All Topics / General Property / adding value – fence painting

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of alwayscuriousalwayscurious
    Participant
    @alwayscurious

Hi there.
    Just looking for some tips to paint a fence. I went and layby a airless spray gun from Big W ($145) and looking for advice about paint.

It’s a 1 Year old wooden (treated pine) fence.

I am planning on painting with some sort of acrylic and going for a cream colour to brighten the place up.

Any tips?

PS – any tips on using such a gun inside? I am planning on painting a 2BR unit in Feb with the same machine..

Full breathing apparatus to be worn?[fear][shades]
    Cheers
    alwayscurious

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Hi big A,
    no and no. My father used the old type compressed air spray gun and the mission green fence colour, but that is as close as I got to what you’re doing. Remember to wet the fence with your garden hose first, otherwise the dry wood will suck you paint up like there is no tomorrow!

I have made some attempts to learn about airless spray guns, here, at SS and on the Rono Bros web-site to little avail. I had all this info copied and pasted onto my hard drive at work but it was infested with a virus and ‘Poof” went all my info. Sorry to be of so little help. Best of luck!

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of jenwrenjenwren
    @jenwren

Hi,

We have used both the airless and compressor style CIG spray guns. We recently did a complete interior with one.
    We saved heaps of time, but the tip is to make sure you lay thin coats, and 10 minutes spent in taping, covering, and laying floor mats saves an hour in cleaning.

We sprayed over skirting boards, cornicing etc… and taped it up to do the detail, It worked well.
    Our understanding is that you can only use water based paints as the paint often needs to thinned, and an unthinnable paint may be too thick. (or could you use automotive thinners?)

Jenny and Roy

Profile photo of Jade456Jade456
    @jade456

Definitely cover EVERYTHING. The spray gets everywhere. More so than a mask, wear a full clear plastic face protector. You’ll be happy later. And a hat to cover your hair. Spray in short bursts, about foot from the surface in even smooth strokes.

http://www.lvrealty.net
    http://www.realestatebyjacqulyn.com

Profile photo of HuntHunt
    @hunt

I use an airless hand held spray all the time. I am renovating an old Quenslander with VJ walls. Rollers don’t cover the joints, brushing is very slow so I tried spraying, brilliant! As already advised you do have to mask everything off. I use a double cartridge filter mask which is OK. Just take a breather in fresh air every 5-10 minutes. I have never had to thin acrylic in order to spray, straight from the tin seems fine. For non acrylic paints you need to guy a different nozzle. I bought a bendy nozzle for doing the ceiling (very useful)as it allows me to keep the gun level and to spray longer before the paint runs out. I have found the best way is to spray the whole room with undercoat (if needed)then spray the ceiling with topcoat. When dry I then spray the walls to within 40cm of the ceiling keeping the gun angled down slightly when near the ceiling. I then hand paint the gap. This proved a lot quicker and cheaper than painting the walls first then having to mask off all the walls with plastic sheet to then spray the ceiling. Done carefully you will get virtually no overspray onto the ceiling. If you do just touch it up with a brush, easy. It seems like a big job masking everything off but once done the spraying is so quick, especially if it requires more than one coat. I use the Wagner gun. Seems to be good quality and Mitre 10 etc. carry a complete range of parts and accessories. With regards to dress code, I wear nothing but work shorts, get covered in paint then shower. Acrylic comes off easily in warm water. Don’t try this method with solvent paints though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.