Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of noworknowork
    @nowork

I would like to know if anybody has any really different property investing strategies? I have posted a new topic in the “help needed” site called “help me retire”, but as yet I haven’t been totally convinced by some of the replies. I want something that isn’t necesarrily the be all end all, but something that I can start and hopefully earn equity or the like to buy further properties. Also has anybody got any ideas of Beachside properties. My grandfather has a cool holiday shack in South Australia and has to sell it due to losing the stupid pension. I want to know whether it would be a worthwhile investment[baaa]

Profile photo of RedhavenRedhaven
    @redhaven

Can someone PLEASE! tell me what the [baaa] sign means?????????????? Is it anything to do with sheep or am I in the wrong flock??

Redhaven

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Nowork, everyone’s magic bullet is different. Are you not convinced because you don’t understand?

There are many strategies that you could pursue, in fact some of them are listed on this site
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/strategies.

You have to decide what your comfortable in doing & what time you have to pursue these

Profile photo of Go Girl GoGo Girl Go
    @go-girl-go

Funnily enough that thought also crossed my mind. I have to wonder if this question ” Can some one tell me what the [baaa] sign means?” should be posted in the Kiwi Forum?? Baaaaaaa Baaaaaaa!!

GGG

Profile photo of noworknowork
    @nowork

sorry the baa sign was mean’t to mean that I don’t want to be a sheep and follow the rest of the herd. does that help?

Profile photo of carlincarlin
    Participant
    @carlin

If I were you I would grab that beachside property with both hands!!

Profile photo of Broome HendersonBroome Henderson
    Participant
    @broome-henderson

Yeah it sounds like an opportunity as far as I’m concerned. Be nice to him though, you still can get a good price on it, but make sure he’s getting something out of the deal too.

Regards,
    Henderson

Do you want to be paid when people pay their telephone bills.
    http://www.homebizleaders.com/4537

Profile photo of TorachanTorachan
    @torachan
    Originally posted by nowork:

I would like to know if anybody has any really different property investing strategies? I have posted a new topic in the “help needed” site called “help me retire”, but as yet I haven’t been totally convinced by some of the replies. I want something that isn’t necesarrily the be all end all, but something that I can start and hopefully earn equity or the like to buy further properties. Also has anybody got any ideas of Beachside properties. My grandfather has a cool holiday shack in South Australia and has to sell it due to losing the stupid pension. I want to know whether it would be a worthwhile investment[baaa]

work hard. save pay. invest but spend time before parting with hard earned money.

Alternatively you can spend all your time chasing the “next big thing”.

[laughing][laughing][laughing][laughing][laughing]

Profile photo of kerwynkerwyn
    @kerwyn

Hi Nowork
    Hmmm! From what I understand it all comes down to finding your own niche in the market. It also depends on where you live. Property is not a get rich scheme it takes a lot of planing, reading and listening to other people with a lot more experience.
    I believe the best place to start is do a reno, find something cheap fix it up and you have instant equity, money out of thin air.
    There are a lot of other things you can do but you need some education. Get Steve’s books and read them if you haven’t already. Then do your self a big favor and buy Craig Turnbull’s 3 books they are cheap. You should at the end of these know exactly were you fit in the scheme of things.
    Kerwyn.

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Kerwyn, agree with your sentiments, but not sure about this

I believe the best place to start is do a reno, find something cheap fix it up and you have instant equity, money out of thin air.

You do need to find your niche, however successful reno’s IMO are not necessarily things to start off with. From the sounds of nowork’s original post, he/she is still learning.

Of course there will be opportunities to find the diamond in the rough, however, making any significant gain in the short term from renovating most properties is optimistic.

Profile photo of kerwynkerwyn
    @kerwyn

Hi Woodsman

You could be right but it depends on noworks ability to do the work or most of the work himself.
    My first attempt was a Reno and it worked out really good: bought at $225000 spent $4000 and had it revalued at $265000 (post boom).
    So it can work.
    Kerwyn.

Profile photo of jparsonsjparsons
    @jparsons

No work…I agree with the posts saying that you basically need to educate yourself as much as possible, acquire knowledge and mmost importantly be postitioned to act! Now that you know this is what you want to do it would really annoy you if you saw a top opportunity only to have it slip by because you were not “positioned” to leap on the opportunity.

I do renovations myself, but I do pretty much all of the work myself and have networked my backside off and continue to do so. I will be employing someone towards the end of the year to work on the houses whilst I continue the adventure into the abyss of property opportunity.

It also depends a lot upon whether you are chasing cash flow or capital growth? or getting both is also great.

