All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Setting up a trust

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of EllenEllen
    Participant
    @ellend

Hi,

I’m relatively new to the property investment world and have read recently (magazine I think), that there are advantages in setting up a trust to purchase residential investment properties. Can anyone help me with more information or tell me where I can find out more?[confused2]

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Squeaker,

Suggest you visit http://www.gatherumgoss.com and purchase a copy of Dale’s ‘Trust Magic’ ~$99 but easy to read and informative.

Also receommend a search of the legal and accounting forum to see what else is suggested.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property investment advice and researched property in quality locations available.

Profile photo of smetsmet
    @smet

This topic interests me as well. To my surprise, property investors in Australia seldom talk about setting up a structure such as family trust/company. It adds hassle to the process, true. But in the long run there are numerous benefits.

Problems:

1. Setting up trust/company costs money (tax deductible)

2. Running costs are added – annual accounting, for example

3. Capital gains tax on companies is higher (though not significantly)

Benefits:

1. Company tax is lower than highest bracket of individual tax. (30% vs. 48.5)

2. Your assets are distanced from yourself, therefore protected from litigation.

3. More things are tax deductible in case of a company.

That’s my thoughts. Hope it’s helpful.

Profile photo of EllenEllen
    Participant
    @ellend

Thanks folks – appreciate your help. The book looks interesting – will do some reading and follow-up with accountant.

Cheers
    Squeaker

Profile photo of GreatPigGreatPig
    @greatpig
    Originally posted by smet:

3. Capital gains tax on companies is higher (though not significantly)

What do you consider “significant”?

The difference between the discounted CGT rate for someone on the top marginal rate and the company rate is 5.75% (allowing for the Medicare levy). If you sell a property for a CG of say $100,000, that “insignificant” difference is $5,750. If you’re dealing with higher-end properties that might give gains in the $1m area, then it becomes around $57,500. You can give me that “insignificant” amount any day! [:D].

But that’s only the start. After the company has paid this extra $5,750 tax, the rest is then company money, the use of which is governed by some pretty strict rules (look at it sideways as an individual and it will be deemed a dividend). If the company shareholder is on the top marginal rate, getting the funds out to use personally would involve more tax – ultimately giving the full 48.5% tax rate on the initial amount.

In my opinion, as someone stuck in this predicament right now, owning capital appreciating assets in a company structure is NOT a good idea.

And if you do use a company for business or income-only type assets, I’d consider having the shares owned by a family trust rather than an individual, to give more flexibility in distributing dividends (although there is an issue to do with distributing franking credits from a trust).

I’m also told there’s a new rule pending release that would turn interest-free or cheap private loans TO private companies into capital, making it difficult to start a $10 company and get sufficient funds in there to use. Don’t know how that rule will turn out yet though.

GP

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Smet, I may be wrong, but think that company and trust setup costs are not tax deductible.

Sqeaker, register at http://www.lawcentral.com.au and learn more about trusts by going thru the motions of setting one up – doesn’t cost anything.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of masteraccountantsmasteraccountants
    @masteraccountants

Hi GP,

The solution is to liquidate the company and pay out the capital gains to the shareholders as the proceeds of liquidation.

It does mean closing down the company, and it does mean that all of the properties should be sold, so all of the capital gains have been crystallized.

In NZ, this would preserve the tax-free status of the capital gains. If the properties are pre-July 1985, then the tax-free status would be preserved also in Australia. If they are subject to CGT, then you still gain the 50% CGT exemption.

The full amount of imputation credit at 30% will not have been paid, owing to the 50% CGT exemption, so if the net profit is paid as a dividend, it will be short of the correct amount.

This is why you would seek to liquidate the company once all the properties have been sold.

As you say, owning capital appreciating properties in a company is not a good idea.

Christopher Raynal
    Master Accountants Group Limited
    PO Box 46018 Herne Bay
    Auckland New Zealand
    Ph +64 9 360 3259
    Fax +64 9 360 2180
    http://www.masteraccountants.co.nz

Profile photo of ProfiteerProfiteer
    @profiteer

Hi People

I am not overly conversant with the ins and outs of companies and trusts but my question is this. What implications are there for a structure where you have a trust with a company set up as the trustee and you and your partner/wife are the directors of the company? Does this negate some of the problems associated with buying property directly as a company asset. Your thoughts. Can anyone supply an estimate on costs involved in setting up such a structure.

Kind regards

Profiteer [blink]

Participant
    @terryw

Profiteer.

In that scenario, a company would own the property as trustee. ie its the trusts asset. So profits could be distributed to any of the various beneficiaries – not necessarily the company.

Trusts cost as little as $137 to setup and can go up to $10,000. Companies cost another $900 +. You will also need to get the trust deed stamped = $200 in NSW.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

The main issue with trusts, is that losses are not distributed to the beneficiaries but remain in the trust and are carried forward and applied gainst future profits.

A similar issue could apply to companies where there is no other income and you are practising negative gearing.

ie when you are negative gearing or relying on non cash deductions such as depreciation or building write off to make the investment positive (in Margaret Lomas’ system) you need to have a taxable income that the expenses can be applied against

Profile photo of ProfiteerProfiteer
    @profiteer

Hmmmn…So let me see if have this right then….Under a trust with a company as trustee and say myself and wife as directors of that company, any losses incurred by property owned by the trust could not be offset against our personal income but can be offset against any future income made by the trust…..So what can be offset against our personal income?…..What if the property owned by the trust are all negative geared, does the loss incurred accumulate?…..So what tax advantages are gained by having it under that type of structure apart from paying tax on any income earnt from the trust at company rates of 30%?…If I have it wrong please advise.

