All Topics / Help Needed! / Investing in the Isa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of jaco22jaco22
    @jaco22

Have been looking everywhere around Brisbane but really want to PPIC. Read article about rental returns in Mt.Isa has anyone invested up there. If so any contacts to sus out properties would be appreciated.

[biggrin]
    Shane

Profile photo of cruisercruiser
    Participant
    @cruiser

Hi Jaco
    I have an IP in the Isa. You can find heaps of IPs there on realestate.com.au. Am happy to share info with you if you want to email me.
    Cruiser

Profile photo of jaco22jaco22
    @jaco22

Hi Cruiser,
    Thanks for the offer have sent email and look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Shane

keep positive

Profile photo of Greg FGreg F
    @greg-f
    Originally posted by jaco22:

Read article about rental returns in Mt.Isa has anyone invested up there. If so any contacts to sus out properties would be appreciated.[biggrin] Shane

Help me out, will you Shane? PPIC? What’s this one mean? I’m fine with OPM, LVR, DSR, SANF (thanks Monopoly) and a host of others, but this one’s got me beat!

Re Mt Isa, I’ve got quite a few IP’s there (all brick /block, and doing very nicely). I split my management between Jays RE and Ray White, and am delighted with the service I receive from both. The agents are a tight-knit little group, so best not to get on the wrong side of any of them. [biggrin] Ring and speak to:
    * Lorraine L’Estrange @ Jays RE 0409485856 (Wk: 0747448000)
    * Shelley @ Ray White (her phone no’s not handy).

Both ladies, in my experience, are highly ethical and won’t “gild the lily”. Tell them “Greg from Gympie” suggested you give them a call, and spoke highly of them. They know me well.

Ask Lorraine to walk you through the map of Mt Isa STREET BY STREET the way she did over the phone with me when I first rang her up. Ask her to tell you the good areas, and the “no go” areas, and have a yellow highlighter pen ready as she’s talking you through them. Re maps, go to http://www.whereis.com.au
    and type in Elliott St Mt Isa (it’s in Happy Valley, the best “suburb”. This will get you started, but get Lorraine /Shelley to fax /email you a map as well.

Be patient, don’t over-load your portfolio with Isa properties (1 or 2 houses, or a block of 4 block flats should be fine), and invest elsewhere for capital gain. Be in it for the long haul.

Cheers
    Greg
    (PM me if you need more precise info)

@jaco22

Hi Greg,
    thanks heeps for the info. Will certainly call them.
    Re PPIC just a typo should be PIC = +investment cashflow. from reading more on this site easier to put +cf. I,m only looking at the one property up there.
    what’s your thoughts on this:-
    3 BR house in Ann St. (Govt rental) lease hold with approx $1100 to pay for freehold. vendor wants $120k poss rent$200-$220 current rental $150pw with a couple of months to go on lease.
    Am I looking at the right scenario.

awaiting your reply with thanks
    Shane[biggrin]

keep positive

@greg-f
    Originally posted by jaco22:

What’s your thoughts on this:-
    3 BR house in Ann St. (Govt rental) lease hold with approx $1100 to pay for freehold. vendor wants $120k poss rent$200-$220 current rental $150pw with a couple of months to go on lease.
    Am I looking at the right scenario. Shane[biggrin]

Hi Shane

I can’t remember where Ann St is, offhand, but if it’s a governemnt rental, I suspect it may not be in one of the most desirable parts of town.

I repeat, ring Lorraine, even fax her a printout of this thread with my recommendations. For my money, be patient. Stacks of good deals in the Happy Valley area and/or near the hospital will surface if you just give it a couple of weeks /maybe MONTHS of patient waiting.

Try to either get:
    1. Concrete block house OR
    2. Zincaneal home in the BEST part of town (they don’t cost that much more, but are far more lettable in the lean times).

Cheers
    Greg

Profile photo of bjb007bjb007
    Participant
    @bjb007

YOU MIGHT FIND THIS OF INTEREST…….
    press release

XSTRATA LAUNCHES $4 MILLION COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIP PROGRAM IN NORTH QUEENSLAND

Mount Isa, Thursday 9 December 2004

Xstrata has today launched a new Community Partnership Program that will contribute $4 million over the next three years to improving services and facilities in the north Queensland communities of Mount Isa , Cloncurry, Townsville and Bowen.

This amount includes the $1 million commitment to the Buchanan Park redevelopment project in Mount Isa announced by Xstrata plc’s Chairman Willy Strothotte on 6 October, 2004.

The program is in addition to the $460,000 to be spent by Xstrata in 2005 in the north Queensland communities on sponsorships, donations and other community support initiatives.

The Xstrata Community Partnership Program in north Queensland was developed following extensive consultation with local groups and residents over the past twelve months.

This process allowed Xstrata to identify the areas of greatest need in the north Queensland communities where the company’s employees live and work, with a particular focus on education and health, and to develop partnerships with local groups and government to address them.

The program addresses six key areas, namely enterprise and job creation, education, environment, social and community, health, and arts and culture. A full list of initiatives and community partners is attached.

It also includes a substantial commitment to addressing the skills shortage in the mining industry in north Queensland with a tripling of the apprenticeship intake over the next three years, and more traineeships, bursaries and scholarships. The funding for this skills initiative will be in addition to the $4 million Community Partnership funding.(See separate press release.)

Xstrata Copper Chief Executive Charlie Sartain said the community partnership program was a demonstration of the company’s belief that local communities should benefit from the company’s operations both in the short and long term.

“I look forward to sharing the benefits of our business performance with our employees, communities and our partner organisations through this program,” he said.

“The program’s strength lies in the fact that it directly addresses the areas of most concern to local people, such as quality education for their children, access to medical care and youth employment and training.”

