All Topics / General Property / Greenspan Warns Of Housing Bubble Burst

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/061005_nw_housing_greenspan.html

Greenspan Warns Of Housing Bubble Burst

June 10 (ABC7) — Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan warns the housing bubble may be ready to burst.

As housing prices continue to skyrocket, many buyers are turning to interest-only loans.

They’re particularly popular in places like the Bay Area, where housing prices are among the highest in the country.

Greenspan tells Congress that in some areas, home prices have risen to “unsustainable” levels.

Alan Greenspan: “The dramatic increase in the prevalence of interest-only loans as well as the introduction of other relatively exotic forms of adjustable rate mortgages are developments of particular concern.”

In California, the percentage of households that can afford to buy a median-priced home now stands at only 17 percent. That’s a 3 percent drop from a year ago.

wayneL’s Trading Pages

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

He should come out here and have a look at what’s going on. From the reports I’ve read the US has still a way to go to get to where we are.

With so many reports of what is and what isn’t going to happen, I’m inclined to just chuck them on the pile. Even if it is from the Chairman of the Federal Reserve!

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

By the way way, isn’t Greenspan about to retire?
    Gatsby.

“Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is often the best thing to do.”

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

Volcker: U.S. Economic Crisis Imminent
    Friday, June 10, 2005

Former Fed Chairman Paul Volcker said he doesn’t see how the U.S. can keep borrowing and consuming while letting foreign countries do all the producing.

It’s a recipe for American economic disaster.

On Thursday the Wall Street Journal reported bluntly that “Mr. Volcker thinks a crisis is likely.”

Volcker believes that investor confidence could fade “at some point,” he said, with “damaging volatility in both exchange markets and interest rates.”

He believes a serious economic crisis is likely unavoidable as the U.S. economy is struggling with what Volcker sees as a hopelessly unsustainable relationship with the rest of the world.

“If I were a biologist I’d call this a perfect example of symbiosis,” Volcker said during a February speech at Stanford University.

“Contented American consumers matched against delighted foreign producers. Happy borrowers matched against willing lenders. The difficulty is, the seemingly comfortable pattern can’t go on indefinitely.”

Experts seem to agree that the current situation can’t last.

But will there be a smooth and manageable rebalancing of the global economy – created by a slow drop in the dollar combined with a spike in foreign demand – or will the U.S. currency suddenly collapse, with skyrocketing interest rates that lead us into a global recession?

Volcker believes a crisis is unavoidable, and he claims that investors will lose their confidence “at some point,” creating serious dilemma for “both exchange markets and interest rates.”

As the United States faces the threats of a potential housing bubble, a massive trade deficit and the lowest level of American savings in history, the jury is out on the Federal Reserve’s actions over the past five years.

The Wall Street Journal reports that while the Fed acknowledges that its response to the 2000 Dot-Com crisis is partly to blame for current economic conditions, it claims it had no other viable course of action.

The Fed slashed interest rates, and Congress provided extreme tax cuts giving American households unprecedented buying power. While the government’s response did help the U.S. economy grow, it also created immense debt.

To alleviate this problem, at some point, U.S. consumers will have to curb spending and concentrate on saving – plus the economy will be forced to forego foreign investment.

Experts agree that the reaction to the economic problems after 9/11 took the country into uncharted territory. While many say the Fed’s rate cuts and President Bush’s tax initiatives were the right answer for recovery, no one can be sure.

“We have done what no other economy has done before, faced with an asset bubble,” says Lawrence Lindsey, a one-time Fed governor and Bush adviser.

“This is the first time in history the textbook economic policy … was used, and worked. The problem is, once you finish that chapter of the economic texts, you turn the page and the page is blank – because no one has gone through the process before.”

Some economists warn that the Fed has simply replaced the Dot-Com bubble with a housing bubble that is ready to burst, draining consumer spending, driving foreign investors away from U.S. markets and nurturing numerous other conditions that could lead to a serious recession.

Says Volcker: “I think we are skating on increasingly thin ice. On the present trajectory, the deficits and imbalances will increase.

