All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Gearing all of my loan – Tax man no like

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Badgers_R_UsBadgers_R_Us
    Participant
    @badgers_r_us

I have just taken the plunge and now have an investment property. I find myself in a bit of a situation in terms of my ability to take advantage of gearing to the full extent of the loan I have against my rental property.

I have a small terrace that I lived in for the past 5 years. It is worth about $360k and I owe about $100k. I just bought another house that I intend to use as my principal residence, with the idea of renting out my old house.

I borrowed 70% of the value of the new property. I could have reduced this significantly by selling my old place and using the capital from the sale to reduce the cost of my principal residence, but this is not in line with my desire to get a few investments under my belt.

The issue is that I could have borrowed against the equity in the investment property to purchase my new house, but the tax office assumes that this money is going to be used on my private home, therefore I can’t claim any tax relief on this portion of the loan.

On the other hand, if I was to sell the property, buy a new investment property and take out a loan for the full amount, I could offset the interest for the total loan. However, if I wanted to keep my existing rental, I’d have to (technically) sell it then buy it back with a $100% loan, which is going to involve a payment of $20k worth of stamp duty.

It understand that one could argue that the money I have borrowed against the rental property and used to buy my home is not for investment purposes, but we’re talking about a technicality here, because I’d like to transfer the lions share of my debt to the rental property, but it would appear I am unable to do this without having to find some way to sell and repurchase, which is going to cost me $20k (Damn you tax man!).

Is this just bad luck, or are there any cleaver or devious people out there? Better still, any deviously cleaver people?

Cheers, Badger.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

This is a problem that many people face.

There are ways to ease the pain, to some extent you may be able to capitalise interest and costs on the investment loan, allowing the new PPOR loan to be paid quicker.

Another option is to use a cashbond (or annuity) and put the monthly proceeds into a 100% offset account linked to your new home loan. THis may work if the purpose of the annuity is to increase borrowing capacity. see http://www.navra.com.au for more info.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Badgers_R_UsBadgers_R_Us
    Participant
    @badgers_r_us

Thanks for the tip Terry.

Profile photo of chockeychockey
    Participant
    @chockey

I have heard that if you redraw some funds from your current loan to pay the deposit on the new house, then it may be possible to claim deductions on the current balance plus redraw amount.

But apparently this applies only if you redraw enough to simply meet the 20% requirement to not pay mortgage insurance. If you redraw to pay the minimum deposit, then you may be able to argue with the ATO about which amount you can tax deduct.

Not clear on this myself yet, but that’s what I have been told.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.