All Topics / Value Adding / Help on proposal for 4 townhouses

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of Im excitedIm excited
    @im-excited

we have the opportunity to purchase land to construct 4 townhouses (say 2 storey, 3b/r with ensuite and dlug)what would be a ball park figure to build each townhouse and are there any other pitfalls we should be cautious about.

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

Depends where you are and the design, size and finish. I would use a ball park figure of $180 to $200k these days. 1 thing to look out for – talk to some local agents and see if the townhouses are in demand. Remember oldies don’t want stairs, so if it is an area with large blocks and full of oldies looking for low maintenance homes, you will miss a slice of the market. Townhouses also take longer to construct. Be realistic in your construction timeframes, allow up to 2 years for a townhouse.

http://www.megainvestments.com.au

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

Are you allowed to biuld townhouses on the land?

What is the council zoning?

I agree with Ausprop’s ballpark costings but then there are all the other costs including consultants, council fees, holding costs interest.

These may add another %40-%50K per unit

Get a proficient development manager or someone with experience to do a feaibility for you

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

A 4 unit development is quite large for a starting point (I am assuming by your question that you haven’t developed before). Dveloping is a risky business and the larger the development thae bigger the risk, both on the upside and the down side.

If you do not have experience, please get yourself some high quality assistance. If you mention which State the development is, somebody could probably recommend appropriate consultants.

If you’re in Melbourne, Michael’s company would be a good start.

Regards
    Alistair Perry

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

I’m curious to know why you quote $180-$200k for each town house? That sounds like a great deal more than I’d have thought.
    I’ve signed a building contract for a large 4 br + study + lounge double garage + quality stainless steel appliances (dishwasher, stove, oven, rangehood, taps and sink) + some basic landscaping and everything I need for tenents to move in (like carpet, timber flooring, letterbox, clothesline, flyscreens, insurance etc…) for a fixed price of $183k (obviously had to supply land on top)

I’d imagine a 3br town house would take less material and labour, particularly if you are building 4 in one go. I’d have thought you’d get some synergy and economies of scale (ie casting slabs would pretty much take the same time for 1 house as for 4 close together).

Where do the other costs come in? My thought of price range would $130 – $160k depending on what finishes you used plus planning and permits, maybe an extra $20k or so for all that junk.

Is $760,000 (4 x 190k) right or would it be closer to $600,000 (4 x 145k + 20k)?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Surrey

Is your property being constructed by a project builder/ What square metreage is the property.

For a Townhouse develeopment you are probably looking at around $1400 / square metre.

Certainly for a project home you an pay as little as $450 / $600 in oure construction costs but you will get what you pay for.

Cheers Richard
    richard at castlewhite.com.au
    Email me for details of our Qld wrap CD which gives you a full Installment Contract.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Sailesh CSailesh C
    @sailesh-c

Hi

Around $1200 per sqm for townhouses these days so $180 to $200k is about right. Construction costs will vary between types of dwellings.

Your simplest type of dwelling is a low set brick and tile home and here you will pay under $800 per sqm for a decent turn key product. Prices increase as you go to a double storey and even more for a town house. Unit dwellings cost around $3000 sqm plus.

Having carried out numerous feasibilities on townhouse projects I have come to the conclusion that the only ones that can make reasonable profit out of these types of projects are builders or land bankers.

The vast majority of projects I looked at showed around 12 to 15% profit. I feel that you would to make double this profit for such a project to be viable.

You also want the higher return for the extra risk associated with such a large project as well as the longer time frames….although our projet manager managed to complete a townhouse project in Morningside in 12 months.

You need to be careful with your due diligence and ensure you have a good manager looking after your project.

Sailesh Channan

http://www.developersedge.com.au

“Helping you select,develop and profit from property”

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Sailesh

We just completed 1 in Carina (9 Townhouses) in 9 months so it can happen if you co-ordinate and plan well.

I however agree you need to be a builder or land banker to make a decent return. I woulnt do a project these days for less than 25% return. Thankfully we land banked over the last 5 years in Brissie and can now reap the rewards.

Cheers Richard
    richard at castlewhite.com.au
    Email me for details of our Qld wrap CD which gives you a full Installment Contract.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of rmittlal1rmittlal1
    @rmittlal1

Hi!
    I am doing two backyard subdivisions in Melbourne. I find that it is profitable to sell the land rather than build and sell. In Mooroolbark area of Melbourne, I can sell a 600 m2 back yard for say 120-130k. If I build a 3 bed basic house, it costs about 150k (with driveways/landscaping) totalling say 280k. I can only sell it for 275-280k. So why build?

In Forest Hill area probably there is margin of about 40/50k for building a house and selling.

Does it mean a development outside say 30kms of Melbourne is only profitable for a builder owner or if only undervalued land is sold out?

Please help me clarify the thoughts.

