All Topics / Help Needed! / Experiences with Students?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Profile photo of shaztazshaztaz
    @shaztaz

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a 4 brm house for student accommodation.

Would love to hear of other peoples experiences in regards to renting to students, good or bad [blush2]

Also,
    1. Is it usual or acceptable to have a Feb to Feb lease?
    2. Will I need to install computers and/or internet facilities?

Any other helpful hints would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Regards,

Sharon

Profile photo of TrishClarkTrishClark
    @trishclark

Hi Sharon

Just in the process of securing the same thing except this one is 7 bedrooms all with ensuites and is brand new and be designs specically for students.

The complex does not provide computers and by all accounts the students do not want this as they normally always have there own.

What they want is a rental that covers everything so that they know they have to budget so much each week for there rent. The property I am working on at the moment covers rent, power and gas.

It seems the days have gone where students will except rough accommation as since talking with the student letting office at Canterbury University in Christchurch the rough properties are still waiting to be let after school has started.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Trish

Profile photo of padmaa23108padmaa23108
    @padmaa23108

Hi
    I have just finished converting 2 houses on the same block, one 4BR and another 6BR for student accommodation, they filled almost a month before they were ready. yes, students want quality accommodation, the neater it is the neater they will maintain.
    We have included power,gas, weekly cleaning and internet provision in the rent. they are leased for 48weeks payment for 52 weeks lease, provided they come back. We ended up getting nice kids and their parents are very happy the way it is all set up.
    Costed us upto 20K in doing it all up but chances are we don’t need to look for new students for another 4years atleast. Uni is very happy and are promoting our accommodation and recommending it to students.
    It was hard work assembling 10lots of furniture but it is well worth the effort and the fact that we are going to do the cleaning once a week, we can keep an eye on the property.
    I think we have created for us a nice little retirement package. Anymore questions, feel free to ask.
    It was stressful but well worth the effort.
    Padma

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I am doing it too with a 5 bedroom place near a major uni.

So far it has been a very positive experience with few problems that weren’t easily dealt with. A little more hands on than normal rentals but you can have them professionally managed if you so choose.

I would consider another one.

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of shaztazshaztaz
    @shaztaz

Thanks Clark, Padmaa, & Mortgage Hunter
    for sharing your experiences, that’s very encouraging. [biggrin]

As far as I know (hearsay) student accommodation is in high demand but will check this out directly with the uni.

So far it looks like the way to go.
    Thanks again…
    any more experiences/suggestions/advice etc?

Regards,

Sharon

@padmaa23108

Hi Sharon
    Make up a flyer highlighting all the positives of your accommodation i.e., how close to all the ameneties like bus stops, train stops, supermarkets, to uni etc., what have you included in the rent along with your contactdetails and give it to the student accommodation services at the uni and they will do the rest. Atleast that’s what they did to me.
    May be timing wise it is too late right now because most of the students would have settled, but you could get the place rent it out for about 8 months and come dec, be ready with it. Uni’s normally advertise in their student acc.register around 15 Dec. when the early round of offers go out, you would be getting enquiries.
    Also to maximise your return, see if you can convert the 4br to 5br house. With minimum expense you could turn it into a +CF.
    We definitely are going to continue to invest in this market. Key is the distance to the uni and the ameneties availability.
    Good luck
    Padma

Profile photo of TokyoJoeTokyoJoe
    @tokyojoe

My first tenant was a student. He didn’t have a job but the agent said she had seen his bank account and he had plenty of money (mostly from his doctor-father). I was a student once so I thought I would give him a go. No problem paying the rent, but after about 8 months I got complaints from neighbours about him being noisy. The other people in the block of flats were mostly older working people, so it probably wasn’t a good mix. He moved out not long after, so I didn’t have to deal with the situation. Since then I have had older, working people.

My online investing diary: http://retireyoungandwealthy.blogspot.com/

Profile photo of FeastFeast
    @feast

Hi Sharon,
    I can highly recommend Japanese students to care for the environment in which they live!!! I have had experience with about 15 Japanese students who all (but 1) were clean, tidy and punctual with the rent and tying up bills at the end of the tenancy. (This is always the tricky bit as some leave in the middle of bills)
    I tried different things to find the best way to do it. The best thing was to incorporate bills and rent and cleaning in the price which all worked like a charm!
    You may want to consider a direct debit into your account for stress-free management.

It’s a fantastic idea – rock’n’roll!
    feast

@shaztaz

Thanks everyone for your input, it’s very much appreciated [biggrin]

Hi Padmaa,
    Yes I agree, I have missed the mark as far as timing goes for this year.

Hopefully I will be able to get one organised and ready for December/Jan when the first round of accommodation offers goes out.

Also thanks for the tip about making up a brochure for the uni, professional approach would give a great first impression.

Hi TokyoJoe,
    I guess students would be noisy from time to time, or frequently if there is a group of them [guitar] Might have to think about adding a condition to the lease – no noise between 11pm & 6am. Thanks TJ

Hi Feast,
    I too have heard that Japanese students are tops, [thumbsup2] thanks for reminding me.
    My sister-in-law in Cairns hosts students from all over the world, and says Japanese students are by far the cleanest, most grateful, and most respectful.

Yep, I’ll do as you suggest and roll rent, bills, and cleaning all into the one price. Less hassle, thanks.

Can’t wait to get started!
    Regards,

Sharon

Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974

There are a number of properties on the market in my area that are 4-7 bedroom properties that vendors are trying to sell as “ideal for student accommodation”. We are close to major uni & transport is good so no probs there.

Vendors say you could rent each room for $100/wk and thus have income of $400-$700 per week. But does it actually work this way? For example, if you were student 5,6 or 7 (in the 7 bedroom example) would you be that keen to move in with 4 other people? Does any “in-fighting” in the group of 7 lead to people moving out more frequently? If no studets are available, would you need to consider the broader rental market ($250-$300 per week in my area).

