All Topics / Help Needed! / Investing in the U.S.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of easymoneyeasymoney
    @easymoney

Hi guys,

I am hoping someone can help me with a few more questions I have.

I have $60k in equity as a deposit for an American property, as I hear American banks don’t like to lend foreigners money. Will I lose the 7% or whatever it is to convert the money to American.

Will I have to pay tax in America on the rent I earn or will I pay the tax in Australia, I imagine America.
    If America can I claim the interest on the $60k I borrowed in Australia as a tax deduction. And will I have to pay more money to then have the money converted back to $Aus.

I imagine I will then also need an American bank accout which means more account keeping fees.

The more I think about it the more expenses I think of which makes the 20-25% CoCr look less impressive.

Can anyone else give me more or think of more expenses I haven’t mentioned that I may need to take into account.

Thanks guys

easymoney

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I don’t really see the point in investing in NZ or usa etc if you are going to buy just one or two properties. The accounting fees, bank fees etc are going to eat away most of the profit. And then there are the hassles of not living there, added telephone bills, travel expenses etc.

If investing overseas and you are a resident here, you will have to pay tax on your overseas investments here. ATO assesses you on your worldwide income. You will probably have to pay tax there too, if you do, and there is a tax agreement with Aust, then you will not have to pay double tax, and will get a credit for tax paid there.

You can’t use equity in property here to invest overseas, but must set up some sort of redraw or LOC, and then take the cash out and send over there. If you are getting postive cashflow over there, it would be better to just let it accumulate for a while as there would be fees to send it back here and to convert it.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of easymoneyeasymoney
    @easymoney

Hi Terryw,

Thanks for the hints, I’ve already thought about what you said about buying more than a couple of properties and don’t worry I plan to.

Sounds like I will let my money accumulate in an American bank and instead of paying to convert it I could even use it as another deposit with the returns i’ll be making.

Thanks for your input

easymoney

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Hi Terry,
    Goog point about the per unit costs of small portfolios and the associated economies of scale.
    Re double tax. Finding the right structure is probably the most imortant issue. If you can find true cash positive investments and leave the surplus in the structure some of this problem will be overcome. Eg a trust would pay a certain rate on undistributed income, however, that would not cause a personal income tax liabilty to you in Aus until you distribute income.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.