All Topics / Help Needed! / what to ask when inspecting properties

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of kristelvkristelv
    @kristelv

i am a student on the gold coast looking at potential investment properties (for my parents, as i will be studying for the next 4 odd years)…i would really appreciate any advice on what to ask agents when shown various places. I know what price range we’r looking for and to get details such as land size and how old the places are but im really not sure whats important to know and what to find out…PLEASE HELP!!

Profile photo of LuciLuci
    @luci

Be aware that the real estate agent doesn’t work for you, so their answers to any questions will be skewed to elicit a sale.

You need to be a master of you own destiny here, and do research on what type of ‘investment property’ you are looking for. The Gold Coast is full of smooth operators trying to sell shoddy apartments/houses to the uneducated and gulible – so make sure you don’t fall into this category.

It actually sounds to me like the real question for you to be asking isn’t “what should I ask agents” but “what is a good investment property”.

Seeing you’re looking on behalf of your parents, maybe you should ask them what they are looking for exactly. Is cash flow a priority or is it more about capital growth? Are they wanting a property that is already leased to a tenant? Do they want something that is slightly run down that they can add-value to? Are they interested in residential property, commercial property, or holiday letting?

The real issue when purchasing an investment property isn’t the cost, size or age of the property – it is how much of a return you will get on your money. Property is a long term investment, with a hefty upfront expense, so you want to make the right decsion for today and the future.

You can ask a real estate agent how much rent s/he thinks you will be able to get for a property, but they will give you an optomistic response. They may also fluff around with the vacancy rate in the area (and you may find yourself purchasing a property that sits empty half the year). They will quite possibly say vague things like ‘this is a popular area with professionals’ that will have no real grounding.

It is therefor up to you to know what you are looking for before going to an agent, so that you can spot the fictions from the facts.

A good place to start is to read a book or two (or ten) on property investing in Australia so you get some idea of various property investing strategies. The magazine Property Investor makes for a good ongoing read. Check out http://www.businessmall.com.au if you want to subscribe (they also sell a heap of property books online – but check your library first).

The guy who runs this site, Steve McKnight, has written a couple of worthy books on the topic – but there are a mulititude of books by various authors that all follow their own strategies. It’s a good idea to read more than one author so that you can pick the strategy that feels best for you and your situation. Also be mindful of any books that are older than a couple of years, as the market has had a dramatic slow down recently so different tactics are required than when working in a hot market.

Profile photo of neo25x5neo25x5
    @neo25x5

i think luci has well and truly canvassed your enquiry. Its worth noting again that the vendors agent is motivated to sell the property to you. its a good idea to show as little as emotion as possible during inspections (don’t be saying, “oohh, this mauve looks beautiful on the walls….”). To satisfy yourself of the property’s structural soundness, get a building inspector to look over the property before making an offer.

Eric

Profile photo of kristelvkristelv
    @kristelv

thanks for the feedback!
    meanwhile this is becoming more complicated by the minute…we need a place to actually live in while we complete our degrees. We dont want to have to renovate so something low maintenance, that we can make a profit off (hopefully) at the end of 5 years.

could anyone recommend areas on the gold coast…i have been looking at places in areas around both our universities (griffith and bond) but am just not sure…the robina area is seeing a lot of growth and that would seem to be the better choice than say parkwood and arundel

Profile photo of ez-rentez-rent
    @ez-rent

Hi kristelv

Some time ago a very kind soul gave me a detailed property checklist which I added into my EZ-Rent program.

Have a look at this.. will cost you nothing :-)

[email protected]

EZ-Rent. The free tax and cashflow simulator for Australian property investors. Version 2 out now!
    http://www.ez-rent.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.