All Topics / Help Needed! / Defence Housing Authority

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Ambo72_2Ambo72_2
    Participant
    @ambo72_2

Does anyone have any houses leased to the DFA and if so what are your thoughts? Has it been a good option for you? Everything appears great except for the 16% fee they charge.

Thanks,

Ian

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Ian,
    I would do a search on this subject as I recall people responding to a similar question some time back. I don’t have any DHA props, though I still subscribe to their emails and one just turned up in my suburb, looked good, but too negative for me.
    Good luck,
    Sue [biggrin]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I have heard owners complain that the long lease affects resale value as they cannot be sold to the owner occupier market.

I lived in DHA houses and I can attest the high high standard of upkeep and inspections done. I have never cleaned curtain tracks with a toothbrush for any other landlord[grrr]

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Fully Accredited With Derivex PTY LTD and IFHL PTY LTD

***Ask about our Interest Free Home Loan***

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Brisbane 04Brisbane 04
    Participant
    @brisbane-04

Hi,
    I have a defence force property okay the positive points 1.They always pay on time in fact in most cases a few days early.
    2.The tenants have been fantastic. They take good care of the property.
    3. Never have too worry about the minor stuff as they do the repairs of that sort of thing.
    4. In the 18 months weve owned it never had not so much as one phone call regarding a problem.
    5. Each year they do a rental review since weve had it rent has gone up by $30 pw
    6. They repaint inside after 7 years
    DISADVANTAGES: 1 When it comes to selling it, you have too coordinate opening times with DHS which can be a pain in the arse.
    2. High management fees.
    I am basically for it as long as you due dillagence and the figures match up.
    Martin[biggrin]

Martin

Profile photo of Ambo72_2Ambo72_2
    Participant
    @ambo72_2

Thanks everyone for your replies. Shall look into it a bit further

I lived in DHA houses and I can attest the high high standard of upkeep and inspections done. I have never cleaned curtain tracks with a toothbrush for any other landlord

Did they really make you do this Simon??[ohno]

Thanks,

Ian

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Absolutely. My wife was gobsmacked when they told us to do that! We had to dust the tops of doors too – it was real white glove stuff back in the late 80s and early 90s.

Although I believe that they now use professional cleaners to do the place between tenants. Is cheaper than putting the family up in a hotel for a couple of nights before they move them to the new posting locality.

You will make more money on a normal property but the DHA one is almost hassle free. Good for those people who are a little frightened of being a landlord.

All the best,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Fully Accredited With Derivex PTY LTD and IFHL PTY LTD

***Ask about our Interest Free Home Loan***

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.