Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Chris73Chris73
    Participant
    @chris73

Hi guys ,

i am looking at moving out of my existing house making it my investement property , i want to puchase another house in which i will live .( closer to work ).
    My house has has a value of 380k and i owe 155k on it .i am looking at ways to draw on the equity to put into my new house .
    My question is can i still claim all of the interest portion of my IP loan as a deduction ?
    Cheers

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

You will be able to claim the $155K used for the IP. If you draw mwore for the home then have it seperate on the loan statement. This new amount wont be deductible

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker

[email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Chris73Chris73
    Participant
    @chris73

Thanks for your response , I am a little dissapointed to tell you the truth . Any suggestions on how to overcome this hurdle?

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Sell the property to a spouse or trust for the market price. Have them borrow 100% plus costs.

This loan is now deductible.

Factor in Stamp Duty on the transfer – may be avoided in some states with a transfer between spouses.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker

[email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of kiamakiama
    @kiama

Hi there Chris,

In answer to your question…
    No, you can not claim all of the interest portion as you are buying an owner occupied home, not an IP.

Look at selling your existing home to purchase oo (owner occupied)& another full IP, this way your existing will not encur capital gains in the future & IP will be 100% tax effective.

Kiama

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

And do a search. This is a common problem and seems to pop up about once a month here.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.