“At some point, the sense of confidence in capital markets that today so benignly supports the flow of funds to the United States and the growing world economy could fade. Then some event, or combination of events, could come along to disturb markets …”

By contrast, Volcker’s successor is perhaps a bit less circumspect. He said, “The number of forecasts of crises … is far in excess of the number of crises that actually occur. There is something equivalent to an invisible hand which continuously is readdressing market imbalances to reach equilibrium.”

Volcker, however, doesn’t have as much faith in market forces, which oddly enough brings him to the conclusion that Greenspan and the Fed are doing the right thing by raising interest rates to hold down inflation.

The former Fed chairman thinks we need to make sure foreign investors hold their confidence in the U.S. because they’re the ones doing all the investing. They need to know “those trillions of dollars they are piling up are going to be protected against inflation.”

wayneL’s Trading Pages

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

So now that you have been made aware of this fascinating information – what do you intend on doing with it ?? And how specifically does it integrate with the tiny portions of real estate that you actually own ??

I’d really be interested in your answer as I personally don’t see any connection. How does it affect your current or next specific deal ??

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of SeeChangeSeeChange
    @seechange
    Originally posted by Dazzling:

So now that you have been made aware of this fascinating information – what do you intend on doing with it ?? And how specifically does it integrate with the tiny portions of real estate that you actually own ??

I’d really be interested in your answer as I personally don’t see any connection. How does it affect your current or next specific deal ??

Cheers,

Dazzling

So you’re only interested in info relating to your next deal ?

You have no interest in how the economy is going overall ?

Or do you just like questioning the logic of people who post info which has any sort of negative implication , regardless of the time frame….

Yes , it would be a nice world if there was only positive news out there. Personally I like to hear all the info , so I can have on idea on what could happen further down the line.

And this does have practical application on what I do today. If I was convinced that we were going into a period of strong growth , then I’d have a higher LVR on my portfolio . At the moment I’m taking a more cautious approach. I’m still going to get where I want to get to.

No point in wearing rose tinted glasses all the time…..

See Change

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

the tiny portions of real estate that you actually own ??

Nice.

Profile photo of bruhambruham
    Participant
    @bruham

If there’s going to be a bubble burst in USA property prices, how much will all those Aussie investor’s properties drop in price?
    If the top of the bubble was seven thousand dollars a house, how far could these properties fall,I would have thought that seven thousand dollars would have been the bottom of the barrel.
    My thought!

bruham.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Wayne,

I’ve been interested in Greenspan’s thoughts on IO loans, and the commentary following his words. Apparently, IO loans are relatively new to the USA, and in the past, people used to go for certain equity (pay the loan down),rather than gambling on future equity (IO loan with hopeful capital gain).

I know that IO loans in Australia have some flexibility of being able to pay additional amounts… but I reckon if Greenspan mentions IO’s specifically, then it is something for all mortgagees- in Australia as well- to be thinking about.

With the explosion of “flexible” loans, people think they have more choice… but I reckon the old vanilla P&I loan is the way to go at the end of this current boom. I know of many people who fell into an IO loan and are now wishing they hadn’t.

kay henry

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

This subject made this weeks Time magazine, reading it was like dejavu. Like they cut and pasted an Aussie warning from 2003.

Profile photo of bardon_2bardon_2
    Participant
    @bardon_2

Bruham,

Duplex paid 25.5k last month in US

same proeprty previosuly sold

May 04 for 64k

June 94 80k

I reckon I am buying at the bottom.

Thats my bet

@waynel

Cheers,

Dazzling

Of course I’m not a big shot CBD commercial property owner like you, but this information is always included in my current or next deal. However my current or next deal is not likely to include real estate.

My “tiny” portions of real estate were aquired at what I consider to be good value and my next RE deal will be under similar circumstances. (Likely to be at some distant point in the future)

My capital is gainfully employed in the meantime.

The above articles may or may not have a connection for you or me but it is good information nevertheless, to be used at your discretion.

So sorry it obviously offended you.

