All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Will I have to pay Capital Gains Tax?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of pasandbecpasandbec
    @pasandbec

Hello,

I was hoping some of you could give me some good, solid, reliable advise regarding CGT.

This is my situation:

Brought a townhouse in Canberra in Sept. 2002

Lived in it for a year

Moved interstate, began renting a place with my partner and put a tenant in my townhouse.

Brought a new house in June 2004 with partner and have been living in it since August 2004 (when it settled).

I would now like to sell my townhouse in Canberra but am confused about if/how much capital gains tax I will have to pay.

I have been reading other posts about CGT and from what I can gather I would not have to pay CGT if we HADN’T brought our new house (which we are currently living in) and had kept renting. Is this correct?

When people say “if you claim another property as your PPOR” what does that mean exactly? “Claiming”??

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

pasandbec

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi Guys,

Probably not. You can nominate one property. Where you will get caught is if you had been buying and selling other homes that you lived in and not paid tax on those transactions.
    The word claim just means which home you nominate as your PROR.
    Good Luck

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of pasandbecpasandbec
    @pasandbec

Don and Liz,

Thanks for your reply.

Probably not pay Capital Gains Tax, do you mean?

WHERE do I nominate one property? In my 2004-2005 tax return?

Do you mean, by getting cuahgt, buying and selling other homes WHILST my Canberra townhouse is rented out?

Or do you mean EVER? Because I did buy a unit in 2001, that I brought, renovated and sold for a profit (no renting out).

Thanks!

pasandbec

Participant
    @don

Hi,

That’s right. Don’t really need to do anything. If you dispose of an asset it will create what’s called a capital gains tax event.
    However, there are heaps of exemptions such as useds cars (unless its a business) household goods etc etc. As it is exempt then you don’t pay the tax.
    So, in the same way when you dispose of your canberra property, you will answer questions, eg was this property your principal place of residence. In this case yes. Therefore, you qualify for the exemption. IMO only. Obviously, seek professional advice before you proceed and or jump onto the ATO website.
    Best of luck.

Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Participant
    @don

oh, and by get caught I meant, you can only have one PPOR at a time.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I think you could get away without paying CGT this time, by claiming you last place as the main residence. But if you ever sell the current main residence, you could not claim it as your main residence from the date of purchase until you sold the investment. Can only have one main residence at one time – except for a 6 month cross over period.

So you should probably look at which one has gone up more, and if you are ever likely to sell the current one.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

pasandbec,

Sorry, but if you have nominated your house bought in August 2004 as your PPOR you WILL have to pay CGT, of course you can try and get out of it, but I wouldn’t recommend it as the ATO can be heartless if you get caught.

Basically, if you were having your mail addressed to your 2004 PPOR that can be traced back, so if you try and tell the ATO otherwise and things like your old power bills, rates notices etc tell a different story, the ATO will not turn a blind eye.

Bottom line, YES YOU HAVE TO PAY CGT on the sale of your Canberra property, mainly because you did claim a new PPOR and you are only allowed one main residence at any given time.

If you have bought the 2002 property in your name only, and say the 2004 in joint names, your partner (provided he has no other PPOR) can claim the exemption for his share of the property.

Check the ATO website for more info, and ultimately seek professional accounting advice.

Cheers,

Jo

@monopoly
    Originally posted by Terryw:

I think you could get away without paying CGT this time, by claiming you last place as the main residence. But if you ever sell the current main residence, you could not claim it as your main residence from the date of purchase until you sold the investment. Can only have one main residence at one time – except for a 6 month cross over period.

How so Terry, if the current PPOR is the claimed main residence??? Had it (the current) not been the case, or less than 6 months (cross over) this may have been possible, but I cannot see HOW they can be exempt.

Cheers,

Jo

@monopoly
    Originally posted by Don and Liz:
    However, there are heaps of exemptions such as useds cars (unless its a business) household goods etc etc. As it is exempt then you don’t pay the tax.

Don and Liz,

My sister is an ATO employee and this was never mentioned to me, can you please explain where you got this from??? [blink]

Cheers,

Jo

@pasandbec

Monolopy,

It’s obviously a very confusing subject for all LOL

When you say I “nominated” our current residence as our PPOR, where exactly have I done that? On the loan forms?

The Canberra property IS in my name only.
    Our current property, let’s call it the Orange property, is in BOTH our names.

How do we work out my partner’s share of the property? 50/50?

Thanks for your input.

pasandbec

@monopoly

Hi pasandbec,

It is confusing, but unfortunately I can’t say the clarity of its impact has ever escaped me. Not only do I have a sister working with the ATO but I have paid more than $250,000 in CGT in my years of investing!!! So I am familiar with the “what does” and “what doesn’t” qualify for exemption. [blush2]

You don’t have to “nominate” a place as your PPOR as such, that is, you don’t fill in forms or shout it from a rooftop, but if your MAILING address (power, gas, phone) and say electoral role implies that you live at say your ORANGE property, then you have declared it as your place of residence, and although not directly common knowledge to the ATO, they do cross reference with the utilities providers, and bang….you’re found out!!! I am not saying you can’t do it, I’m just saying, if you do and you get caught, be prepared for a grilling.

