All Topics / Heads Up! / Options Research

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Profile photo of Michael_CMichael_C
    @michael_c

I am wishing to learn more about options and was wondering if anyone had any preferences to what books I should be reading regarding this topic.

Thank you

Michael collins

Profile photo of byronent_2byronent_2
    Participant
    @byronent_2

http://www.sharemarketcollege.com/home.php

that is a good start.

But don’t by the software, it is very expensive and not worth the money.

Byronent
    Adelaide SA

Profile photo of p0sitiveCasHfl0wp0sitiveCasHfl0w
    @p0sitivecashfl0w

My friend is currently reading Options: A Complete Guide for Australian Investors and Traders by Guy Bower.. he said its not too bad… good for beginners.

The ASX website is also a good place to start.

http://www.asx.com.au/markets/Options_AM2.shtm

Who took my MONEY[?]

Profile photo of Chief WigamChief Wigam
    Participant
    @chief-wigam

Thanks for the link positivecashflow. I tried it out but it appears you need a password to enter. How much does the course cost to do? I have done a similar course (with Hometrader) already, but would be willing to try another if it trully does work. Hometrader is certainly working in the bull market conditions, although prior to that it was only a little better than steady.[bonjour]

Mutant

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

Mike,

Try to find books by Charles Cottle. If your brain doesn’t shoot out through your earholes first, he’ll give you a great understanding of how to actually trade them without losing your arse.

re Guy Bowers Book: Agree it is a good book for the basics.

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru

Guy Bower book is good as suggested by Positive cash flow. ASX course is free for biginners. may be need to just register.

Cheers
    PropertyGuRu [sultan]
    Mortgage Consultant
    [email protected]
    MSN ID: amitash, Yahoo Id: bornguru

NZ loan pre approval from OZ in 48 hours,Low Doc from 6.85%,Investment loan 95%+

@p0sitivecashfl0w

Another good book if you are interested is The Options Course by George Fontanills. Market Wizards, New Market Wizards, and Stock Market Wizards by Jack Schwagger is also pretty good. Your local library should have plenty of books for beginners too.

Chief Wigam, If you are looking for an options course, PG knows of a good one..

Who took my MONEY[?]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Are you talking options on shares or property?

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Michael_CMichael_C
    @michael_c

I was referring to shares but I am happy to hear about any books regarding options for property as I havent found any of them yet.

Thank you

Michael collins

Profile photo of obiwanobiwan
    @obiwan

this will sound like a wet blanket but I would not get involved in leveraged plays on the sharemarket (incl options) until I was profitable in nonleveraged investing and until I was well capitalised.

There are 3 retail investors in the options arena :
    1. small speculators looking to make a fortune – they almost always blow out at some stage. The odds are massively against you succeeding: 95-99% fail despite attending seminars, reading books etc.
    2. investors who are well capitalised who use it as a small part of an investing strategy – covered call writing etc
    3. people who wish to start trading as a business – despite being well informed, market experienced and usually well capitalised they are usually not profitable in the first 3 years. 80% still fail.

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru
    Originally posted by obiwan:

this will sound like a wet blanket but I would not get involved in leveraged plays on the sharemarket (incl options) until I was profitable in nonleveraged investing and until I was well capitalised.

1. small speculators looking to make a fortune – they almost always blow out at some stage. The odds are massively against you succeeding: 95-99% fail despite attending seminars, reading books etc.
    2. investors who are well capitalised who use it as a small part of an investing strategy – covered call writing etc
    3. people who wish to start trading as a business – despite being well informed, market experienced and usually well capitalised they are usually not profitable in the first 3 years. 80% still fail.

Are you saying this with your experience? were you in one of the above arena you quoated?

Cheers
    PropertyGuRu [sultan]
    Mortgage Consultant
    [email protected]
    MSN ID: amitash, Yahoo Id: bornguru

NZ loan pre approval from OZ in 48 hours,Low Doc from 6.85%,Investment loan 95%+

@michael_c

Obiwan so what your basically saying is make sure that you have plenty of capital behind you before entering into the options arena otherwise you will get burnt?

Just a quick question how often do the stock exchange programs run for?

@waynel
    Originally posted by obiwan:

This is all true. Thats why I suggest Cottles book.

I also suggest avoiding covered calls unless under certain specific circumstances.

There is also a 4th catagorie (which are a small minority of course). People who make a tidy profit from options thanks very much. :-)

@p0sitivecashfl0w

Hi wayneL,

Is there a specific Charles Cottles book that you recommend as a must read?

Who took my MONEY[?]

@obiwan

There are in my experience 3 groups of retail option investor, people who are initially profitable or marginal eventually fall into these over a period of time. If you want to have a better likelihood of making a living in this field THEN DO NOT SPECULATE. Get a job working as a broker, quant or analyst for a trading firm or an office job or something else.

