All Topics / Finance / Westpac & Income Calculations for serviceability

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Had a conversation with a lending manager at Westpac recently and when discussing the issue of serviceability, I was told the following…

They were calculating my serviceability and specifically with my income as net after tax income )which is being paid into my Westpac account) and then subtracting the figure provided by the Henderson Poverty Line for a single with no dependents.

I then asked if I submit a tax variation form, which would effectively increase my after tax income, based on his methodology, this would able me to better my serviceability. He said yes it would improve it.

I always thought that gross earnings were used to calculate serviceability. I made the point to the Lending Manager but he insisted this was the way they calculate serviceability. Not that I will be complaining if true..

Has anyone had a similar experience where their serviceability has increased because of a tax variation?

To the learned the mortgage brokers, is this really true? Or is it because I am a longstanding customer of the bank? I still am not convinced that this advice is correct despite being told…

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

There are only a few lenders that will take tax deductibility of interest into account. From memory one is Macquarie Bank. The last time I looked at Westpac, I don’t think they did.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

St George, CBA and NAB do. Westpac do not.

Cheers

Stu

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

yep, occasionally its prudent to have a client prepare (thru accountant) a tax variation – used to be called the 221D – has a new identity today.

It will allow increased borrowings – some lenders consider it, others don’t – as you can imagine, if a deal is dependant on it to meet servicing, well, its a pretty thin line, but if other aspects of the applciation are particularly strong, then it may be considered.

In essence the process factors in the neg gearing aspects as per the clients pay period, rather than waiting to end of fin year.

cheers

brahms
    CALL NOW…adults only (boys and girls ask mummy or dad first) ~~ 1900 hot broker ~~

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.