All Topics / Help Needed! / Is now the time to buy?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Oshen – Cheers mate, you’re welcome!
    Det – use the “Quote” button.
    Cheers, F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of padmaa23108padmaa23108
    @padmaa23108

Det,
    At no point in my post was I suggesting to go and buy 10 properties outright. I was merely pointing out how much equity you have and how you are not using it to your advantage. I am saying this with great trepidation, but at the moment seems to me you are making everybody else richer than yourself (taxman etc.,).
    As far as living off debt goes, it is a strategy based on the assumption of capital growth ( from what little I understand so far). I think there might be a few people doing this on this forum.
    If the idea of investing in property is a long term hold strategy, then why should it matter what the cycles are doing – as long as you buy well. don’t you make money when you buy?
    Also Foundation, “to sell now will require vendors in most areas to accept lower offers than they could have expected a year or two ago” – Wouldn’t that mean NOW is the time to buy?

I guess each to their own in this game. It all boils down to what level are you comfortable with. As Oshen was saying if we listen to every piece of advice coming our way, we will never be able to make up our minds.

I was only trying to point out – given your situation – you are wasting your time and money by even indulging in this discussion. You have equity and serviceability even if it were negatively geared for a little period of time. What are you waiting for?
    If I were you, I would be actively looking at using that equity in buying quality property in quality location being close enough to either +CF or neutral, reduce my tax liability, increase my portfolio so that I can retire in the next 5 to 8 years time.
    But then that is me and I am reckless.
    Bye
    Padma

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    Foundation, “to sell now will require vendors in most areas to accept lower offers than they could have expected a year or two ago” – Wouldn’t that mean NOW is the time to buy?

Why buy when prices have started falling? Would it not be better to buy when they have finished falling?
    Cheers, F.[cowboy2]

@padmaa23108

“Why buy when prices have started falling? Would it not be better to buy when they have finished falling?”

When would that be?
    Padma

@foundation

… just before they start going up again![biggrin]
    Stay tuned Padmaa, I’ll let you know.

Profile photo of Michael WhyteMichael Whyte
    @michael-whyte

I’m with foundation on this one.

[sarcasm] Despite popular belief, the real estate market really is cyclical! [/sarcasm] [biggrin]

People who say that if you can afford to hold for the long term then why not buy now are not allowing for the current value of money impact. Inflation will erode any negligible medium term returns leaving you effectively worse off in buying power. Sure, you can buy and hold and still have those houses in 5 years time, but there’s a good chance you’ll be worse off in NPV real terms. You’d be better off putting the cash in to a fixed interest deposit with a big bank or some other investment option (so long as the after tax return exceeds the inflation rate).

Cash flow is only really of concern when you’re looking at servicability. You won’t make your millions out of five bucks a week on $20K down. Its the CG where you make your bucks, and the WHOLE market is headed for a prolonged period of stagnation.

If you can pick the eyes out of it and turn solid returns immediately out of informed buying then that’s a nice approach, but I’d advise flipping it or such then so you don’t get stuck holding it whilst it underperforms for the foreseeable future.

All a bit doom and gloom, but in every cycle there is a downturn! If you’re patient then this will be a good thing in a few years time!!

Ciao,
    Michael.

@michael-whyte
    Originally posted by foundation:

… just before they start going up again![biggrin]
    Stay tuned Padmaa, I’ll let you know.

And just like that Foundation you become a “Valued forum contributor”. The big 300 hey. [biggrin]

@foundation

Thanks Michael. I guess that proves that ‘value’ depends on your perspective![biggrin]

Profile photo of IbuycashflowIbuycashflow
    Participant
    @ibuycashflow
    Originally posted by Michael Whyte:

Cash flow is only really of concern when you’re looking at servicability.

Sorry Michael, I can’t agree with you here. Buying on a 9% yield and borrowing 80% at 7% gives you 2% on everything you borrow. It’s this variance which provides us with excessive returns on capital employed.

Sure, you have to factor in possible interest rate rises that may (will) occur after a fixed rate period, and also a vacancy if it was to occur. In commercial property, which det has also considered, there is generally a lease term, set rent, market or CPI reviews etc etc

You won’t make your millions out of five bucks a week on $20K down. Its the CG where you make your bucks, and the WHOLE market is headed for a prolonged period of stagnation.

I agree your example would not make you millions but don’t rule out the cashflow thing, it can be found and locked in, in any market. If you have to rely solely on Capital Gain then you either need to have all the capital in the first place or a good alternative source of disposable income to service any finance. But also remember that CG can be created, you don’t have to wait for the cycle.

