All Topics / Help Needed! / smelly tennant

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

My father and I own a duplex which is on the market to be sold.
    One flat is vacant as the tennant did a runner and of course it is a mess but I intend to spend the day on it tomorrow attending to repairs and cleaning.

We have lost all faith in the property manager as this is not the only problem we have had. We have another agent ready to take over the rental side of it but the original agent is insisting we wait the full 30 days.

We do not want the current agent to rent the flat as we fear they will put another terrible tennant in. So it will remain empty until the new agents are able to take over.

Meanwhile I did an inspection today of the other flat. Well I nearly gagged on the smell! It reeks of urine. It is an old man who has lived there for about five years. He is a dear old soul and I hate to hassel him. But who will want to buy the place when it stinks? If the agents ever did an inspection they certainly made no comment on the smell. His lease doesn’t run out till Oct.

What would you do in this situation?
    Thanks for any advice you can offer
    Milly

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

I know people with a RIP mentality never want to hear this, but the best way to avoid the situation as you describe it, is not to buy the thing in the first place. Problem solved.

In the condescending words of a recent seminar presenter “Say yes if you understand”.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of shaztazshaztaz
    @shaztaz

Hi Milly,
    Sorry to hear about your situation. Your old property manager is certainly a dud, and you’ve done well to give him/her the flick. Lets hope the new one is a vast improvement.
    Just some suggestions/thoughts…

Do you really have to sell?

If you must sell, Can you take it off the market and wait til the existing lease ends? Give it a makeover after the tenant has left, find a new tenant and put it back on the market?

Could you ask your new Property Manager to find the old gentleman alternative accomodation prior to the end of the lease. He will probably want to leave early if he knows he must vacate at the end of the lease. (But of course you can’t make him move out early). Start the ball rolling now, as it may take several weeks to move one tenant out and a new one in.

A new tenant may be hard to find with a For Sale sign out the front. It makes tenants nervous because the new owner might want it vacant.

I can understand your reluctance to hassel the old gentleman, but I think your priority must be to look after your investment, followed by your concern for the tenant.
    Depending on his age/mobility/health etc, perhaps the old gentleman would be better placed, for his own comfort, in an aged hostel or similar as he may be incontinent (that would account for the strong smell of urine).

Hope it works out well for all concerned.
    Regards,

Sharon

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

If you feel uncomfortable about talking to the older gentleman yourself, I would be talking to the local home nursing care services to tell them about the old man and his ‘situation’. He may be incontinent and suffering from a bit of dementure. They will certainly pay him a visit to ensure he is ok, healthy and living well. They will also help him clean up if it is required.

TMA

http://www.email4money.info
    Investor Links
    First Home Buyer Website

Profile photo of inezinez
    @inez

I don’t think you can just ask ‘local home nursing care services’ to visit your tenent at whim. I’m sure this would be invading his privacy. Also just because he smells of urine doesn’t mean he is demented.

@robbie-b
    Profile photo of inezinez
    @inez

No offence TMA, I guess I have misunderstood your post.

@robbie-b

Just to clarify understanding, nursing services do not intrude on people’s privacy. They will offer assistance to the gentleman IF he wants it. Also, dementure and ‘demented’ are nothing alike. I also said he ‘MAY BE’ incontinent (uncontrollable bladder) and suffering from a bit of dementure (Alzheimer’s or similar). Either way, we are trying to find a solution to the “smelly tenant” problem without offending the tenant.

PS: I should correct myself… it is actually spelled DEMENTIA.

TMA

http://www.email4money.info
    Investor Links
    First Home Buyer Website

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

It’s time to attack the fatal flaw… I’d be offering a discount on the price for a few thousand to cover professional cleaning, new carpets and a repaint.

In the meantime, I’d be pointing out what a great tenant this person was and while we may have problems with the condition of the property, if it isn’t bothering him then it shouldn’t bother us.

Serious investors shouldn’t be too worried about such issues as they will see the opportunity rather than the problem in this situation (afterall, I buy houses for other people to live in which means after the clean up it should be fine). Convincing a home owner may be a different matter.

Finally, I’d be having a serious word to your rental manager and asking why this issue has never been brought to your attention and seeking a discount off the rental fee to keep the business with them in the future.

Best regards,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of marsdenmarsden
    @marsden

I’ll bet the old buggers got a dog!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.