All Topics / Creative Investing / Re lease options

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of ProfiteerProfiteer
    @profiteer

Hi people

Just enquiring as to whether anyone has successfully completed any lease option deals and if you have, would you like to share with us any difficulties experienced as well as any good advice.

Kind regards

MagnumPI [cap]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I have done a few, but wouldn’t do them again the way I did. The tenants ended up making more money than me. Go for a rising strike price linked to the value of the property at the time of cashout, that way you can get some capital gain. Also look for short leases, about 2 years, so it doesn’t just drag on forever, unless you want it to.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    North Sydney
    Click below to email me

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of jscottjscott
    @jscott

If the tenants walked away with lots of money, then thats great – a real win-win deal !

Profile photo of scotty3scotty3
    @scotty3

It’s already a win-win because the tenants get the chance to live in the property they’re buying, pay some of the deposit week-by-week in ‘rent’ and know the property will still be available when they are ready to buy. A good strike price should certainly be ‘in the money’, but you don’t have to forfeit all the CG unnecessarily. A ‘profit share’ is still a win-win.

scotty3

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Like Terry I have done more than a few but must confess I prefer an Instalment Contract.

In a rising market the tenant certainly comes out on top and again as Terry suggested i would encourage an equity share (we do ours by way of revaluation at the time the tenant wishes to exercise the option).

Still works out as a win win deal.

Cheers Richard
    richard at fhog.com.au
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of algenonalgenon
    Participant
    @algenon

I am with jscott… The tenant (always refer to them as a buyer) must win. So too the seller and you in the middle.
    I am currently finalising two sandwich (or back to back) lease options simutaneously which have taken far too long and cost far too much. I left my job nearly a year ago to jump in the deep end. I’ve come very close to throwing in the towel a number of times, however, I believe that I have gained some invaluable lessons that I thought would be helpful to you. Writing these lessons down will also help me to crystalise the learnings…

• Don’t buy in a bad area (eg housing trust/commission)
    • never get so wrapped up in getting a deal that you forget there will be other buses just around the corner… walk away if it’s not working for you!
    • always know how you want to exit from the deal and carefully analyse it from that point of view
    • Simultaneously ADVERTISE widely including flyers, local newspaper ads, and multiple yard signs.
    • Never give up
    • Don’t use the strategy on a junky house.
    • Make sure the house meets minimum requirements such as 3 bedrooms and a bathroom. Two bedroom houses are more difficult to sell.
    • Don’t panic!
    • Find buyers before going unconditional on the purchase or call contract.
    • Don’t send/provide all of your application forms to the applicants until they have expressed interest in the house… I’m still trying to understand what’s best here??
    • Never show the house to just one applicant. Stack appointments up about 5 mins apart to create a mild sense of urgency
    • Be very careful in calculation your upfront (and ongoing fees) and costs in acquiring the property.
    • Learn early that you should use resources of other people eg lawn mowing, flyer delivery / printing… Don’t get caught up with this stuff yourselves
    • Make time to hang out at this forum regularly.
    • Don’t underestimate the impact of buyer calls on your family life.

These lessons have been very expensive ones for me, but having learned them my sense is I am well placed to move forward in my investing career.

Let me know how you go.[cap]
    Algenon

Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla

Either way (installment contracts or Lease Options…… you are trading off some of the future profits for cash today. In both cases you are committed to locking in the price no matter what the future holds.
    good luck people.
    Kiwi

Don’t send/provide all of your application forms to the applicants until they have expressed interest in the house… I’m still trying to understand what’s best here??

I get applicants to pay up fee on the spot.- I can’t count how many hours I have spent mucking about chasing up prospects …. and faxing … and posting off apps…. FORGET IT. They are either in … or they are out!

Looking for Positive cashflow solutions?
    Look no further
    Wraps-Lease Options & JV’s
    http://www.kiwilogic.biz
    We are investing in NZ so if you are looking for + cashflow properties…contact: [email protected] to join our database.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.