All Topics / Help Needed! / Buy In Brsibane?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of jeweljewel
    @jewel

I have been told by many to hold off on buying property in Brisbane as there will be a interest rate rise and property prices aren’t going up.

Should I wait till next year ?

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

thats a pretty all encompassing statement… what part of Brissy are you considering, and was it Ian McFarlane who gave you the interest rate tip??

cheers

brahms
    Purveyor of Fine Finances
    aka Mortgage Broker Brisbane

Profile photo of jparsonsjparsons
    @jparsons
    Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    Originally posted by jewel:

Should I wait till next year ?

YES!

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

I would just stay away from anything off the plan in high rise developments. Houses are always great to look at. Don’t worry about Foundation’s response. He is a member of a very exclusive club which seems to be growing in popularity. They are known as the ‘DOOM & GLOOMERS’.

The Mortgage Adviser

http://www.themortgageadviser.com.au
    [email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Wow Rob – that’s pretty strong stuff…

The question was a pretty general crystal ball gazing / pondering exercise.

I wonder about the two following aspects to your reply ;

1. Why do you believe your crystal ball is any more accurate than anyone else’s ??
    2. What do you base such strong opinions upon, how many decades have you been investing for, and how many $ MM’s of dollars do you have at risk in the property market ??

To speak with such conviction on so many varied and intricate subjects, you must of been in the game 50 years and have 60 or 70 MM exposure. surely. I’m astonished really…

@robbie-b

I thought I was being funny!!!

I don’t have a crystal ball but I do have common sense. I have been advising against off-the-plan high rise stuff in Brisbane since mid last year. There is a clear over supply which always results in one thing – price decreases.

My opinions are my own and, as is typical with most ‘older’ people, they think dollars and years have something to do with knowledge. If you do something for 20 years and do it wrong does not make you any better than someone doing it for 1 week who does it right. Also, different people learn at a different pace.

Instead of trying to make me look stupid with nothing comments as are contained in your post, why don’t you share your pearls of wisdom or provide evidence to the contrary of what I speak about?

Do you find it difficult not to gain a good knowledge about a variety of ‘related’ subjects and unrelated subjects?

As for being astounded, don’t be. I haven’t even started yet.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

[rolleyesanim]

Hey Jewel where were you looking at purchasing specifically?

Maybe put some more details onto your post for a more varied response from people on the Forum, there are Brisbane Investors on this site also.

Interest Rates will rise..someday, but the sun will rise everyday

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

PS- If rates go up and property prices are staying flat..why the *heck* would you wait?

You’d prefer to pay more interest?

: )

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

@foundation
    Originally posted by redwing:

PS- If rates go up and property prices are staying flat..why the *heck* would you wait?

Brisbane house prices aren’t on average or the whole currently increasing. Short of a miracle there is no reason for them to do so in the foreseeable future – in fact the experience in the areas that boomed first and recent REIQ figures would indicate that Brisbane house prices are falling[1] and will continue heading back down to more rational levels without any further external pressure. Add a rate hike or two, and prices will fall faster and further.

Let’s have a look at how this might hypothetically play out for a first time buyer:
    If home loan interest rates were to hit 9% in 2006, a drop in house prices of 20% (in real terms) would be absolutely on the cards.

For our example, imagine 2 individuals, both with a maximum weekly accommodation budget of $320 are buying
    PPORs.

The first borrows:
    $205k at 7.07% today. (For simplicity lets assume they can lock in 7.07% over 30 years)
    $317 p/w repayment for 30 years
    $289,000 total interest payments

The second waits 18 months, setting aside the savings they make by renting (let’s say $120 p/w). S/he can now buy an equivalent PPOR for $160k. With the accumulated savings, the loan required is:
    $150k at 9% (once again lets assume constant rates for the loan period)
    $317 p/w repayment for 19 years
    $163,000 total interest payments

After 19 years the first has finished paying off their PPOR and start saving or investing their $317p/w.
    After 30 years, the second person has paid off their house, spending a total of $494k.
    Meanwhile the first person has paid off their house (9.5 years earlier) for $243k and also invested a further $157k (or at 7% compounding such as bank interest – $211k, at 10% compounding eg shares – $261k).

So which is of most benefit to the buyer – lower interest rates or lower house prices?

Jewel, who would you rather be?
    At any rate (pun unintended), you have nothing to lose by waiting a year or two and investing the savings you make by renting. Remember that when investing, a low risk situation with a higher potential return is almost always a better option than a high risk situation with very little potential upside.
    Cheers, F.[cowboy2]

*All advice should be taken as general examples and do not take into account the personal circumstances of any individual. Besides, I just make stuff up…
    Ok, for the pedants among us, here’s a link:

[1] Saturday, 7 May 2005
    Brisbane’s median house price declined by 3.0 per cent over the quarter- the most dramatic fall in prices since the last housing downturn in 1994-95.
    Link
    @robbie-b

How about including an example whereby you keep renting and buy an investment property to show some more appropriate figures. Your example misses a lot. For example, most of the decrease in value has already occurred and it is unlikely that you price in example 2 would be achieveable on a decent property. It may well be achieveable on high density units which is why you would not touch them.

There are always properties moving both ways.

