All Topics / Value Adding / Investing In Frankston

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Profile photo of Julie and DaveJulie and Dave
    @julie-and-dave

Hello All
    Thinking of renovating and selling in North Frankston Melbourne, wondered if anyone had any luck in this area and any tips regarding renovating as we are just starting out and a bit SCARED!!! Have plenty of skills in the renovating game but not in good areas to invest in, we are English but dont hold it against us!!

Julie Baldwin

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hey Julie,

Welcome!!!

I am a Frankston investor; love the place, especially the snottier end (South Frankston) and the not-so-snotty, but still respectable Frankston Central and/or Heights.

Then there is North Frankston, yes definitely the less desirable of the Frankston pockets, but nonetheless will be worth a bit in the next decade; just sit back and think of it as that clairol hair ad…..”it won’t happen overnight,but it will happen”!!!

Here are a few of many links which I think you will find interesting:

http://www.id.com.au/frankston/commprofile/sitemap.asp?WebID=120#AreaLinks

http://www.id.com.au/frankston/forecastid/default.asp?WebID=10&MnID=1&PgID=1

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/planningschemes/

I know North Frankston is still cheap because of it’s less than desirable (ex-HC homes) but that will change, as is already happening.

As for the renovating; gosh….I have done that for years, and apart from reminiscing about sore bones, muscles (I never knew I had) and lots of dirt, dust and grime…..it hasn’t changed, expect maybe tools/materials cost more thesedays. All in all it is hard, but usually the pay-offs help to fade the bad memories!!!

Have fun, and happy renovating (glad it’s you and not me)!!! [biggrin]

Jo

Profile photo of Julie and DaveJulie and Dave
    @julie-and-dave

Thank you Jo for relpying so fast i think i’m gonna like this site. Will look at the websites and let you know how it went. Cheers Jules

Julie Baldwin

Profile photo of ZippyZippy
    Participant
    @zippy

If you dont already have the house in Frankston North then I would forget it. It is a really dodgy area (i grew up in Frankston). It is no use really having the best house in the worst street (or area for that matter) I definately wouldnt renovate and then rent out.

@monopoly

So were Ashburton and/or Ashwood once upon a time, even more so than Frankston North is today. But you try buying in either of these places now, not only are prices better, but the calibre of residents has risen tenfold!!!

Similarily, I grew up in North Fitzroy, and some of the surrounding areas at that time were “so-so” admittedly not “dodgy.” Nonetheless, I sold my home there years ago for just over the million dollar mark; not bad for an area my friends used to scoff at for being “full of wogs”!!! (please no disrespect intended, I am just quoting what used to get bandied around when I was growing up)

I understand your point zippy and agree it is not the most desirable area, but I think if you do your homework and research Frankston’s future infrastructure plans (including the new marina, Frankston-Mitcham freeway, and new shopping centre plans) you will find “times are a changin” for the better[biggrin]

Jo

Profile photo of Bradles CBradles C
    Participant
    @bradles-c

Hi guys,

I was just about to ask the same question about Franskston and Julie beat me to it !!!

I think Frankston has HUGE potential, especially with the Scoresby Freeway due for completition in 2008. This will provide easy access to the city and also the eastern suburbs.

There are many cheap properties in desperate need of a reno and the possibilities are endless !

I think buy, renovate, rent and then hold for 3 to 5 years for Capital Gains might be a good option ?

I would be interested to see what other more “experienced” investors think about this area !

Bradles

@monopoly

Brad,

You got mail!!! [biggrin]

See the links above in reply to Julie’s query.

Also, I think you mean the FRANKSTON TO MITCHAM freeway???

North Frankston is definitely changing, and yes it has some “colourful” types still, but the properties are relatively CHEAP, that is <200K; they will need work and alot of time will need to lapse before you see big growth. However, I firmly believe you will see growth eventually.[biggrin]

The better choice pockets are Frankston South, Frankston (Central) and Frankston Heights.

All the best, and again, sorry to hear about the split; always a sad thing to happen. Keep your chin up!!! [sunny]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of Bradles CBradles C
    Participant
    @bradles-c

Cheers Jo, you have mail too ! [biggrin]

I thought the Scoresby and the Mitcham / Frankston freeway were the same thing ??? [blush2]

Thanks heaps for the advice, I will take a drive down there within the next few weeks and check out some of the houses !

Brad

@monopoly
    Originally posted by Bradles C:
    I thought the Scoresby and the Mitcham / Frankston freeway were the same thing ??? [blush2]

Sorry Brad, not thinking, you’re quite right THEY ARE THE SAME THING [blush2]

Profile photo of gameonegameone
    @gameone

Hi Jo,
    I am very interested in the Frankston Heights area. I bought a couple of blocks for development but due to some medical issues could not proceed. The original plan was to renovate and hold. I now need to offload as I can’t fund the repayments any longer due to the medicals. I have thought of redeveloping with 6 units, but don’t know how to do or fund this. I am now looking at dual occ on the three sites.
    I had a look at the links that you posted and note that Frankston Heights area is expected to have a -ve population growth. With the hospital, Uni, and the new bulky goods development, why is this?
    Any comments would be helpful or you can email me on [email protected]

Thanks evryone
    Pat

@monopoly
    Originally posted by gameone:

I had a look at the links that you posted and note that Frankston Heights area is expected to have a -ve population growth. With the hospital, Uni, and the new bulky goods development, why is this?