Best of luck.

oh, gand….that[baaa] thing. I’m thinking possibly something between a dderrrrrr and an uuummmmmm? as in bbbbaaaaaaaa, i dunno?!

hehe, maybe? sorry, off topic.

J.

Profile photo of GrantH_1974GrantH_1974
    @granth_1974

Hi nowork,

My strategy is to buy into the highest quality asset I can afford in each asset class (ie, whether it is property, shares, cash, or any other alternative investment).

For my situation, this makes more sense than focusing on accumulating several cash flow positive properties.

cheers,
    Jason.

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner
    Originally posted by nowork:

I would like to know if anybody has any really different property investing strategies? I have posted a new topic in the “help needed” site called “help me retire”, but as yet I haven’t been totally convinced by some of the replies. I want something that isn’t necessarily the be all end all, but something that I can start and hopefully earn equity or the like to buy further properties. Also has anybody got any ideas of Beachside properties. My grandfather has a cool holiday shack in South Australia and has to sell it due to losing the stupid pension. I want to know whether it would be a worthwhile investment[baaa]

Nowork, to gain equity, someone must add this equity to your property. Yourself with renovations or additions or timing by buying under market value, or the market through added demand.

All the strategies come down to this few scenarios. It depends on where do you want to invest, your budget and how flexible you are in changing strategies. In real estate it is all about being ahead of the rest. What works for you today, may stop working if a few hundred people do the same. Astute investors start a trend and get out of it when big numbers start doing the same, only to start yet another trend that will be copied by the majority of late arrivers.

I suggest that you do a lot of research, read books and learn to read the market. Don’t expect anyone to convince you about a good investment strategy.

Sorry to hear about your grandfathers losing the pension. The money from the sale will still prevent him from getting a pension only he will now be able to invest it and hopefully have a decent return.

Beachside properties are always in demand but unless they are in a major city, they are a real dog to rent for more than 10 or 15 weeks at best in the year.

May God Prosper you.[biggrin]
    Marc
    http://www.chosen4u.com/?ace

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

fall in love with the deal, not the property.
    Otherwise you’re not an investor, you’re a consumer.

the ‘nice’-ness of a property has got nothing to do with how good an investment it is. In fact quite often I look for the most horrible disgusting property (for cheap of course!) and then sort it out. Amazing what a lick of paint can do, a new door handle here, a new tap there.

OK there is a degree of safety in beachfront properties, however: there is a town in NZ where sections went from 40k to 800k in about 5 years flat. and if something happens to the market that 800 could be 200 pretty fast. however the 60k houses 14 k away which are CF+ve, they have gone up as well, they will continue to go up because the value is there.

I just think that beach houses are emotional buyers not investors. and in any downturn there are less buyers around

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

I have a great idea for you though, it is a way you can maybe help your grandfather win/win!!!!!!

Lets say you paid for a valuation on the property. let’s say it is worth 200k. (no idea, just picking a number.)

Then you go to the bank. And get a line of credit on the property. Let’s say 30k. Don’t go nuts to begin with otherwise it will be too tempting.Your grandfather can draw down his weekly expenses (say he draws down 500 a week, that’s 26000. Now here’s where you come in, you pay the interest. So let’s say it’s 10 percent interest (might be less, but easier to calculate), then your grandfather could draw down say 40k over a year and a half or so and by then that would cost you, ah, say 4k a year. i.e. 76 bucks a week. But you wouldn’t be paying that much interest upfront I don’t think because I think you only pay interest as you draw it. Ask Simon or one of the resident forumite helpful brokers for a chat about it. So he gets $500 a week and it costs you $100 a week max for the first year or two. but it’s bought you time. it’s like a reverse mortgage (your grandfather’s other option) but i think this is a much better option. instead of the bank gradually eating his property, you gradually buy it. Now HOPEFULLY the property will also go up in value, even if slowly for a bit, and you will help your grandfather earn his debt back again in capital gains, plus you will be able to BUY TIME to think and plan if you want this property down the track. I figure this scheme should give you at least a couple of years or 5 to figure it out! let’s say he has 100 or 200 equity.

You like?

email me if you want, there’s more to it, but I am tired of typing

Hey – you know, does your grandfather live in the beach shack or could you rent it out? let’s say you could rent it out, your grandfather could make say 200 a week and still draw down the line of credit, 500 a week, and bank the rent right back in to the line of credit. perhaps this might even be self-perpetuating (CF+ve) on the interest, for quite a while, and by the time it was not (2 years until your grandfather is spending faster than the rent is coming in) then you can still carry on a few years by you chipping in the shortfall. perhaps the equity your grandfather had made would make up for things!

Now you need a good and ethical broker here to set this up not just the one who wants the bigger commission and will talk you in to a reverse mortgage.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.