All Topics / Legal & Accounting / is this scenario OK by the ATO?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of adamwadamw
    Participant
    @adamw

I have this scenario in my head which a friend of mine says is against ATO rules:

Let’s say you buy your first home for $200,000. 3 years later you have finished paying it off and you are ready to buy something bigger and keep the existing one as an investment property. Your old home is now worth $300,000, so you refinance it back up to 80% and take the $240,000 and plough it into your new $500,000 home. You now have your home and an investment property and you are claiming interest on the $240,000 against your investment property income.

If the above situation is not legit, how do you get around it?

Thanks
    Adam

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

The ATO will say the purpose of your additional borrowing is to buy your new home not to create income.

Alternatives:

1.Sell your first home to your family trust which borrows to purchase.
    2. Sell your first home. Put all the proceeds to your new home. Get a line of credit on the new home to use as deposits on your new IPs

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yes you can do it, but can’t claim the interest if the money was redrawn to pay for your new home.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of betterbizbetterbiz
    Participant
    @betterbiz

Hi Adam,

What you propose is not ILLEGAL (as Terry said) however as CRJ correctly points out the interest you then pay is not deductible because you don’t meet the ‘purpose test’.

Selling the property to your Trust will trigger Stamp Duty but provided it was your PPOR then it will not trigger CGT.

The trust however would have as its Cost Base the purchase price that it paid you for the property (which needs to be its true market value or you’ll have Stamp Duty issues to explain).

When the trust disposes of the property in the future then there will be a CGT position to consider and to cope with.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.