Hey Pat,

Those links I posted where to help give people an overall view of Frankston (all sectors of) as well as provide details of infrastructure and demographics. As for Frankston Heights projected -ve population growth, this is expected somewhat even though of it’s close proximity to schools, why??? Kids grow up and move out of the area. Also, take it from an old stats-rat from way way back, never take PROJECTIONS as gospel; they are guidelines only. Figures change periodically based on many factors including shift in popular trends. Frankston has yet to pick up steam, but when it does, you will see a huge change in the “projected population” figures. The fact that your blocks are near amenities such as schools, parks, shopping complexes can only work in your favour. People move in and out of areas, but most facilities such as these tend to stay put (well, mostly).

Hope this helps shed some light.[biggrin]

More importantly, I hope you make a speedy recovery; your health is the most important factor above all else!!! [thumbsupanim]

Cheers,

Jo

P.S. Just had a quick read (by candlelight actually…we had a blackout here) of Feb API. If you don’t already have a copy Pat, I suggest you get a hold of one, there is a whole section on the expected boom of Frankston (although this was briefly touched on some back also).

Profile photo of RikkyRikky
    @rikky

Pat

If you need someone to help you through the project due to your health or your finding it hard to make ends meet with repayments . I dont know your situation but I persoally do projects with people in all sorts of situations .If you feel you may need support I would be willing to look into with you.I am in the middle of doing a project in frankston at the moment and I think it has a great future .

Cheers Rick

Profile photo of domcc1domcc1
    @domcc1

In relation to the above comments about Frankston North: I unsure if this suburb will experience the same ‘high level’ of change as inner suburbs (such as Richmond and the like) have over the next 5-10 years. This low socio-economic group has already been ‘pushed out’ to the edges of Greater Melbourne. Where else are they going to go without ‘going country’ and still having semi decent public transport access to the city? It does make sense though that some growth should be experienced. Then again, if it’s cashflow you are after it is the place…

Just my 2c

@monopoly

What makes you think Richmond has any less undesirable types??? I grew up in North Fitzroy, and worked in Abbotsford/Richmond, pockets of which had a mixture of low and upper class socioeconomic groups.

If you don’t agree with Frankston North, it’s simple, don’t buy there, but to “assume” an area won’t grow simply because of a particular socioeconomic class is naive IMO. Trends change, people move, and then again, some less desirables stay…..take a look at St.Kilda, it has some very exxy properties and some very low life characters!!! Other examples (as I mentioned above) are areas such as Ashburton and Ashwood to name but a few. I remember 30 years ago hearing people say you couldn’t pay them enough to live in some of these areas, now these same people can’t afford to!!![blush2]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of gameonegameone
    @gameone

Thanks everyone
    for the quick replies. Yesterday was my first day on the forums (being a holiday I had some time).
    I have looked at a few areas before going into Frankston. I think being a coastal city with increasing infrastucture is the main growth driver. As the area increases in value I think the lower soci-economic groups may move to Dandenong or Narre Warren type area because there is work, there is transport, there are facilities. Coastal areas in general are experiencing a bit of a surge. Carrum Downs and the new harbour project etc has pushed that area out of the price range for a lot of ppl. Seaford has seem some good price increase, I think it is a natural for Frankston to follow. It is only due to health issues that I can’t pursue my strategy at Frankston.

Take a huge bite and chew like mad.

Profile photo of carrcarr
    Participant
    @carr

Frankston is one of the areas targeted for growth in the next 5 years.Check out http://www.reiv.com.au. I live in Varrum downs and have 3 properties there.
    Frankston NTH ( the Pines) will only improve and froma very low entry platform.
    Think about it. its 6 mins to the beach . A lot is on a hill with almost 360 degree views around the whole harbour.Its great that alot of people look down on it cos it means its not overpriced. I work (in Real estate In Glen Waverley and Frankston Nth is just like Jordanville was 5 years ago. Underpriced and no one wanted it .NOW try to buy there.
    Look at the development of Frankston town centre.Its gonna be the place to live.
    BTW Im putting my money where my mouth is..Im relocating my work to Frankston

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

We have bought 4 development sites in Frankston for clients in the last year.

It has lots of potential as others have said. We were able to by fiar properties on 1,000 sq mt of land for $240K- $250K We will get development approval for 3 units on these sites.

Its a great area but you must pick which areas in Frankston you select and which streets too.

There is a write up on Frankston in teh Feb API magazine

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Michael,

These sites in Frankston are they for development within the next 12-18 months? Or are they intended for a longer hold period before development?

Have heard some commentary that whilst good size blocks are available in Frankston in the price range you mention, the numbers re development do not quite stack up in the next 18 months given current valuations of the new dwellings, but beyond that are much better. Is this a fair comment?

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by woodsman:

Michael,

These sites in Frankston are they for development within the next 12-18 months? Or are they intended for a longer hold period before development?

Have heard some commentary that whilst good size blocks are available in Frankston in the price range you mention, the numbers re development do not quite stack up in the next 18 months given current valuations of the new dwellings, but beyond that are much better. Is this a fair comment?

I agree with you. The numbers do not stack up well in Frankston for immediate development. BUilding costs are relativley high

But its a great area to “land bank” in -buy a house at close to land value and hold with a good return (better than most areas – $220 – $230 per week for a proeprty bought at $250K) The land will increase in value as should the end value of units we develop down the track – see current issue of Australian Property Investor.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Thanks Michael, will head down to the newsagency this afternoon.

In the instances where you purchased (on behalf of your clients), how long is it envisioned before the vendors actually commence construction of their development sites?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.