Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of Rich FarRich Far
    @rich-far

Hi,
    Recently, I had a friend ask if their son(who is on a disability pension), could claim a tax refund on the interest he pays on loans for investment purposes(shares and managed funds).
    Personally, I am not sure in regards to their position. I know that in general, interest paid on investment loans is tax deductible/refundable, however, because the person in question is receiving DSP, they do not pay tax.
    Any help in giving my friend(their son)a solution to their question would be appreciated. There must be many who could use this advice.
    Thankyou,
    Rich Far

Richard Farleigh

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

If he pays no tax then what can he claim it against?

He may find some pos cashflow properties useful?

I am impressed that he has been able to finance his properties on a disability pension! An inspriration to those who feel they have hit their limit!

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If he had no income, he could carry forward losses until he starts making an income in the future. It would not be much use to him/her for a long time (unless he started earning a salary). But if some of his relatives had a discretionary trust setup, he could be an ideal beneificary – especially if he has accumulated a few years of losses.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Rich FarRich Far
    @rich-far

Hi,
    Thankyou for replies.
    I Was given the following advice…if someone on DSP chooses to have tax deducted from their DSP payments, they would then be able to claim a tax return, including a rebate for interest paid on investment loans.
    Any further advice/replieswelcome
    Re:Rich Far

Richard Farleigh

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

if he has taxable income eg from the funds, then interest he has incurred on loans to purchase those investments would normally be tax-deductible and if this exceeds the taxable income the loss could normally be carried forward

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Is a disability pension classed as taxable income? If so, then he could claim negative gearling benefits. But the amounts of tax saved would depend on how much income he is receiving – being a pension, i imagine it would be low.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Rich FarRich Far
    @rich-far

Hi,
    The pension(disability in this case) is not classed as taxable income. However, apparently Centrelink gives the option of volunteering a self designated amount to have taken out/withheld for tax. Apparently, this amount can be as little as $5p/w and I guess the entire collective amount at end of F/Y would be refunded. A form of forced saving plan if you like.
    So…relating to my earlier question, when filling out the tax refund, may this allow also for a refund claim on investment loan interest?
    Thanks again…
    seems a tricky topic.
    Rich Far

Richard Farleigh

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.