All Topics / Help Needed! / mining towns

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

whats the verdict in investing in these towns? Certainly great rental yields but is it a bit risky given that the towns rely on one industry to support them?

n speed

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

To answer your question, what happens to the town if the mine closes down?

I would consider mining towns as short-term investments unless the details of the mine itself support a solid company and long-term mining operations.

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of LuciLuci
    @luci

Agreed. Some mining towns are more stable than others – it depends on the ongoing life span of the mines near the town. Some still have 20 years of resources, others may die out in a couple.

Take a look at the mining companies involved, and how their investments are going around the world. Check for their stability and commitment to the area.

Also look at how close the town is to non-mining industries. If the mine does die, will people in the town be able to pick up other work nearby?

Risk is a matter of personal judgement. Some people would consider speculative investing for CG to be riskier, as it amounts to researched crystal ball gazing. You can never gaurentee that property prices will continue going up in an area, no matter what history has to say for itself.

Work out how many years it will take for the investment to pay for itself if there is minimal capital growth (look at the past 20 years growth). Then compare this to how long you expect the mining town to continue operating. If the mine is likely to remain healthy for this period of time, then it is probably worth investing in.

Profile photo of CoopsTCoopsT
    Participant
    @coopst

Hi guys

I looked at buying a place at roxby downs (about 7hrs north of adelaide), with a vast majority of the residents working for/or subcontracted by Western Mining Corporation…This is probably one of the biggest mining towns in Oz and with the average wage of the townsfolk being around $60k (only hearsay from miners/people on the street etc), property prices were more akin to Adelaide CBD prices, with rental prices extremely high also. The problem I found and the reason I didn’t invest there is that everybody I spoke to in the town were slightly uncertain about the mines future (although recent events may have changed that slightly) and I just didnt want to get stuck with house I paid $300k for that is now situated right in the heart of a ghost town….

But if I was absolutely certain WMC were here to stay for a long time (which is nigh on impossible given fluctuating commodity prices) then I would love to buy there.

Best of luck!!!

Coops

Profile photo of Simon CSimon C
    Participant
    @simon-c

Hi Nspeed

Quantifing the reason you want to invest in these area may also help deside if its a good idea or not. I personally think they provide income opportunities for investors more so than capital gains as do own investments in some mining towns that return healthy yeilds. However, I do not expect significant capital gains even in the medium to long term. My intentions to add more value than what I spend and in doing so be able to sell on a lower yield but still attractive to the market. I find it useful to have an entry and exit strategy before considering buying.

It is in my opinion its fairly easy to find information about mining towns and mine life on the internet. If you can find out the mining company involved and access they web site and review regular updated on mines in the area of town you are considering investing in, it might provide you some information to quantify the risk.

There is definitely more risk in buying in these town as others have posted. Speaking to locals is also very useful. You will be surprised what people will tell you if you ask. I would however avoid taking as gospel what those say to you who would financially benefit from you buying in the town. They often paint a picture with rose coloured glasses were other locals are more frank and direct.

Hope this helps. This is my first reply BTW. Hopefully one of many as I create some more time to put back in what I have got out of the forum

Good Luck

Cheers
    Simon

Profile photo of Greg FGreg F
    @greg-f
    Originally posted by nspeed:

whats the verdict in investing in these towns? Certainly great rental yields but is it a bit risky given that the towns rely on one industry to support them? n speed

Hi n speed

Great to see you posting. My tip is to use the “Search” function (top LH corner of this page) and type in separate searches with keywords such as:
    ~ “Mt Isa”
    ~ “Kalgoorlie” etc etc etc.

There are literally hundreds of replies with excellent information in the archives of this forum. I’d also be visiting http://www.somersoft.com.au and doing the same searches there.

I do this as part (only part, mind you) of my “due diligence” searches.

Cheers and Good Luck

Greg

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

I own a house in a mining town. I would not buy another one there.

My house is structurally excellent and I have fantastic tenants giving me about 10.5% return.

BUT the property management is absolutely awful. I have to call every month to find out why the rent hasn’t been paid into my account, the PM told me that she has 15 minutes to do all her property inspections (which explains the one big tick across the inspection sheet!), repair work that I authorise does not get carried out until I call and bug the PM about it. My calls aren’t returned because the PM thinks I am being aggressive, but that’s the only way I can make sure I get paid every month.

There’s nothing I can really do because my options in this town are limited. I have found it far more hassle than it is worth, despite being an ‘on paper’ excellent investment.

This is one aspect that wasn’t covered in Steve’s books and a hard lesson we have learned. Be careful buying in an area where PM options are limited.