Cheers
    Jeff

Profile photo of detdet
    @det
    Quote:
    Originally posted by padmaa23108:[/i
    At no point in my post was I suggesting to go and buy 10 properties outright. I was merely pointing out how much equity you have and how you are not using it to your advantage. I am saying this with great trepidation, but at the moment seems to me you are making everybody else richer than yourself (taxman etc.,).

Padmaa – I didn’t take that comment too literally, and appreciate the point you made about what are our possibilities. For a newcomer to property investment it seems overwhelming – but slowly I am getting my head around it. Just when you think you’ve got something worked out, someone puts another spin on the idea. I suppose that’s when you have to decide what is best for you.

The taxman is certainly getting richer through us and I am keen to keep as much as I can in our own pockets. I am looking forward to the day that I claim more than just my drycleaning and calculator!

[evo]

@padmaa23108

Hi Det
    “Just when you think you’ve got something worked out, someone puts another spin on the idea. I suppose that’s when you have to decide what is best for you.”

BINGO

“I am looking forward to the day that I claim more than just my drycleaning and calculator!”

GOOD LUCK
    Cheers
    Padma

Profile photo of BigJobsBigJobs
    Participant
    @bigjobs
    they offer 9% for 12 months fixed.
    No, that is not what they are offering at all. That is the current return for people who are/have been invested in the 12 month option.

If you take the 12 month fixed term option, they now offer 9%. Its revised every quarter, so that it could stay the same, increase or decrease. but right now its 9%. It still means they are offering 9% now for 12 month fixed. So what would you call it then Foundation?

By the way I am not advocating city pacific, merely pointing out that its an option which is there to be explored, that’s all.

@foundation
    I am not advocating city pacific, merely pointing out that its an option which is there to be explored, that’s all.

That’s fine BigJobs, nothing personal..
    but this:

they now offer 9%

is misleading. Nowhere in the PDS will you find an offer of 9% profit return on your investment. In fact, read the fine print and you find:

Neither the Public Trustee of Queensland, City Pacific Limited (‘City Pacific’), nor their associates or directors, guarantee the success of this investment, the repayment of capital or any particular rate of return.

The 9% you speak of is the most recent return, and the PDS points out (as it is legally bound) that:

Past performance is not a guide to future performance and returns can change.

So not exactly an offer of 9% on 12 months fixed terms.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for speculating, I just like people to be aware of their risks.
    Cheers, F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Foundation, I have found you to be quite negative to a lot of forumites on a regular basis. We all have differing opinions so lets all be happy about it and move on. Good you have an opinion and share it but we all would like to do the same without a few slices being requoted and belittled as you dont agree.

I feel that Det shoud have a go and not listen to chicken little shouting the sky is falling again and again.

goto LJhooker logan central, Logan central first national and look at the percentage of sold properties there NOW. I dont requote people but you really do get caustic after a while.

The market for townhouses is in a bit of a surge there and a lot of people are catching this wave now. Cap gains an issue, I dont think so. Projections on the townhouse and unit market has them averaging $157k by december and the cheapest is $120k now so with this figure being a struggling $100k 2 months ago it seems you may not have looked as closely as you should have before doing your one line misquote then hassle of all and sundry.

Det, do what you want but do something. Minimogul is right(again) about not being shy and getting into it. I wont be waiting and bought another townhouse which settled 2 weeks ago.

I reno it when the lease expires in July. Have a go.

DD

PS146 Certified Financial Planner and Buyers Agent
    Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

@foundation

No offense DD, but you wouldn’t have a vested interest in talking up Logan ‘townhouse’ investment? How many are you holding for the long term? How many are you flipping for a quick buck?
    Can you please provide a link illustrating the ” Projections on the townhouse and unit market has them averaging $157k by december”?
    I also think it would be prudent to remove your PS146 certification claims if you are going to be giving advice on internet forums (either that or clarify each post with the fairly standard ‘not specific advice… may not suit… investors should consider their specific needs’ etc for arse covering purposes).
    How long did that course take BTW?
    Cheers, F.

@michael-whyte
    Originally posted by Ibuycashflow:
    Sorry Michael, I can’t agree with you here. Buying on a 9% yield and borrowing 80% at 7% gives you 2% on everything you borrow. It’s this variance which provides us with excessive returns on capital employed.

Jeff, My point is that a 2% net yield on money employed will not cover your cost of capital. That isn’t even keeping up with inflation, so in real terms you’re going backwards.

