All Topics / Creative Investing / Buying houses on credit card

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Mick INCMick INC
    @mick-inc

Hey All

I have heard about people initially paying for a house with a credit card to pick up frequent flier points. Does anyone know if this is possible? Has anyone here done it?

Would you be able to put your credit card in credit to the price of the house and still receive reward points?

I would appreciate any help on this topic

Mick

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

There are times I have put my card in cedit for various reasons (never more than a few thousand though) and the points were awarded when purchases were made. I can’t see why this wouldn’t work on a larger scale if you have access to that amount of money. If you are borrowing to buy the house I’m not so sure that the financier would want to deposit the funds into your credit card.

Regards,
    Sonja

Profile photo of byronent_2byronent_2
    Participant
    @byronent_2

WE bought a house in Broken Hill on credit card.

If the agent lets you then I can’t see why not.

Banks shouldn’t mind it as they earn a fee for service from teh merchant, ie: Real Estate Agent.

You may get an agent who wants to charge you the fee, but you can push it so he charges his clients.

The house we bought cost just over $20,000

Byronent
    Adelaide SA

Profile photo of Julian2Julian2
    @julian2

Not sure about the points, but I know someone who maxed out two cards ($10k limit on each) and withdrew the cash for a house deposit. He actually paid his deposit in folding stuff. It probably wouldn’t work for most due to the high cost of credit on the cards but he made it work for himself until he could re-finance at bank rates. This guy arrived from Africa with very little – but hit the deck running as soon as he landed here (NZ) and is now (presumably) a good deal better off than many kiwis.
    Julian2

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I think the major stumbling block would be the fee charged by the credit card company (2-3%), if the agency is prepared to wear this then it wouln’t be a probably – as long as they had the facility.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of byronent_2byronent_2
    Participant
    @byronent_2

Where are you banking, our business is charged 0.9% so quite a discount and almost bearable in a sale.

Byronent
    Adelaide SA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.