Kind regards

Profiteer [blink]

@greatpig

Profiteer,

losses incurred by property owned by the trust could not be offset against our personal income but can be offset against any future income made by the trust

Yes, but there are issues with trust losses. To carry forward trust losses the trust has to make a family trust election, which has certain consequences in relation to who the trust can distribute to at concessional tax rates.

Also, income and capital gains are treated as separate types of revenue, with losses of one type only being able to offset gains of the same type (assuming the losses can be carried forward at all).

What if the property owned by the trust are all negative geared

For negative gearing property in a trust you need to use a hybrid discretionary trust, which is a combination of a discretionary and unit trust. Then the individual does the borrowing and buys units in the trust. The trust itself makes a profit (since no loan interest) which gets distributed to the unit holder. Any loss is then in the unit holder’s name and can be offset against other personal income (provided the trust is buying income-generating assets).

apart from paying tax on any income earnt from the trust at company rates of 30%?

A trust does not pay tax at any rate in itself (unless it doesn’t distribute income, in which case it’s taxed at the top marginal rate). Having a corporate trustee doesn’t make any difference in that respect. Instead, the beneficiaries pay tax at their individual rates.

The tax advantages of owning assets in a trust are primarily the flexibility to distribute income to low income earners (or to a high income earner through units if negative gearing in a hybrid trust). There are also some extra deductions that can be claimed from a trust. The corporate trustee is for increased asset protection rather than tax advantages.

As Derek said earlier on, get a copy of Dale Gatherum-Goss’s “Trust Magic”. It goes over a lot of this stuff and more (although for the trust loss provisions, you really need to wade through the ATO Website).

Above all, seek professional advice before doing anything in this regard.

Cheers,
    GP

Profile photo of jcls79jcls79
    @jcls79

I’ve set up a hybrid trust to purchase my first IP in QLD. It is cashflow positive but if after applying the rental expenses against the rental income, the trust incurred a loss of $3.5K for FYE 30 June 2005. I am the sole director of corporate trustee and if I elect not to roll forward the tax losses to next year, can I apply it to my other income (from job) for FYE 30 June 2005, considering I am the highest income producing person in trust and I’ve bought units in the hybrid trust?

Thanks
    john

Want to join financial independence before 31 years old, currently 25

@greatpig
    Originally posted by jcls79:

if I elect not to roll forward the tax losses to next year, can I apply it to my other income (from job) for FYE 30 June 2005, considering I am the highest income producing person in trust and I’ve bought units in the hybrid trust?

As has been stated in the other thread, losses in any type of trust cannot be distributed and thus cannot offset any individual’s other income (not even the trustee’s).

In the other thread you said the loan was in the trust, so what funds have you put in by buying units?

GP

Participant
    @terryw

John

Nope, unless the loan was in your personal name, I don’t think you can. The trust is a separate entity and losses can’t be transferred.

But talk to your accountant who may have some ideas. Its not such a large loss, so don’t worry too much.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Profile photo of GrregGrreg
    @grreg
    Originally posted by GreatPig:

Profiteer,

losses incurred by property owned by the trust could not be offset against our personal income but can be offset against any future income made by the trust

Yes, but there are issues with trust losses. To carry forward trust losses the trust has to make a family trust election, which has certain consequences in relation to who the trust can distribute to at concessional tax rates.

Hi GreatPig!

You lost me when you mentioned family trust elections. If I have a standard discretionary trust (which is not a family trust) is there anything I have to do in order to carry forward a loss into a future financial year?

Cheers,
    Greg

@greatpig

Greg,

I’m no accountant, and have just read up a little on this for my own benefit. You should seek professional advice on this issue.

You can read about it yourself in the tax act if you’re that much of a masochist:

http://tinyurl.com/5n6lk

You want Schedule 2F under the 1936 act.

Also, if you do a search there on “trust losses family election”, you’ll get a number of hits on various related interpretive decisions.

Probably just easier to ask your accountant though!

If you do need to make a family trust election, I believe there’s a form from the ATO you need to fill in.

Cheers,
    GP

Profile photo of GrregGrreg
    @grreg

Hi GreatPig!

I might leave the good old tax act for another night. Thanks for the link though…

It seems that a lot of people incorrectly treat the terms ‘discretionary trust’ and ‘family trust’ as being interchangable. I had this problem when talking to my (previous) accountant. He kept dropping the term ‘family trust’ when I was talking about getting a ‘discretionary trust’.

I am pretty certain that a standard discretionary trust need make no election to carry forward a loss (in fact it is automatic).

I can’t see any reason that anyone would want to make the once off, irreversible election to make their trust a family trust. I can’t see the benefit – Can anyone shed light on this. Seems awfully restrictive.

Cheers,
    Greg

Profile photo of Mark UnwinMark Unwin
    Participant
    @markunwin

Hi Greg,

A discretionary trust and family trust are the same thing.

Family trust elections were introduced around 1996 by the ATO. They were brought in to reduce the number of tests a family trust had to pass before being allowed to claim its prior year losses.

They are also required when imputation credits over $5,000 are distributed to beneficiaries. This can be particularly relevant where you operate your own company and your trust owns shares in it.

Once a family trust election is made, the trust is restricted by only being allowed to distribute to the nominated individual and their family group. Two generations up and two generations down.

Generally this isn’t a problem as most people only distribute profit to their own family members.

Cheers,

Mark Unwin

Mark Unwin
    Williams Partners Pty Ltd
    http://www.wp.com.au

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.