Profile photo of skippygirlskippygirl
    @skippygirl

You have to build a team. I agree, PM is often lousy or monopolised with lazy locals in remote or mining towns.

I have a fantastic rural IP, currently yielding 47% (yes 47%) but long term yields 15%. I would not own it, however, without someone acting as PM who is not your average PM and is an investor as well.

skippygirl:)

Profile photo of easymoneyeasymoney
    @easymoney

Hi nspeed,

I own an IP in Coober Pedy. It cost me $45 000 and it makes $100 pw giving me good returns.

It is near Roxby Downs which is a mining area. My tenents have lived there since June 1994.

So I have great tenants, great returns and a great PM. Their fees are a little high 11% but there’s not much you can do about that in a remote area.

Regards

easymoney

Profile photo of Luke TaylorLuke Taylor
    Participant
    @world-changer

Hey nspeed,
    I own a couple of proprties in Brokenhill NSW.
    They return excellently but you have to do yr homework ($120 a week with p.m.purchase price-$37000-41000).(but be aware of low capitol growth)
    There are still properties available now.
    A few things to watch are
    1)How much maintenance will the place need in future?(generally the local PM s wont manage run down properties as you can understand they would be hassled every second minuete for repairs.)So make sure you find someone to manage it before you buy as some flatly refuse if its below a certain value house. One of my places has a lady who manages the house herself which is a great option with the right person.
    2)Are there big multi national companies in town eg Maccas,Woolworths(at B.hill they r just expanding) etc

Hope this helps mate
    Dematio.

Luke Taylor | Hope Property Investing
    http://hopepropertyinvesting.com
    Email Me

Property Support,Strategist and Buyers Agent

Profile photo of Colin GowanColin Gowan
    Participant
    @colin-gowan

I wonder why people pay enough in rent for some properties to be positively geared.
    Surely they would realize that they are better off financially being owners.
    Can it possibly be ignorance?

Fascination by Jim Rohn
    Fascination is one step beyond interest. Interested people want to know if it works. Fascinated people want to learn how it works.

Learn how to turn frustration into fascination. You will learn more being fascinated by life than you will by being frustrated by it.

I’m on my way to the airport to catch a plane that leaves in 45 minutes. The traffic is not moving one inch. I am now fascinated – not frustrated, but fascinated. But I must admit, it doesn’t work every time.

Develop a childlike fascination with life and people.

Email [email protected].
    Fax 0246482374.
    Mobile 0425201055.
    For all your CLEANING and GARDENING work.

Participant
    @world-changer

Hey Colin,
    To answer yr Question as to why some people dont want to own but prefer to rent.I have actually asked some of these people and they reply that they cant handle the pressure or fear of “what if “this happens or that happens ? There is always risk in owning as anything could happen.And thats cool as God made us all different on this planet.But personally I love owning and investing!

All the best
    Dematiio

Email Me

Profile photo of wjafriwjafri
    @wjafri

Hi Demattio,

I have been looking at IP in minning towns. I was interested in your experiences with IP in broken hills.

can you please advise on the suburbs that you think are good for investing in BH?

It would be much appreciated.

Regards,

wjafri
    email:[email protected]

Jafri

Profile photo of easymoneyeasymoney
    @easymoney

Just been looking at broken hill and properties there are no longer positive cashflow. At least not without making improvements, spending time and money.

easy

Profile photo of annemlanneml
    Participant
    @anneml

Broken Hill is barely a mining town these days but tourism is becoming more significant believe it or not. I agree with Dematiio re not buying there unless a PM is willing to manage what you buy. PM fees are high and PMs really do not want to have to work to get their money. It is not a place you would buy for capital gain. If you bought and sold at the right time during the (a) boom, maybe by accident. Many properties for sale are old and requiring ongoing maintenance. The ratio of owner occupied to rentals has also gone down so competition for available tenants will have gone up. Because of costs and risks I would expect much higher yields than elswhere in a place like this.

Anne.

Participant
    @world-changer

My experience with B Hill, Jafri is to stay away from the South or any Laneways. There are opportunities throughout the rest of the town.
    I would treat B hill as a place to learn how to do the whole P Cashflow game but unless you buy a few good properties its not really gonna return you much .
    The mine apparently only has 500 people left employed today so obviuosly the town is not going to dissapear when it closes.(they might even find some more silver etc-That would create some interest hey!)Ha Ha
    No actually I saw a Documentary recently that said a company is presently looking to dig beside the original mine(which was reported as having the biggest return for a mine of its kind in Aus!)
    Regards Dematio

Email Me

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.