Have a nice day.

wayneL’s Trading Pages

@waynel

More grist for the mill…..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2005/06/14/cnrics14.xml&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2005/06/14/ixcity.html

RICS sparks fear of housing crash
    By Malcolm Moore, Economics Correspondent (Filed: 14/06/2005)

Almost half the country’s chartered surveyors reported that house prices were falling in May, the highest total since the recession of 1992.

The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors will say today that the number of its members reporting price falls has grown sharply – from 37pc in March to 40pc in April to 49pc last month.

The news will spark fears of a house price crash. In the early 1990s, RICS was the first housing market surveyor to predict the market’s collapse.

In the latest report, the institute says new buyer inquiries had slipped and the number of completed sales had fallen by 29pc since last May.

Jeremy Leaf, a chartered surveyor and spokesman for RICS, said: “The number did worry me because I am a practising chartered surveyor and from a personal perspective we have seen a little bit of a bounce back. Still, this is what people are reporting.”

He said there was now a possibility of a lurch downwards in prices, a view echoed by John Butler, an economist at HSBC. Mr Butler said: “The housing market is still overvalued and the potential for a hard landing, rather than a soft landing, is still there.”

Until today, the consensus was that the Bank of England had engineered a “soft landing” for house prices, as higher interest rates slowed the number of buyers in the market and returned prices to a normal level of growth.

Yesterday, the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister said house prices had increased by 6.9pc year-on-year in April, a figure that is in line with reports from the Nationwide and Halifax for that month. The number of mortgage approvals granted in April was also healthy, at 91,000, the highest total for seven months.

Simon Rubinsohn, an economist at Gerrard, said the market is being boosted by the high level of mortgage approvals, together with a strong jobs market, and the emergence of some attractive fixed-rate mortgages.

“I think 2006 will be the hard year for the housing market,” he said. “The Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply were saying the jobs market would start drying up quite dramatically”.

Mr Leaf admitted that when the RICS survey was put together, there was still a widespread expectation that interest rates might still rise. Now, the majority of economists believe rates will soon start to fall.

Meanwhile, the price of goods leaving the factory gate dropped 0.2pc in April, despite the increased costs that manufacturers face. The one-year rate of inflation for factory-made goods is 2.7pc, while the cost of raw materials is rising by 7.8pc.

wayneL’s Trading Pages

@waynel

June 12, 2005 Real Estate, the Global Obsession By STEVE LOHR

THE housing market in California may look like a textbook case of superheated “irrational exuberance,” but then how does one explain Spain?

Home prices there have risen 130 percent since 1997, twice the run-up in the United States.

These days, house price vertigo is more than a local or national condition. It’s a worldwide phenomenon.

The American housing boom in recent years is nothing compared with the price run-up in countries like France, Spain, Britain, Ireland, Sweden and Australia, even though markets in Australia and Britain have cooled in the last year.

Million-dollar two-bedroom apartments are not only a fixture of New York, but of London, Paris and Hong Kong. In New Zealand, housing prices rose by more than 16 percent from 2003 to 2004. In Ireland, they rose more than 10 percent in that period.

The rise in prices is worrisome, because the international housing boom is a byproduct of globalization. A house on a plot of ground is the most local of assets. But the financial markets that make it possible for people to borrow money to buy a house, or speculate, are increasingly open, international and linked.

Interest rate policies in the industrialized world tend to move in lockstep, usually led by the United States. A growing community of affluent professionals around the world now buy second homes and invest in housing abroad.

The economic links act as a self-reinforcing network that has fueled the global surge in house prices but would also likely magnify the pain on the way down. The ripples would extend well beyond the housing markets. A fall in American house prices, for example, would crimp consumer spending – and free-spending Americans have supported growth in many export-minded nations, notably China.

“The real concern is that the housing boom extends across so many countries this time,” said Susan M. Wachter, a professor of real estate at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. “That just raises the stakes, and the risk, when the music stops.”

The global surge in house prices is a boom by design, largely manufactured by the world’s central banks, led by the Federal Reserve. And it was done for good reason. Faced with a falling stock market and the collapse of the high-tech bubble, the Fed cut interest rates sharply in 2000 to try to limit the damage to the American economy and its trading partners.