I am reading jesse livermores biography again atm, there are a few points that are pertinent :

1. you must start small, as everyone starts this way. But you MUST expect to lose at some stage in your learning, probably most of your capital. With leveraged plays you will lose it more quickly. My suggestion is to learn the basics of nonleveraged investing and lose this way first. Losing in options initially often does not teach basic money management and investment skills in the process of losing as people blow out too quickly. It is really an individual question whether you will learn better learning quickly or slowly, it depends on you personality. BUT YOU WILL DO IT BY LOSING. “All my life I have made mistakes, but in losing money I have gained experience and accumulated a lot of valuable don’ts. I have been flat broke several times, but my loss has never been a total loss. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be here now. I always knew I would have another chance and that I would not make the same mistake a second time. I believed in myself. A man must believe in himself and his judgment if he expects to make a living at this game.”
    2. “The game taught me the game. And it didn’t spare the rod while teaching.”. Not surprisingly the best way to learn the art of speculation is not to read a book about it, but to actually speculate yourself. Regardless of how little capital a new speculator starts out with, he must actually bet some of it in the real-world markets to learn and grow as a speculator. There is no other way.

And Livermore wisely points out that real-world trading is the school of hard knocks.

There is a miniscule chance of you being profitable in options trading in 3 years (1-5%). There is a small chance of you outperforming indices in nonleveraged investing (10-20%). Which will you choose ?

@michael_c

Obiwan, I am curious what would you suggest we do as beginners then. Simply hand around the stock market for a year or two an learn how it operates before stepping in? When you say nonleveraged I am sorry but I don’t understand what you mean.

I have just joined myasx to learn more about the stockmarket. I am going through the courses at the moment that are free online. Should I use the watchlists for a while until I get a greater understanding of how it works?

Then once I have established a higher understanding of the stockmarket should I then attempt options?

Thank you

@waynel

<<There is a miniscule chance of you being profitable in options trading in 3 years (1-5%).>>

Yes, agree wholeheartedly. But the reason for this is mainly because people do not understand completely the pricing nuances of options (IE the Greeks)…even those who have done option courses…and it is ****ing difficult to get your head around.

I spoke to a lady last week who had done TWO expensive option courses. I started talking about implied volatility…..she didn’t know what I was talking about!!!!! Scary!!!!!

People also try to use options purely for leverage…market makers love these people.

Correctly used, options can be less risky than shares. For instance, in the latest ION delisting dabacle, an option spreader may have even profited from the situation. (if options had of been available on ION)

Cheers

Profile photo of Robbie BRobbie B
    @robbie-b

Options are an advanced and high risk strategy best left to more experienced investors. Wait until you have much more experience and can afford to lose your whole investment before attempting these.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif
    http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter – Click Here

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.
    © 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

@waynel
    Originally posted by The Mortgage Adviser:

Options are an advanced and high risk strategy best left to more experienced investors. Wait until you have much more experience and can afford to lose your whole investment before attempting these.

Robert Bou-Hamdan
    Mortgage Adviser

banner.gif
    http://www.mortgagepackaging.com.au

FREE Finance-Related Newsletter – Click Here

Comments made are of a general nature and should not be construed as individual advice.
    © 2004 Mortgage Packaging Pty Ltd

Advanced? Yes!
    Best left to experienced investors? Definately!
    High Risk? Yes and no!

If used to crank up risk via the leverage, then yes, risky. They can be used to REDUCE risk.

So here’s a question for the forum:

Which carries the most risk (ignoring reward for the moment)?

1/ Buy 1000 shares

2/ Write 1000 ATM put options

3/ Buy 1000 shares and write 1000 ATM call options

Cheers

@obiwan

Michael, in terms of risk for the beginner it generally goes : cash, fixed deposits, mutual funds, individual shares, margin loans, options, derivatives.

Now if you are a beginner it is highly likely you will blow yourself up starting on options. You are competing against well capitalised, well informed and intelligent people (like wayne) and you will get fleeced quickly. Stockmarkets are Darwinian, what is your advantage/edge in surviving ? Investors often scoff at mutual funds but to invest optimally in them requires as much research as individual stocks. They are generally less risky for the beginner (in my opinion).

Try reading some books, check out some information websites (motly fool, cnnfn, bloomberg, personal investor etc) and look around at web boards eg http://www.aussiestockforums.com
    Some good concepts you can pick up are : 1. money and risk management 2. Compounding (and hence leverage) 3. market cycles (and hence market psychology) 4. CAPM (diversification, the basis for modern portfolio theoory and mutual funds) 5. Black scholes (dynamic hedging, the basis for modernday option pcing systems)

Do not be discouraged, make sure you play the game as you will surely learn in the process, but only play what you can afford to lose. Be wary of get rich fast strategies in the stock (or any) market.

wayne :

1/ Buy 1000 shares – capital at risk is value of initial purchase 1000 shares

2/ Write 1000 ATM put options – risk is 1000 shares minus put option premium you pocket

3/ Buy 1000 shares and write 1000 ATM call options- risk is 1000 shares minus call option premium.

1 puts the most capital at risk. Depending on the option clauses, there maybe exceptional circumstances (eg share takeover) which can change this.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.