Funding for the program is part of Xstrata plc’s commitment to Corporate Social Involvement (CSI). The company contributes at least one percent of its pre-tax profit to community initiatives. In 2003 this amounted to US$6.7 million, 1.9 per cent of pre-tax profit.

The program was launched in Mount Isa today by the Queensland Minister for State Development and Innovation and Member for Mount Isa, Hon. Tony McGrady, MP.

Mr McGrady said he was pleased to welcome Xstrata as a partner in the Queensland Government’s commitment to build a better State with stronger communities.

“I congratulate Xstrata for working with us to create a sustainable future for Mount Isa , Cloncurry, Townsville and Bowen,” he said.

“This is all about making sure Queensland ‘s regions remain great places to work and live.”

Mount Isa Mayor Cr Ron McCullough said the program was a most welcome display of corporate responsibility as well as a demonstration of Xstrata’s commitment to local communities.

“The investment in community support will ease the burden on local organisations and allow them to concentrate on improving the wellbeing of the population at large,” he said.

Cloncurry Shire Mayor Cr Ed Morrison said that the Cloncurry Shire supported Xstrata on this initiative which would assist in stimulating the commercial and social needs of residents in the region.

“Cloncurry Shire Council congratulates Xstrata on this terrific boost for communities in the north west of Queensland and looks forward to further partnering opportunities both with Xstrata and other businesses,” he said.

The Xstrata Community Partnership Program in north Queensland supports the company’s transformation of its north Queensland operations where it is delivering significant and sustainable performance improvements.

This year, Xstrata has committed over $115 million to major new projects including additional development of the Enterprise underground copper mine, copper smelter capital improvement projects, and the development of the Black Star zinc-lead open pit mine all at Mount Isa ; and gas conversion at the Townsville copper refinery.

Commenting on the program launch and business transformation process, Mr Sartain said, “I believe these new projects and the Xstrata Community Partnership Program in north Queensland will assist in creating an exciting era of opportunity, cooperation and involvement for Xstrata and the local communities in north Queensland.”

Profile photo of swampy30swampy30
    @swampy30

Do most houses in Mount Isa have air conditioning?
    Would you find it difficult to find a tenant for a house with no air con?

@greg-f
    Originally posted by Swampy30:
    Do most houses in Mount Isa have air conditioning? Would you find it difficult to find a tenant for a house with no air con?

G’day Swampy

Virtually all houses in the Isa have EVAPORATIVE air, one of the earliest generations of air COOLERS (a massive metal unit, usually perched on the top ridge of the roof). They help keep the temperature cooler, but for my money not a patch on today’s air conditioners.

Part of my Isa portfolio includes 2 brand new executive townhouses (block, 3BR, DLUG), and both have the latest reverse cycle a/c both upstairs and downstairs. However, I also own blocks of 4 X 2BR block units in the better areas of town, and enjoy virtually 100% occupancy with these because I keep my rents competitive, in the best AREAS, but none of the block units have a/c.

There you have it. Best of luck

Greg

@jaco22

Thanks Greg and bjb for your info.I have been away for a while so doing some catchup.
    Greg,Ann St is close to town but will check out your info on other areas and I will be patient in doing this
    Thanks again
    [biggrin]

keep positive

@greg-f
    jaco22:
    Thanks Greg and bjb for your info.[biggrin]

Hi Jaco

There you go again with indecipherable sms talk! What the heck is “bjb”?? (Bloomin’ Jolly Brilliant??) [blush2][biggrin]
    Cheers
    greg

Profile photo of blossomozblossomoz
    Participant
    @blossomoz

Can someone tell me what the going rate is for property management in Mt Isa?

Is the rate the same over Q’land? I am under the impression that the fees were controlled by the state government & have recently changed, though I don’t know in what way.
    thanks
    blossomoz

Profile photo of Simon_GSimon_G
    @simon_g

blossomoz

I have made recent enquires re: property managers in Mt Isa. Both LJ Hooker and Jays charge 10%. Jays will charge 7.5% if you purchase through them. Ray White charge 8.5% + $5 per month.

I think they all charge GST.

I have not yet purchased there but have spoken with the two managers at Ray White and they are both very helpful. They will even inspect the property for you prior to your purchase if you ask nice.

Simon

Profile photo of blossomozblossomoz
    Participant
    @blossomoz

Thanks Simon,
    I’m just doing some homework. One problem with Mt Isa is that it is a small place so you don’t have much choice if you don’t like the property manager. We have had some really doozy PM’s in Brizzy. It took a few changes before we got that right.
    thanks again
    blossomoz

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

I have an IP in Mt Isa and, to be honest, wouldn’t buy there again. I am having an awful time with the property manager. For the first 6 months I had to call up every month and find out why my rent hadn’t been paid into the account – there was always someone else to blame. Apparently on about month 3 it was my fault because I hadn’t given them my banking details – despite having had two previous payments paid into my account!

But I am in a bit of a bind because if I go to the other property manager, what if they are even worse?

Things aren’t so bad now because I have whinged and complained and threatened to take my business elsewhere, but I am still not happy about 15 minute inspections every 6 months, shoddy paperwork etc.

As to where to buy, I would recommend flying up there and looking at anything before purchasing. We flew up to have a look around and were really glad we did. The mantra of “the worst house in the best street” really doesn’t apply. A really good property can be right next door to a really bad property.

Also, several properties look like someone has gotten drunk one night and decided to tack on an extra room or so.

I personally wouldn’t buy anything there without a visual inspection.

Also, be wary of who you buy through. The local agents (Jays, Ray White) are best. But the agents who live south, even as far as Brisbane, often haven’t seen the properties themselves and fob the properties off for far more than they are worth.

I have heard that contracts from the southern agents often fall through because the valuations often come in far less than the purchase price.

My thoughts only.

K

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.