All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Do you really need a company/trust?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of shorter27816shorter27816
    @shorter27816

I keep reading about setting up structures for property investing. I understand the reasons for doing so is asset protection and taxation benefits – but I’m still confused.

My husband and I have 4 IP’s two in both our names (+cf) and two in his name only – negatively geared. He is in the top tax bracket and I am in the lowest. Because he is in the top tax bracket we can claim more back than if we were paying company tax rate of 30%. Also we have insurance policy on all properties which includes public liability in the case someone sues us.

We are intending to buy more properties and I want to make sure we have correct structure in place.

Also my hubby is reluctant to spend money unnecessarily. He currently does our tax (he is a local government accountant not a CPA) so we don’t have anyone to ask for help that we know or trust.

I know this is long and confusing but if someone could give me some advice or give me the name of a trusted accountant/solicitor in the Bundaberg area would be great

Thanks
    Lee

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Just think long term. Having properties in your husband’s name may save you a bit of tax now, but these properties will become positive geared eventually, and if he is on the top bracket…..half will disappear. Also what would happen if you had to sell one of these? He would have to wear the capital gain on top of other income. Having a trust can help minimise this.

Insurance is good, but what if you go bankrupt? Trust assets may be safe.

There are also estate planning benefits with a trust. this could save your estate CGT and stamp duty fees.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Old School SkataOld School Skata
    @old-school-skata

Lee,

In regards to the public liability on your properties, i believe each policy will only cover events occurred on that particular property.

Scenario 1 Eg tenant in house 1 trips over steps and goes through a plate glass window which makes a hell of a mess of tenant. In this instance you may be covered by that policy. However if someone else sues you personally (eg slander, misappropriating funds, killing the neighbours movie star dog with stones when you were mowing whatever) then your assets on up for grabs and it depends on how good your solicitor is compared to theirs. Despite have these public liability policies – they are not going to cover you if an incident occurs that has nothing to do with your properties. A trust may offer some protection here.

Scenario 2 Consider this. Hubby is laid off and can’t find new job…not enough income coming in, negatively geared properties are eating into your savings. You decide to sell one of the Neg geared properties as value has gone up lots and you’ve had it for years. You sell, make 200,000 capital gain. But hang on, property is in hubby’s name so he is liable for the tax – up to 48500 of gain is lost to tax man. Outcome still ok – as you have $151500 left over…. But if you use a trust, the trust can spread this capital gain to beneficiaries to minimise the tax. so you distribute to your children, aunties, uncles, yourself, hubby, private company. This way you will have a more control over your tax situation than if held personally. Heck it is even possible to spread this capital gain around so no tax is payable. The only control you have in paying tax if held personally is when you sell it (in next financial year or a year with little income earnt by the hubby) – but if you need money fast, then this timing issue cant be controlled.

Different strokes for different folks. At the very least you should discuss it with qualified individuals.

As for finding these qualified individuals – try asking these questions

“I would like some advice in using company or trusts to hold our investments in? Do you Mr/Mrs Accountant/Solicitor own investments? Do you use a trust/company to invest through? why/why not? If they don’t use one – find one who does and discuss it with them. Best to talk to someone who practices what they preach. Usually your first interview is a freebie so you may need to interview a few professionals. Try to see some professionals who invest in their own name and in other structures. Get a balance and not a skewed view.

OSS

Profile photo of quy17187quy17187
    @quy17187

Hi Lee,

Sorry can’t tell you of our old accountant in Bundaberg because he went bankrupt! Luckily we changed awhile before that. We now use a Brisbane accountant. No extra trouble with distance.

Cheers.

Profile photo of GrregGrreg
    @grreg

Insurance will NOT cover you if you are criminally negligent.

Imagine this: You are involved in a motor vehicle collison and another party ‘alleges’ injury and sues you. It is found that the tyres on your car are unroadworthy.

In this case your insurance company will run a mile and tell you that you’re on your own. In this case it doesn’t necessarily matter who was at fault in the accident.

Those investment properties in your own name are up for grabs.

Cheers,
    Greg

Profile photo of chrisholt452chrisholt452
    Participant
    @chrisholt452

Dear Lee

The short answer is yes! I have only two rental properties at the moment and am in the top tax bracket so it really didn’t matter, but now I plan to get into IP in a big way. Visited the A/c the other week for less than 2 1/2 k he set up a Family Trust with a Pty Ltd Co. as trustee, I now feel confident in my position as to the right structures and can get on with the business of investing. Peace of Mind is a great thing.

Teach

Just about to get into P/I in a large way with an aim to early retirement and having fun along the way.

Profile photo of NahnaNahna
    @nahna

Visited the A/c the other week for less than 2 1/2 k he set up a Family Trust with a Pty Ltd Co.

Can you tell me what you can do under this?

Cheers

Profile photo of Carlyle81Carlyle81
    Participant
    @carlyle81

2 1/2k is pretty steep we set them up for our clients with Family or Hybrid trusts for just under 2k. Located in Newcastle.

Carlyle

Profile photo of catacata
    Participant
    @cata

Just remember that a trust deed is not the same as a good trust deed. Sometimes a more expensive price can be better in the long run.
    A good trust lawyer can break into most trusts in about 5 minutes. I have seen it done.
    A family trust can also restrict you in a lot of ways. Consider a discretionary trust and if the person you deal with doesn’t know the difference then find someone else.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.