All Topics / Help Needed! / sub divisions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of PennyleonardPennyleonard
    @pennyleonard

Has anyone any information or experience with sub division, council requirements and turn around times?

Thanks

Profile photo of detdet
    @det

Hi

We subdivided in Sydney a few years ago. There is more than meets the eye when it comes to subdividing. First there is council approval to see that subdivision is actually a possibility for your block. All councils have different block-size requirements – it depends whether your are going to do a strata or torrens title. There is water (we had to underground bore across the street which was very expensive) sewer, drainage, services (electricity, telephone), conceptual building drawings by an architect, putting in a driveway (to nowhere as there was no house actually built at this stage) – all council requirements. Water detention basins needed to be excavated and the list goes on. Best to contact your local council and they will have a booklet on what the initial requirements are.

It took us 12 months (our engineer was a little slack though, it could have been shorter I expect).

Good luck.

Det

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Penny,
    It really depends where your subdivision is as it is the local council that sets the rules.
    My subdivision application is still in process and we started in July ’05….
    It is actually “conditionally approved”, which means we still have to submit landscaping plans and engineering drawings, and hope they like them.
    Of course, I recently read in the paper that the local council I am dealing with were voted “worst” in metro Vic, by land surveyors on subdivision turnarounds/approvals! Just my luck!
    Good luck,
    Sue [biggrin]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Hiya Diclem,

Is that just a typo or are you in some sort of timewarp ??

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Hi Penny,

The actual subdivision does not take a long time, what takes time is the planning process. In most cases you need a planning permit before you are able to subdivide. The length of time for this at least three months if there are no problems and a minimum of 6 months if it ends up going to appeal, and possibly much longer.

If you are planning on doing a subdivision, make sure it works on a 12 month turnaround for the planning permit. Not many take that long, but it is possible.

If you are in Victoria, have a look at http://www.dse.vic.gov.au which contains the planning schemes for every local government area in Vic, as well as zoning maps.

Regards
    Alistair

Profile photo of GUNALGUNAL
    @gunal

Hi,

I sucessfully did one and this is what I learnt,

1.Always talk to the council first.
    2. If they are not very reluctant employ a consultant who has experience in dealing with the council. Always worth employing experts.
    3. Consider the effort you make and the money you spend will give you reasonable benifit.
    4. Never quit on the first “no”.
    5. Most Councils don’t like subdivisions but if you work on your proposal carefully you can find ways to meet most of their concerns easily.

Good luck

LMG

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Dazzling,
    Yeh, must be a time warp, feels like one sometimes…..ok that was mean’t to be July 04.
    Cheers,
    Sue [biggrin]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.