Other central banks, like the European Central Bank, quickly followed the Fed’s lead. Higher government spending and tax cuts were also part of the formula.

Cheap credit worldwide fueled the housing market, making mortgage payments less costly. Homeowners refinanced their mortgages at lower rates, and the savings went into consumer spending. They took out home-equity loans on houses of rising value, and spent that borrowed money on cars, clothes, furniture, restaurant meals and vacations. The higher consumer spending and the soaring value of the home nest-egg have kept the global economy chugging along.

“The Fed and other central banks encouraged this boom so that the wealth lost in the stock market was replaced by housing,” said John Llewellyn, the global chief economist at Lehman Brothers in London. “And the housing boom has stimulated demand around the world.”

The biggest globalization lift in house prices has been in what urban economists call “primate cities.” These are the places where the world’s well-off want to live or visit regularly for business or culture like London, Paris, New York, Boston, Shanghai, San Francisco, Miami, Sydney and Vancouver.

They are the most cosmopolitan of locales, often coastal cities and tourist hubs. They experienced the largest spikes in housing prices and pull up the national averages, while inland cities lag – the tourist coast of Spain outpaces Madrid, San Francisco outdoes Milwaukee.

Hitching the world economy to the housing market has worked well for policy makers so far. But it probably can’t continue. House prices in general are continuing to rise both in the United States and abroad, as speculative buying and interest-only mortgages are proliferating.

“Much of Europe is like the United States, with roaring increases in housing prices,” noted Michael Bell, a real estate economist at the University of Reading, in Britain. “The boom must be peaking soon. It just can’t keep going up.”

The looming, unanswered question for the global economy is whether the housing boom will cool down in an orderly way over the next few years or end in a bust. The preferred path would be for interest rates to rise steadily but moderately, slowing the pace of house price increases and forcing consumers to save more.

This is what the Federal Reserve and some other central banks, like the Bank of England and the Reserve Bank of Australia, have tried to do. The hope is that increased business investment would pick up the slack as housing markets worldwide calm down.

But the European Central Bank is contemplating lowering, not raising, interest rates. It is more concerned with slow economic growth, especially in large economies, like Germany’s – where housing prices aren’t skyrocketing – than smaller, hot economies like Spain’s.

The peril is that conflicting policies could conspire against an orderly retreat. And any trouble would come at a time when policy makers, especially in the United States, have fewer options than in the past.

The huge American federal deficit, trade deficit and minuscule savings rate mean the United States borrows about $5 billion a day mostly from foreigners, whose purchases of mortgage-backed bonds have helped keep mortgage rates low.

If house prices drop and American consumers are forced to tighten their belts, buying fewer imports, China and other nations would have to slow their dollar investment spree, driving interest rates higher and higher. That could smack housing markets from Paris to Shanghai to Auckland.

C. Fred Bergsten, director of the Institute for International Economics in Washington, says the overheated global housing market is cause for concern. Yet the larger danger, he said, would be if it combined with another economic jolt, like an abrupt rise in oil prices, which would increase inflation and interest rates.

“That would burst the housing bubble, and be a very serious hit to the world economy,” Mr. Bergsten said.

In a recently published paper, Thomas F. Helbling, an economist at the International Monetary Fund, studied 75 housing price cycles in 14 industrialized countries from 1970 to 2002. He found that not every boom is followed by a bust, but booms often are signs of possible trouble.

So applying Mr. Helbling’s historical standard for booms to today’s housing markets makes for nervous reading.

The housing markets in France, Spain and New Zealand have already boomed, according to Mr. Helbling’s definition – that inflation-adjusted prices have increased 19 percent or more over the last two years. And prices in the Scandinavian countries, Italy, Ireland and the United States are nearing that level.

All these countries must be looking anxiously to Britain and Australia, where prices have peaked, and the question is whether they will experience a bust.

History and common sense, of course, teach that sooner or later, economic gravity will return to house prices, either gradually or swiftly, soft landing or meltdown.

wayneL’s Trading Pages

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.