All Topics / Help Needed! / Cross collaterisation

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of riprip
    @rip

Can anyone tell me whether you should cross collaterize your loans, some tell me yes and others no?

rip

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Use the search button RIP. It will give you all the links to recent forum discussions. It saves everyone from repeating themselves as all you have to do is add you comment and the thread comes back up to the top.

Steph.

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of Michael WhyteMichael Whyte
    @michael-whyte

Stephs right,

And the quick answer is No. I can’t see any benefit in cross-collaterizing loans. This just gives the lending institution more immediate options in clawing back in the event of default. Best to protect your assets from each other so you can decide which ones to divest in a worst case scenario.

Peter Spann has a whole chapter on this in his book and goes to lengths to explain how to avoid cross-collaterizing.

Cheers,
    Michael.

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

I am totally against cross-collateralising.

It does have instances where it is needed though. An example is where you have one good and one bad security. To get the finance approved for the bad one, they will want you to cross-collaterlise.

The reason for this is that when properties are ‘crossed’, the lender, in the event of default and they take possession, has the right to sell ‘the most saleable security’ to recover their money. This means the good property will go first.

Avoid it if you can.

The poster formally known as The Mortgage Adviser

When I grow up, I want to be a Storm Trooper!

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

hi rip

avoid if possible, if not, build a bridge – 1000’s of people x-coll without issue without harm or harrassment.

cheers

brahms
    mortgage broker
    [email protected]
    brisbane

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

It can be OK for two properties, but when you want to grow and get more, it will be a hinderance.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Rip,

We initially ‘linked’ two properties some time ago to kick start things a little.

Since then everything has been stand alone as there is greater flexibility and it is easier for you, rather than the bank, to control your properties.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.