The Mortgage Adviser

[email protected]
    Essential Links

Profile photo of jeweljewel
    @jewel

If interest rates were on the rise wouldn’t banks be increasing their fixed rates?

To add more detail to my topic I’m looking at buying at Nudgee Beach

Profile photo of Colin GowanColin Gowan
    Participant
    @colin-gowan

Don’t be a sheep.
    Go the opposite way to the flock.
    A buyers market is when the majority are selling.
    A sellers market is when the majority are buying.

First things first do your homework.
    If you seek advice from someone consider how that person prospers with his or her opinion and investments.

Do your homework, never stop this, worst case it will be practice and will provide contacts.

Plan your future investments with an increase of 2 to 3% in interest above interest rates at the time.
    This way if nothing happens with rates you are making extra payments which adds an extra margin for error.
    If the rates go up you are prepared.

Worth considering your investment options if rates go up and the sheep start selling at reduced prices.
    Remember the best return on your investment is made at the beginning not the end.
    And with your continuous well practiced search for opportunities you will be ready to go.
    “Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present.” Jim Rohn

Email [email protected].
    Fax 0246482374.
    Mobile 0425201055.
    For all your CLEANING and GARDENING work.

@foundation
    Originally posted by Colin Gowan:

A buyers market is when the majority are selling.
    A sellers market is when the majority are buying.

In real estate agent land maybe. In clever investor land:
    A buyer’s market is when you can buy an asset for the lowest price with the highest yield, most capital gain potential and least chance of capital loss.
    A seller’s market is when you can sell an asset for above its rational value – ie when the yield on current sale price makes it unattractive, yet there is buyer demand (google “greater fool theory” for more details).

These ‘market times’ will often be at odds with those you describe Colin, and REAs love those terms, which they misuse to confuse.
    Cheers, F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of apm_finance solutionsapm_finance solutions
    Participant
    @apm_finance-solutions

DONT FORGET … if interest rates go up without a corresponding increase in your income, your borrowing capacity will go down.

Buy when you can afford it and sell when it achieves your pre-determined investment goals.

Overcommitted owners sell at firesale prices. Everyone else just waits for their price to be achieved. I’m certainly not going to sell my house/s cheaper than I paid for it…that is the mugs way to loose money fast. Meanwhile, the rents just keep coming in.

My advice is “Just make sure you are getting INDEPENDANT valuations” either through the lender or pay for one yourself if your lender do not propose to do a val. Your best protection is to accurately know the value of your property today so you know your bottom out figure should things go wrong tomorrow.

Regards
    Tony.
    My comments may not be relevant to your individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of jparsonsjparsons
    @jparsons

Sorry, I didn’t read all of the replies, but it was suggested in one reply that property prices may decrease in Brisbane?? What!? That was a crazy statement, apologies to those who disagree, but really! Have a look at recent town planning, change in categories to create higher density housing, migration levels to Queensland, namely around Brisbane, the distance Brisbane is still behind Melbourne and Sydney, continual infrastructure increases, and possibly magnify this 3 fold.

The key is to be positioned and informed, if you have both of these, then there will always be opportunities to jump on- especially in Brisbane, and they are out there now!

Hope this helps,

J.

J.

Participant
    @brahms
    Originally posted by jewel:

If interest rates were on the rise wouldn’t banks be increasing their fixed rates?

To add more detail to my topic I’m looking at buying at Nudgee Beach

hi Jewel, no not really, they just buy it and re sell it to you at an appropriate margin – very difficult to make conclusive trends from this sort of comparison.

i don’t know nudgee outside of the golf course, which is quite ok btw.

cheers

brahms

Participant
    @brahms
    Originally posted by jparsons:
    Brisbane is still behind Melbourne and Sydney

jparsons – people use this jargon a lot, it’s a bit of a nonsense really (promoted heavilly by realtors of course) when you consider –

– comparitive populations of Syd, Mel and Bris
    – comparitive economies of each

Brissy is a great place no doubt, but now that our medium house price is neck and neck with Melbourne, and our population isn’t half of Melbourne, B = 1.7m M = 3.6m, i feel there is a bit of a discrepancy, Maybe Melbourne is cheap.

Qld net immigration is great, so long as they aren’t all disenfranchised brain dead unskilled welfare dependant loosers moving here to get a better tan due to our ‘positive sunflow’ status.

Or worse, thrifty old retirees who glut up our roads doing 47.5k’s, turning left from the right lane with miserly useage of turning indicators!!

I have seen research indicating Qld is suffering a brain drain to the southern states….simply put, the good money in Australia ain’t north of the border.

Infrastructure….mmm, i’d say its poor at best(we simply have a smaller population spread over a larger geograhical area – Brissy is the largest city ‘geographically’ in Aust. – in terms of infrastructure this isn’t a good thing).

We have a skeletal rail network, no trams (a very sad day in 1968 when our learned forefathers dispensed with what is now sorely missed), and a heavy reliance on road transport which has not been supported by any significant roadworks, icb being the only real ‘net’ improvement in 15 years.

granted, there are some great planning initiatives in place….now

Having said all that, i’m not going to sell any of my real estate up here either, long term prospects are really positive – i just think a balanced view is needed sometimes. And i haven’t had a coffee yet, so i may come back and change everything….

cheers

brahms

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.