Rocks

Profile photo of surreyhughes19905surreyhughes19905
    @surreyhughes19905

Hi,
    The house is being built, admitedly, by a bulk house building company and it works out at $855/sq etre (214 sq metre house).

So there are lots of people agreeing a town house can cost more than double that and I’m not about to disagree. But what is it about town houses that makes them expensive?

In my understanding on a town house it is a small house, usually without a backyard. I would have thought a small house would be cheaper, not more expensive.

Can someone please explain?

Profile photo of LuciLuci
    @luci

You would find few constructions costing less per square metre than one built by a bulk house building company. They build to the minimum legal specifications, and don’t really expect the houses to last long in the scheme of things. They also have a cookie cutter approach whereby they use the same few designs over and over – cutting down on design and engineering expenses, and they are able to buy their material in bulk as they build hundreds of these properties each year.

For a new development, you’re starting from scratch. You will need to consult a designer/architect, engineer and hire someone to oversee the project. You don’t have the same economies of scale, even if you are building 4 townhouses (this is a small development as far as suppliers are concerned). Expenses are naturally going to be higher per square meter.

One thing that I imagine your 4 bedroom house has is a lot of big glass windows in every single room. This is cheaper to install than brick wall, which is one of the reason why big builders go overboard with floor-to-ceiling glass windows. Townhouses, on the otherhand, are compact living spaces that exist side by side with other townhouses. Structurally, practically and for privacy there needs to be a greater brick to window ratio.

In my understanding on a town house it is a small house, usually without a backyard. I would have thought a small house would be cheaper, not more expensive.

A small townhouse *is* usually cheaper than a large house, just not on a *per square metre* basis. How big were you planning on building these townhouses? Generally they use space very well, so even a three bedroom townhouse can be under 100sqm. This is one of the reasons that good design is essential – to give tenants everything they need in half as much space.

And size of backyard is pretty irrelevant, as this is not part of the square meter cost.

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop
    Originally posted by Sailesh C:

Hi

Around $1200 per sqm for townhouses these days so $180 to $200k is about right. Construction costs will vary between types of dwellings.

Your simplest type of dwelling is a low set brick and tile home and here you will pay under $800 per sqm for a decent turn key product. Prices increase as you go to a double storey and even more for a town house. Unit dwellings cost around $3000 sqm plus.

Having carried out numerous feasibilities on townhouse projects I have come to the conclusion that the only ones that can make reasonable profit out of these types of projects are builders or land bankers.

The vast majority of projects I looked at showed around 12 to 15% profit. I feel that you would to make double this profit for such a project to be viable.

You also want the higher return for the extra risk associated with such a large project as well as the longer time frames….although our projet manager managed to complete a townhouse project in Morningside in 12 months.

You need to be careful with your due diligence and ensure you have a good manager looking after your project.

Sailesh Channan

http://www.developersedge.com.au

“Helping you select,develop and profit from property”

it is for these very reasons that I believe townhouses present excellent value for retail buyers. I have been tempted to buy other peoples townhouses as I have seen some where I really believe they are being sold at or below replacement value. As you say, only a land banker or a builder could be making a profit on it.

Price objections by the public to the cost of higher density housing is a real problem for agents. Our society is so fixated on ‘more is better’ and the dream of the McMansion. Recently we packaged some 3×2 cottage lots that were a fantastic design but worked out being the same price as the 4×2 houses…. it all came down to the linear metres of the boundary of the house. Which was more suited to todays household though?

http://www.megainvestments.com.au

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Hi there i’m excited – expect that there will be lots of problems, that way when they come you will handle them better.

I am about to start building 22 x 2bd townhouses and have neg. a fixed price building contract with a great building company in SE QLD.

I know my resale price and predict the profit (best i can +-5%) so i will give the building head aches to some one else while i focus on other things.

resiwealth

Profile photo of chelncheln
    Participant
    @cheln

Hi there as a builder I would like to point out the increase in labour and material costs approximatly 2% per month excessive (yes) but true. also the lack of quality trades people hense the changes to training programs in the industry, make sure you cheak there licence details first.

Profile photo of Im excitedIm excited
    @im-excited

Thanks to all the wonderful people who replied. I will admit I was a bit nervous taking on such a big project. We were dong all the due diligence checks and we were spending hours reading the forum boards, but in the end the vendor upped the selling price and that was enough to make me pull out. Units in Been leigh Qld were selling for around $280K and we just couldn’t see much of a profit in the deal anymore.
    A very special thanks to all those members who wrote to us, this is a great website for information, how lucky we are!
    Be humble
    PS we have since purchased a fabulous 2 storey house just screaming out for a makeover!
    Be humble

Profile photo of RellieRellie
    @rellie

Hi All

Just a thought – but have you thought about tilt up’s? Might pay to look into.

Cheers.
    Rellie!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.