, it’s not quite. I had been renting to students so had kept it a little lower, and then didn’t adjust it when this guy moved in – lesson learnt.

As far as cutting the guy some slack (eg: if he’s down on his luck for some reason) well, I’m not running a charity here. He’s working full-time so don’t know why he can’t pay rent. I suspect he’s done this before and I’m just the latest sucker.

ON TOP OF THIS – this place is fully furnished and equipped. What’s to stop this guy just walking out with my stuff?? I’m very tempted to at least go there and remove the big ticket items – but no doubt that too would breach the @@!!!*** Tribunal’s rules.

So it’s off to the Tribunal this week, then no doubt we’ll be struggling to get him evicted, then off to the Small Claims court…..like I’ve got time for this crap.

Thanks again for listening and responding to my stuffed situation. I’ll see how I go and then relook at some of the ideas you’ve offered.

Carlin

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi Carlin
    Been down this road, tenant moved out 2 weeks ago.
    Tenant was in arrears to the tune of $1,700, bond was $600. The tenant had been renting my IP for 3 years, was always paying late etc. My mistake was that I fell for the “down and out story”.

Rather than go via the court system I tried on a number of occasions to negotiate with the tenant but this was going nowhere. Continually promising payments that did not eventuate.

Finally court date was set, as part of this process a mediator was involved in attempt to negotiate a deal prior to the hearing. The mediator was excellent.

I requested that my tenant pay half the money owing within 2 days and 7 days later final payment. An hour later he reluctantly agreed to this and if tenant did not comply with this official agreement a baliff would evict him at my request.

This outcome was not was I expected as fortunately I did not lose any money, though I did lose sleep.

I was actually told by the mediator that if I could not negotiate a deal and the tenant did not cough up not to bother trying to chase the money as it would be a waste of time. It wasn’t too hard to figure that one out.

I also did not have landlord insurance. I have heard good and bad in regards to this type of insurance, however I think I would prefer to have some protection after this experience.

Good luck
    M

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Carlin
    It’s been my experience with Tribunals that you get what you ask for, provided you can show that you have been reasonable with the tenant, and ALL your paperwork is legally correct.
    This usually means that you show that the rent is fair, you have always abided by the lease yourself in terms of attending to repairs & maintenance promptly, you have given the tenant ample opportunity to pay, the tenant has the means to pay (employed), and your correspondence with the tenant has been polite and businesslike and legal. Tell the Tribunal you are not a rich landlord and that you suffered and deprived yourself borderline bread and water to save the deposit for this property and the rent is payable.
    Insist on the earliest possible termination date, possession of the bond, orders for payment of all outstanding rent and a daily occupation fee until vacant possession, and the right to re-list without notice if all orders are not complied with on time.
    Don’t wear your Armani suit on the day. good luck.
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of Barts78Barts78
    Participant
    @barts78

hey mate.

The only thing you can do is claim for the difference from the bond. eg. Bond = $800, compensation = $1500, claim amount = $700.

So if the tribunal orders the tenant to pay $700 plus the right for l.l to pay the bond, you will have to take the ten to a higher proceeding (magistrates) to claim the $700.

The system sucks and would prob work out to be more expensive through the mag. So to answer your question… No you probably won’t get it back unless the ten is honest (unlikely) or it’s for the principle.

Sorry for the unless info but it usually works out this way.

@xenia

Hi Carlin

just one last piece of advice, try also talking to the Landlords association of SA, they are pro-landlords and know the rules, they may be able to give you some advice that we at this forum are not aware of.

Don’t have their number at right now, probably in my car! but if you can’t find it, let me know and I will look it up.

Also if you are not a member, become one! it only costs $60 per year and they can represent you in tribunals (I think???).

Kind Regards

Xenia

[email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of carlincarlin
    Participant
    @carlin

Hi guys,

Well, what a lot of fun (!) I’ve had since I last wrote.

Late on the afternoon of the day before the tribunal hearing I get a call from the tenant. He tells me he’s deposited a cheque into my account for the outstanding rent and that – as of Friday (tomorrow) – he’ll have an automatic debit system set up.

Given this guy’s track record of blatant lying, I still went along to the Tribunal hearing the next day hoping that I could get an eviction order. I told the “judge” that I feared the cheque would bounce. He said he couldn’t order eviction because the guy had payed, even though the cheque still hadn’t cleared.

So guess what – the cheque bounced two days after the hearing. I’ve had to send off another Form 7 and I’m hoping to get a hearing within the next few days, and then THIS TIME hopefully they’ll send in the bailiffs.

I still plan to pursue this guy through the courts for all outstanding $$$. He works, he has the money and I suspect he’s done this to some other sucker before.

Dr X – I will give the Landlords Assoc a call and see what they can offer in the way of advice.

Will let you know how I go with it all – damn hard to fit this crap in around full-time work.

cheers,
    Carlin

@xenia

sounds like you have a professional con artist renting your property

next time he tries the cheque thing, tell him you want either cash or a cash cheque, deposit it that day and see if there is any money in it.

good luck!

let us know how it all goes

[email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of VengeyVengey
    @vengey

Stop busting balls. Simple.

Profile photo of stargazerstargazer
    Participant
    @stargazer

Hi Carlin

Sorry to hear of your dramas with this individual. I went to a session held by consumer affairs on this sort of thing perhaps geive the them a ring the chap is helpful. I forget his name but if you are interested PM me and i fish out his name for you.
    They did say that the RTT takes the view that everyone is fair and resonable.

The other thing that stood out to me at the session is the amount of people (Landlords) that were there with similar stories to yours.

Due process had to be followed etc. As far as funds greater than the bond well that was the landlords problem (Court). And if the tenant cant pay stiff cheese basically.

Between the lines not worth persuing for the costs etc.

Something that was said:
    Out of 100 tenants 80 tenants pay on time
    of the 80 tenants 64 pay when reminded
    of those 64 tenants 51 need a another reminder and pay
    of those 51 40 need something in writing and pay
    of those 40 32 need a verbal threat and pay
    of those 32 25 need legal threat and pay
    etc it goes down the line like this until you get to a professional evader of there responsibilities that knows the system back to front and never pays.

There recommendation don’t get nice things for tenants they don’t look after them.For example if you provide a plasma TV they can replace it with a far inferior one if it is damaged etc.

Something to think about.

Best of Luck
    Stargazer

PS.Im in Adelaide also.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways Beer in one hand – Pizza in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO!”

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.