Also, if you had a property you could rent for $400-$700/wk, why would anyone sell it?

Does anyone have more long-term experience with “multiple” students (4 or more) renting in the one property?

@padmaa23108

[teal]Vendors say you could rent each room for $100/wk and thus have income of $400-$700 per week. But does it actually work this way? For example, if you were student 5,6 or 7 (in the 7 bedroom example) would you be that keen to move in with 4 other people? Does any “in-fighting” in the group of 7 lead to people moving out more frequently? If no studets are available, would you need to consider the broader rental market ($250-$300 per week in my area).

Personality clashes are an inevitable part of life and people will have to learn to deal with them or move on. If you are student no.5,,or 7 as you say, it depends how comfortable and practical the premises are for them to stay on. We have 6girls in the one house for the last 3 weeks and they seem to be getting along great. There is a lot of living space around them, so they don’t need to be on top of one another and that is important.
    Our average rental works out to be $105 per room and we have one house with 6 and another with 4, that is a $1040.00 income per week.

Also, if you had a property you could rent for $400-$700/wk, why would anyone sell it

[blue]Why would I want to kill the goose that lays golden eggs. This is our retirement as long as the Uni in the area is growing, our plan would work. When the Uni is not growing or doing good(which I doubt very much), then I would rent in the normal market,by that time, mortgage had reduced substantially and we would be +cf anyway.

As far as students being noisy and putting curfews on their night activities goes, it won’t work. We got to treat them as mature adults and put the onus back on them and their responsibility towards others in the house. Not every student is a party animal (my experience with the students we have)
    Padma[biggrin]

Profile photo of theBuildingSurveyortheBuildingSurveyor
    @thebuildingsurveyor

How many students would be likely share one bathroom. Is an ensuite the norm for each. Does anyone ever get building permits to convert class 1a to a class 1b.Anyone ever had hassles from Council Town Planning Department. Comments appreciated.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I have 5 happily sharing one bathroom with a seperate toilet. 3 girls and 2 guys.

There are no council difficulties in my area.

Simon Macks
    Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

@padmaa23108

I have 5 girls sharing one bathroom and separate toilet as well. No problems. Have 3 in the other house sharing a Bathroom and a separate toilet.
    Master bedroom tenant pays a little bit extra because of the ensuite.
    I didnot even bother enquiring with the council. What is class1A and class 1B?
    Padma

Profile photo of theBuildingSurveyortheBuildingSurveyor
    @thebuildingsurveyor

Class 1a is a normal dwelling, class 1b is a boarding house with no more than 12 persons or exceeding 300m2 as defined in the building code of australia. Class 1b requires extras to a normal dwelling such as a smoke alarm with with evacution light.

@shaztaz

I haven’t heard of the 1a, 1b, but in my Council area you are allowed up to 6 brms. 7brms and upwards is classed as a boarding house and must comply with strict council regulations.

Maybe there are different regulations depending on where you are. [confused2]

If anyone is contemplating purchasing a boarding house, please check the cost of insurance first. I have heard it can be as high as $10,000 p.a.
    due to the backpackers/boarding house fires in recent years. [sad3]
    Regards,

Sharon

Profile photo of retire40retire40
    @retire40

So, the restrictions are Council based and NOT state legislation.

Is this correct? I will discuss with my local council since I’m thinking of doing a similar property conversion.

Thanks!

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

Hi guys,
    To find out the councils requirements for prescribed accomodation, which in my area was 5 or more people in a house make an anonymous inquiry, use an accountant because there is a good chance you wont like the answer which may include health inspectors and other requirements.

Also don’t ask your insurer if they are happy to cover a boarding house situation with standard building insurance, because they wont be. Pray it doesn’t catch on fire.

Try not to put in the student or students that no-one wants to live with. It’s easy to scare off good tenants and hard to remove bad ones. You get the situation I had where I couldn’t fill the last few rooms.

And don’t buy in an area too far away, as it is very hands on to initially furnish and find good students.

And double check what the uni on-campus accomodation charge per week. I plucked $105pw out of the air and got burnt when I found out the uni cost a lot less.

And Don’t underestimate how much electricity and gas students will use after you check the REIV boarding room requirements that state you must include utilities in the rent. Over $1200 per property per quarter for 3 properties nearly killed me last year.

And be twice as wary of the many dangers if you plan on doing multiple properties this way.

rain, rain, rain on this parade. I got burnt a lot last year and just wan’t anyone jumping in to be aware of what you are in for.

Most important, remember students don’t have a lot of money and campus accomodation officers will quickly end any chance of getting students in if they get a sniff that you may be out to rip off poor students. Do 9 month leases, be flexible for the kiddies.

Good luck.

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

In general this has been a very positive thread with some good suggestions from all concerned.

Unfortunately I have very little positive to say about my experiences with students. I was once a student renter myself so cut them a bit of slack whenever I could. Finally woke up to myself and realised my objective wasn’t to wet nurse them, but extract a decent return.

My frame of reference changed and since it did, students dropped off the radar as a very poor option.

Compared to Fed. Govt depts and co’s like Telstra and the Commonwealth Bank, students make extremely poor tenants.

See how far you get asking students to sign a binding 10 year lease, cough up all of your property expenses, pay to refurbish the place when they leave to your satisfaction, and leave a 6 month cash bond….no I don’t think so.

Think I’ll leave wiping the noses of students to other time and cash rich investors who can afford to look after them.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“Go hard or go home”

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi Shataz,

Your on the money there with insurance costs and other high fixed cost. Ho would the student pay the utilities or would you cover that with extra rent etc.?
    Good Luck

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.