If you have to rely solely on Capital Gain then you either need to have all the capital in the first place or a good alternative source of disposable income to service any finance.

That was my point about servicability. Your cash flow calculations are important, and do need to allow for any potential vacancies/interest rate increases etc. But at the end of the day that’s all just so you can “keep” your asset. You make real money out of it through its untaxed “capital gain”. (I get an LOC against any equity built up as deposit on the next IP, so “spend” my CG without being taxed on it). I believe cash flow is important, but only in servicibility calculations.

My personal gearing preference is for neutral or even slightly negative. This allows me to buy the quality properties near the city centres in postcodes with prices just above the city median. These perform well over the mid to long term in CG relative other market segments. But, as others have pointed out, everyone has their own strategy and should execute it accordingly. This is my strategy and I post it just as an insight to others considering getting into IP. IMHO, too much emphasis is placed on cash flow insted of potential CG.

Cheers,
    Michael.

Participant
    @ibuycashflow
    My point is that a 2% net yield on money employed will not cover your cost of capital. That isn’t even keeping up with inflation, so in real terms you’re going backwards.

Let me explain my raw example:

Purch Price $100k
    Deposit 20k
    Loan 80k @ 7%
    Interest 5600
    Net Rental 9000
    Net Surplus 3400

$3400 / $20000 = 17% which far exceeds inflation and bank rates. Then take into account depreciation and other non-cash deductible allowances and the internal rate of return is even greater. Capital gain is a bonus if your figures are done correctly in the first place.
    Through cross collateralisation the property could be 100% financed giving a net surplus of $4000.

I know this is not much but given the available equity apply these principles to a $2m property and you’ve just added $40k a year onto your income. That $40k is then applied to more cash flow positive properties. Its making money from”other people’s money” (OPM), wholesale rate plus retail margin.

Steve is doing this with his wraps, the banks do this with their lending spreads, the grocer does it with his fruit and veges.

I’m all for Capital Gain but my point was you can get wealthy on cash flows alone.

Cheers
    Jeff

@michael-whyte

Jeff,

Good worked example, and I admit I didn’t factor that it was an IRR return on your money, but considered your money employed, but I think money employed is important as the leverage increases your potential gain/loss.

My concern with the example given is that you’re making only $3.4K on your $100K employed. One of the real benefits of real estate as an investment vehicle is leverage. ie you can borrow big money from the banks at 80% LVR which you can put to good use to make you more money. As you put it using OPM!

I’d say 3.4% is not such a great use of this leverage. Sure you’re making 17% IRR on your 20% down, but there’s a lot of risk involved. If the interest rates go up by 2% then your neutral (virtually). If you get some prolonged vacancy then this hurts too. And, if the property drops in value to say $80K then you’re net return is -$16,600 for the year! In that case your IRR is -83% and not +17%.

Leverage works both ways, and I think the CG/CL is not given the amount of weight in the calculations that it should. I think this is because the cash flow is easier to predict and doesn’t rely on some estimated projection of value.

I agree that if you can lock a $3,400 return on $20,000 down then this is nice, but it ties up $100K of your borrowing power and is quite risky without due consideration of future CG/CL etc.

IMHO,
    Michael.

Participant
    @ibuycashflow

As I said Michael, it was a raw example. But if the price dropped to $80k would that not be a capital loss of $20k no matter which strategy you used.

Why is it that we apply one scenario for one strategy and a reverse scenario for the other strategy.

For $2m you could buy a service station leased to an oil company or a motel on a 20 year lease. Long term guaranteed cash flow, regular rent reviews, ratchet clauses, low maintenance. It beats buying a vacant block and waiting for the capital gain to kick in.

Cheers
    Jeff

@michael-whyte

Jeff,

I agree that you can make money out of cash flow alone, but my point is that regardless of which strategy you adopt, CG/CL is far more important than marginal cashflow considerations. Cash flow might make 1-2% difference on equity employed depending on the selected property, but CG/CL can make 10-20% or more difference on your ultimate IRR.

I agree that cash flow is important when considering whether you can service the loan, but my “primary purchasing criteria” is always the potential medium to long term capital gain/loss. If I can select a portfolio of quality properties which can return 10% pa on capital employed then I consider this far more beneficial than 3.4% positive cash flow with no capital gain. This is even more exacerbated when you consider the after tax returns of each approach whereby your 3.4% becomes 1.7% and the CG remains 10% untaxed.

As always, its horses for courses, but to overlook the impact of capital gain/loss in your IRR calculations is to ignore the most significant potential lever of personal wealth creation in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Michael

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.