Now in terms of (as I mentioned in my post to you) IF the original PPOR in Canberra was purchased in YOUR NAME ONLY and then your ORANGE property in joint names, then for you, you will not be CGT exempt (as you have a new PPOR, ie. the current address) HOWEVER….for your partner, provided he does not have another PPOR…his SHARE of the property (depending on the percentage, lets say 50%) will be CGT exempt. With me so far???

Say the CGT bill is 50,000 – 50% discount because you have owned it for more than a year.
    Hence, 25,000
    12,500 (your 50% share) needs to be added to your tax return, but….
    Your partner will be exempt from paying 12,500.

Hope this has helped.

Cheers,

Jo

P.S. Yes the ATO will cross reference with loan documents as well, so joint names on loans will flag them of PPOR purchases.

@pasandbec

Monopoly,

Damn! If I had known this, I would have sold my place in Canberra whilst we were still renting!! No fair! [angry2]

What if I moved back to Canberra and lived in the house for 12 months then sold it, how would that work then?

Thanks for your wisdom.

pasandbec

@monopoly

It’s worth a try!!

But it won’t really make much of a difference, you have 6 years in which you can rent a PPOR and still be CGT exempt, PROVIDED you do not claim another property as your PPOR.

At worst at least your partner is CGT exempt, and quarter of a bill is better than half right??? Don’t worry too much, the CGT for your partner only will probably not be very much, not since 2002 anyway.

Talk to a tax professional, he/she may find a loophole that I may have missed (I’m only human).

Sorry gotta head out, feel free to PM if you have any further questions: only too happy to help.

Good luck!!! [biggrin]

Cheers,

Jo

@pasandbec

Monopoly,

I spoke to my tax accountant and solicitor earlier today who said a couple of things. Could you confirm whether what they said is true (from your undersatnding of it).

My solicitor seemed to think that the CGT would only be calculated on the difference in the value of the property between the time that I first started renting it out to the time that I sell it.
    Is this right?

My tax accountant said that the CGT would be proportioned to the period that it was actually rented for, i.e. I have owned it for 2.5 years and it’s been rented out for 1.5 years of that time, which equals about 60%. Therefore we only pay CGT on 60% of the capital gain.

So for example…

I brought my place for $196,000
    It will sell for around $296,000
    Profit of $100,000
    Capital Gain = say about $85,000 (after expenses, etc)
    50% discount reduces it to $42,500 (for owning/living in more than 12 months)
    60% of that is $25,500
    divide by 2 (my partner’s half) equals $12,750
    30% marginal tax rate (lower income) of $12,700 which equals $3,825 in CGT we have to pay???

Is this right? [blink]

I wish this wasn’t so confusing!

pasandbec

Participant
    @don

Hi Jo,

Has absolutely nothing to do with your mailing address. This history of this particular tax law was to make concession for public servants and others who were posted interstate and overseas for work. ie although they did not live in their old house there was no capital gains tax liability when it was sold. The reason being that you should not be punished for moving away for work etc.
    As your sister will tell you the tax act (looking at a copy now) is 4 brick sized volumes. Almost every assest can incur a CGT liability unless it is exempt. Things like collectable art, wine and cars also incur the liability. ( Would have to be a very diligent taxpayer to declare realized capital value increases in some of these items.
    However, most CGT event relate to contracts and the assignment of property rights such as real estate.
    Don’t take it the wrong way just trying to explain what I was getting at before. The items that are exempt probably won’t increase in capital value anyway.
    Regards

Don and Liz

Email Me | Phone Me

@pasandbec

Ugh! I thought I was confused BEFORE I posted! LOL

[blink][blink][blink][blink][blink][blink][blink]

@monopoly
    Originally posted by pasandbec:

Monopoly,

I spoke to my tax accountant and solicitor earlier today who said a couple of things. Could you confirm whether what they said is true (from your undersatnding of it).

My solicitor seemed to think that the CGT would only be calculated on the difference in the value of the property between the time that I first started renting it out to the time that I sell it.
    Is this right?
    Yes this is correct.
    You will need to have a valuation done for the time you moved out to establish the property’s worth at that time.

My tax accountant said that the CGT would be proportioned to the period that it was actually rented for, i.e. I have owned it for 2.5 years and it’s been rented out for 1.5 years of that time, which equals about 60%. Therefore we only pay CGT on 60% of the capital gain.
    Again he is right.

So for example…

I brought my place for $196,000
    It will sell for around $296,000
    Profit of $100,000
    Capital Gain = say about $85,000 (after expenses, etc)
    50% discount reduces it to $42,500 (for owning/living in more than 12 months)

60% of that is $25,500
    Not at straight forward as this, as you need to know the value of the property at the time you moved out.

divide by 2 (my partner’s half) equals $12,750
    30% marginal tax rate (lower income) of $12,700 which equals $3,825 in CGT we have to pay???
    I am terribly sorry, my mistake, I read your situation the other way round, that is I based this on your IP being in both names, and your new home in just one name (yours) therefore this deduction is not applicable.

