All Topics / Help Needed! / Deposit on Property

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Profile photo of BorgInvestorBorgInvestor
    Participant
    @borginvestor

Just reached a price that both us and the vendor are happy with on a 3br double brick unit in complex of 9. Price is $112,500 and the RA is happy with a $2000 deposit. Most banks wont loan above 95% of the value of a property, so at this rate the deposit will need to be in the mid 5,000’s. What benefit do I get from only putting down a $2000 deposit to start with?

Borg.

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

It means you don’t need a great wad of free cash sitting doing nothing for the 2-3 months until settlement. It also gives you those extra months to save more money for deposit or reno.

The initial deposit on exchanging contracts is just there to commit you to the deal. The LVR is worked on settlement value. That is if the bank will lend 95% = $106,875 you just have to bring the 5% to the party. That 5% can be made up of initial deposit + cash or all initial deposit or deposit + other debt (like draw down on existing equity). The bank just wants to make sure they are only lending against 95% of the security value and the vendor only cares that they get the money agreed on.

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

Money is always better in your own pocket than someone elses. I always pay the least deposit possible. You can always earn a few hundred or a few thousand dollars before settlement with money you would otherwise pay as a deposit.

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of BorgInvestorBorgInvestor
    Participant
    @borginvestor

Thanks. I imagine that I could use the remainder of the 5% to offset my PPOR home loan.

@robbie-b
    Profile photo of westinvestwestinvest
    @westinvest

If your all cashed up at the Bank and ready to put in an Offer there should be no need for any Deposit.
    Jenny and I never offer to give a Deposit.
    Nor do we ask for a Deposit when selling.
    Load of rubbish [rolleyesanim]

@robbie-b

Instead of saying it is rubbish, why don’t you tell us what you do instead?

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Interest costs won’t apply until Settlement occurs. You may be able to use a deposit bond instead of cash and invest the 5000 in a bank account with the bank earning interest as collateral for the deposit bond. The bond would cost you to use it but it means you do not tie up your money / or you may have equity in another property you could use as collateral for the bond. I haven’t tried this myself but know the theory of this type of financial instrument. might be Worth asking about at the bank.

@westinvest
    Originally posted by The Mortgage Adviser:

Instead of saying it is rubbish, why don’t you tell us what you do instead?

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Its not a terribly complicated sequence of events.
    When selling a property, if the purchaser offers us a deposit we simply smile nicely and say thankyou but no deposit is necessary.
    After all there signature and ours, on the completed Offer to Purchase form is the only legal requirement to make an Offer to Purchase Binding.
    If the Offer falls over because of a subject then we only have to return there deposit, its not as if any one can do any thing with the deposit after its been paid It just gets held.
    When buying we just tell the vendors (representative) when they go to put in the deposit amount on the Offer to Purchase form that there will be no deposit.
    If they question us we simply tell them there signature and ours, on the completed Offer to Purchase form is the only legal requirement to make our Offer to Purchase Binding.
    We have had all offer’s accepted to date with no deposit, and the last property we purchased with no deposit had a subject to sale of another property.
    Deposits?? Rubbish [exhappy]

@robbie-b

That is the biggest load of RUBBISH I have heard.

Please tell me how your simple idea of no deposits helps you when the buyer pulls out at the last minute due to a property price slump and you have lost three or four other willing buyers who are now no longer willing. How are you going to recover the deposit which YOU WOULD BE ENTITLED TO KEEP???

I can assure you that you would never succeed in buying a property from anyone I know as they all require a deposit to take their property off the market and protect themselves against any potential losses.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If a signed contract had been entered into and not completed, legal action could be taken to recover the 10% deposit (at least), but I agree that it would be far easier to receive a deposit which you could just keep.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@robbie-b

So Terry, having said that, which is what I expected westinvest would say in response to my question, you agree that it would be far cheaper and more secure to take a deposit right?

It seems westinvest is under the impression the deposit cannot be kept if the deal falls over.

As for not paying a deposit, as a vendor, if I did not receive a deposit, I would not consider it a valid contract as no ‘consideration’ has been provided by the buyer and I would sell to anyone else who offered me more and paid a deposit. I don’t think I would lose in any court on the grounds of ‘no consideration’ by the initial ‘buyer’.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of apostleapostle
    Participant
    @apostle

In WA.. Depends at what stage the sale is at.. If a deal falls over due to a condition of contract, (ie: subject to..) then the (any) deposit paid is refundable (less any bank fees ot charges) Deposits over $500 can be placed in an interest bearing account (for you) if so requested by the Purchaser.

The question of ‘consideration’ is a good one. The law of contact does (I believe.. I’m not a lawyer) that some form of consideration (can be a dollar) be exchanged..

Still I’m with Investinwest on this one. I don’t want to tie up cash reserves for months. We may have a number of deals on the go and some of the complex ones may take a long while before settlement. I know of investors that pay only $50 deposit on deals..

The amount of deposit paid doesn’t really make the deal happen.[cigar]

Apostle

@robbie-b

Apostle, I agree. But you are referring to some amount being paid even though nominal. It is a lot different to no deposit at all.

As for WA, I am familiar with purchasing there. I have a place in Queens Park WA and one in Geraldton. Both of these had no ‘subject to clauses’ as I offered to remove them as a negotiating point. Also, the deposit on one place was $1,000 ($239,000 purchase), and the other was $2,000 ($60,000 purchase for two properties).

In both situations, if I pulled out, they would have to take me to Court. Even if the clauses were left in but I pulled out for another reason, they would still have to take me to Court. They were both long settlements.

