Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of retropostretropost
    @retropost

I bought my first property 13 months ago, a 5 bdrm house. I rented out 4 of the bedrooms for the past year. If I added up all of the rental income I received, I will have broken even on the property, all included. If I include the portion I also paid to live there (or the amount I will be receiving for my room should I move out) – my total rental income from the property will be 20% above my total costs. It is an “owner-occupied” property as I’ve been living in it for the past year.

I now want to purchase another property (while keeping my first) and start the process again. My questions are related to how best to set myself up to buy another property (tax wise) and also I would like to know whether I will receive more of a refund in taxes if I did not claim rental income or if I claim depreciation (and whether both can be claimed.) I understand that all rental income (under law) must be claimed. But since this is my first year owning a property and I would like to buy another in the next few months, I would like ot know BEFORE I pay an accountant hundreds of $$ how it works. I would be claiming my current property as a rental to the IRS once I purchased another property. I’m assuming that since I paid $14,000 in interest in 2004, I’ll be getting around 20% of that back? I have the direct line form for figuring depreciation, I just want to know ahead of time whether I could end up OWING a lot of $$ in taxes. Thanks so much – Shane

Profile photo of shaztazshaztaz
    @shaztaz

Hi retropost,
    I think you need to speak to an accountant.

In my experience they are happy to give you 1 free appointment to discuss your situation. Ask them if you can do this.

Even if you have to pay it would truely be worth the money to keep you OUT OF TROUBLE with the tax man. [biggrin]

My understanding is that you must declare all income to the ATO, including rental income. You can claim depreciation (best if you have a Quantity Surveyors depreciation report done when you purchase).

Is the IRS, NZ’s equivilent to the Aust. Tax Office??[blink]
    Regards,

Sharon

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If you are Australian you can get various info at http://www.ato.gov.au on what you can claim etc. You can’t claim rent, but must declare it as income. Then you deduct any expenses such as rates, insurance etc. You can also claim things that don’t actually pay for each year such as travel, borrowing costs, depreciation on building and fittings etc. If the figure comes out negative, you have made a loss, and this will come off your other income, resulting in a tax refund. If it comes out positive, it means you will have to pay more tax on this portion.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.