Here is a link that you can use to put in the figures you gave me to help you determine the amount you would probably have to pay. Please remember it is a guide only, and many other variables are not considered which can help reduce the amount.
    http://www.cch.com.au/cgi-bin/cgt00isapi.dll/

Based on the information you have given me, I worked it out as follows:

Your COST BASE which is the VALUE OF THE PROPERTY at the time you moved out (let’s say):
    235,200 (a 20% gain in one year)

296,000 Sale price
    235,200 – Value at 2003

60,800 Gain
    30,400 – 50% discount for 12mnth ownership

30,400 taxed at 30% (lowest tax bracket)

9120 is your CGT bill (so far) ESTIMATED
    Bear in mind, no costs have been deducted, medicare levy etc, so this figure will come down even further.

CGT is not straight forward, but it is not as complicated as people make it out to be; the basics are not hard, it’s all the little deductions, conditions etc that confuse the issue. And me confusing your circumstance with YOUR NAME ONLY and JOINT NAMES didn’t help!!!

Sorry about the mix up!!! [blush2]

Cheers,

Jo

@pasandbec

Thanks Jo! You’re a great help!

I did not get an evaluation done at the time I moved out of my Canberra property! Can I get one done NOW??? i.e can they back value it?

I thought the 50% partner thing was a little strange that way, it makes more sense now, thanks for clearing that up for me.

@monopoly
    Originally posted by Don and Liz:
    Hi Jo,

Has absolutely nothing to do with your mailing address. This history of this particular tax law was to make concession for public servants and others who were posted interstate and overseas for work. ie although they did not live in their old house there was no capital gains tax liability when it was sold. The reason being that you should not be punished for moving away for work etc.
    And I agree, you shouldn’t be. This is partly correct, and I say PARTLY because yes you can move overseas on a working visa or transfer etc and not be penalised with CGT should you sell your property back home (no argument there)!! However, you are assumingly renting, staying with friends/family, company is paying for your accommodation etc whilst there; you are not claiming another place as your main residence (in the sense of OWNERSHIP) different ball game!!! If we are talking about being transferred for work overseas, then mailing address is not an issue, but that is not what is being inferred here. For the majority of people, the mailing address has a huge role to play in it. Check the ATO details as to what constitutes a “main residence” (in general terms).
    As your sister will tell you the tax act (looking at a copy now) is 4 brick sized volumes.
    And hurts like heck when it falls off your bookshelf and onto your foot, as mine has done on many occasions!!! [bawl]

Almost every assest can incur a CGT liability unless it is exempt.
    But not every asset is appreciating in value, therefore it stands to reason that they are exempt!!!

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/43486.htm&page=6#P615_59668
    I understand the different between a collectable and a personal asset, but you need to keep in mind that MOST are not going to trigger a CGT event, however can be depreciated against an income generating asset ie. rental property.

Things like collectable art, wine and cars also incur the liability.
    Because as collectibles they are APPRECIATING assets. And although I collect shoes (that is I have a fetish for them) it doesn’t mean these will be subject to, or exempt from CGT!!!

( Would have to be a very diligent taxpayer to declare realized capital value increases in some of these items.
    And not a very wise one should you ever be audited, but then people will try on just about anything to make a claimable deduction, and I guess argued enough you MAY just get away with it. I’m not trying to be difficult here, all I saying is YES YOU’RE RIGHT to an extent but you need to differentiate between an appreciating and an depreciating asset, and their correlation to reducing the CGT event.
    However, most CGT event relate to contracts and the assignment of property rights such as real estate.
    Of course, ownership needs to be established. No seriously, this is very important but many people do not understand this.
    Don’t take it the wrong way just trying to explain what I was getting at before. The items that are exempt probably won’t increase in capital value anyway.
    And therein is your key!!!

I am not taking it the wrong way at all. I personally just think that you need to be very very careful about the things you say in a public forum, that will give those not so clued up on their tax rights the wrong impression. Cars, household items are NOT CGT incurring items, they are DEPRECIATING/ABLE items that can be used to re-calculate the cost base in the event of a sale of a CGT (appreciating) asset.

Thank you for your explanation. I know now what you were referring to, but unfortunately your reference to these items will only confuse those who are not as versed in tax laws, and are here mainly to discuss PROPERTY. [blink]

@monopoly
    Originally posted by pasandbec:

Thanks Jo! You’re a great help!

I did not get an evaluation done at the time I moved out of my Canberra property! Can I get one done NOW??? i.e can they back value it?
    Yes you can, there are valuers specifically versed in this type of thing, especially for CGT purposes where people such as yourself (and I am guilty of it too, I had to have a couple backdated). Remember also, the cost of having this done is also associated with your cost base and needs to be deducted accordingly (approx. cost is $400-$600).
    I thought the 50% partner thing was a little strange that way, it makes more sense now, thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Yes again, sooooooo sorry, it was late, and I had to rush out!!! [blush2]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.