Deposit Bonds are a good option for not wanting to tie up dollars but they are still a ‘deposit’.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

@westinvest

That is the biggest load of RUBBISH I have heard.

Please tell me how your simple idea of no deposits helps you when the buyer pulls out at the last minute due to a property price slump and you have lost three or four other willing buyers who are now no longer willing. How are you going to recover the deposit which YOU WOULD BE ENTITLED TO KEEP???

I can assure you that you would never succeed in buying a property from anyone I know as they all require a deposit to take their property off the market and protect themselves against any potential losses.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

With out getting personal Mortgage Adviser it would seem you have lots to learn about how to buy and sell property if you can’t see how to buy or sell with no Deposit.
    Oh and we will be making $100,000 this f/year with just 2 sales (Prive Sales at that) and no Deposits to be seen, put that in your pipe.
    Maybe you need to fine better people to buy from, the people you know now are ripping you off Mortgage Adviser.

“How are you going to recover the deposit which YOU WOULD BE ENTITLED TO KEEP???”

Are now I see what the big attraction is with these $2000 – $5000 plus Deposits you “hope never to give them back”

You hope to make something from the Deposit if the sale falls through and then move onto the next pore smuck.

I have never had an offer not ACCEPTED that I have put in with “NO DEPOSIT.”
    SO ITS NOT JUST ME taking offers with no Deposit I’m dealing with BIG BOYS who have no qualms
    with selling to me (us) with NO Deposit.

Must go, Money to Make. [biggrin]

@robbie-b

I can see exactly how to buy and sell without deposit. I just think it is a ridiculous idea. You suggest I have a lot to learn, but I think it is you who needs an education regarding basic contract law and the cost of litigation should things fall over.

You ignored a scenario I put to you. I will offer another…

Say someone offered to buy your property for $200,000 with no deposit and a 6 month settlement period. You chose this person over 3 others offering the same.

Disregarding the subject-to-finance clause, during that time, they lose their job and want out. Also, the RBA increased the cash-rate three times and a plane hit centrepoint tower and took out the financial sectors communications for 2 weeks.

Your property drops in value to $180,000 as people are trying to sell at any price and you need to sell. The best offer you can now get is $175,000 with another 6 months settlement.

Another plane takes out your local shopping centre and the RBA increases rates by another 3%. Your property value comes down to $150,000 and the new buyer has gone bankrupt. What would you do????

Would you be telling me I have a lot to learn?

What would I do?

Would I be laughing at you for not getting a 10% deposit?

Regarding me finding better people to buy off, I have never asked for no deposit. I always offer $1,000 per property or nothing with long settlements. I always get it or I don’t buy that particular property. It is called ‘consideration’ to ensure the contract is enforceable from my end if the vendor tries to ‘gazump’ me. Do you know about ‘gazumping’???

Regarding deposits, of course I would never give them back if someone pulled out of a deal for no good reason. I have never encountered this so it is not an issue. I can assure you that they would need a damn good reason for wanting it back if they didn’t have an out in the contract because it would have cost me money. Selling property is not a charitable business! I am starting to wonder who has a lot to learn????

With regards to your $100,000 this fin year from 2 sales, I made more than that with none. Who cares????? I prefer custom mades though (no pipes)!!!

I suppose you also sell a car without a deposit as well? Do you let the buyer test drive it without providing you with their ID or license?

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

@westinvest
    Originally posted by apostle:

In WA.. Depends at what stage the sale is at.. If a deal falls over due to a condition of contract, (ie: subject to..) then the (any) deposit paid is refundable (less any bank fees ot charges) Deposits over $500 can be placed in an interest bearing account (for you) if so requested by the Purchaser.

The question of ‘consideration’ is a good one. The law of contact does (I believe.. I’m not a lawyer) that some form of consideration (can be a dollar) be exchanged..

Still I’m with Investinwest on this one. I don’t want to tie up cash reserves for months. We may have a number of deals on the go and some of the complex ones may take a long while before settlement. I know of investors that pay only $50 deposit on deals..

The amount of deposit paid doesn’t really make the deal happen.[cigar]

Apostle

Thank you apostle,
    For getting us back on the rail’s.
    Mortgage Adviser, as for you ravings about centre point tower and “My local shopping centre copping it”, my goodness what a sad story. gazumping lal yes I know, I know lal)
    Maybe we do things a little different here in W.A.
    I’m sorry I said “rubbish” M/Adviser.

[exhappy]

@robbie-b

Thank you westinvest. I agree that WA is certainly the gentleman’s (gentleperson’s) State when it comes to property investing but in Sydney, I believe it is essential to protect yourself when it comes to property dealings. The best way to do this as a vendor is by holding a decent deposit.

Anyway, congratulations on your successes to date.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of streetstreet
    @street

I read the views on deposit they were interesting.I believe it isnt law to cough up deposit but if selling I think its wise .I had a experience where I had 6 month wait from person wanting to back out. I was offered a settlement from deposit otherwise would have nothing.so both are right depends how smart or tough you are in buisness.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

……..
    As for not paying a deposit, as a vendor, if I did not receive a deposit, I would not consider it a valid contract as no ‘consideration’ has been provided by the buyer and I would sell to anyone else who offered me more and paid a deposit. I don’t think I would lose in any court on the grounds of ‘no consideration’ by the initial ‘buyer’.
    ………

Rob, I think you will find that consideration does not have to be in the form of a deposit. If someone has signed a valid contract, then the consideration is the promise of payment. So a deposit would not really be necessary.

But I am no lawyer.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.