All Topics / Help Needed! / water quality

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

Hi

Need some advice.

We are renting a house currently, and water pressure has always been near zero since we have been there. Complaints to the R/E have had no result. For the last few months, our water has been green/yellow in colour, and we had to replace our kettle because it corroded very quick. We are forced to filter all water used for drinking and dishwashing, which is a hassle and filters get clogged within weeks and cost $10 each.

When we moved into this house, we made a deal with the owner that we would paint the internals and he would reduce rent by $15 a week. A pro would have charged $3k Im sure. We bought all the paint, rollers etc. That alone costed $500, and it was a weeks work.

The R/E sent us a letter last week. Our rent is about to increase by $15 at the end of our lease (in 2 weeks).

Is this reasonable?

Do I have rights with regard to water pressure and quality? What action should I take? Should I remind them of the painting deal?

thanks

http://www.posigear.8k.com
    Positive Geared Share Investing

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

crashy – its time to get fired up. tell them that the owners are not meeting there basic obligations under the contract. ie that the hpouse is safe!!! tell them that the water problem amounts to a breach of contract and that you wont be paying any rent until its fixed….also tell them you have independant advise that you can do this. even if you dont sometimes a threat should be enought to convince them to fix the problem.

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

thanks aussierogue

we dont like to complain, we really like the house but feel we are getting dudded because we are paying more and getting less.

Is there some specific legislation I can quote to back me up, or should I just say “aussierogue said get stuffed” LOL :)

http://www.posigear.8k.com
    Positive Geared Share Investing

Profile photo of debtdoggdebtdogg
    @debtdogg

Hi Crashy

I’d suggest that you make sure that it’s not a council water supply issue first (yellow water doesn’t sound like it is). But call you council anyway, make a complaint they will probably send someone out and if they say it’s a health issue, they can be the ones to make the owner fix the problems so you are not perceived as a whinging tenant.

Then do as Aussierogue suggests if that doesn’t work.

markk
    Happy Hunting
    http://www.kentscollections.com

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

crashy – all i know is that they have a primary obligation to provide you with safe ammenities. if its a area water problem than that is a different kettle of fish.

you can use my name if you like but yes they will probably hang up. i hang up on myself sometimes. good luck..

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Gee Crashy, sounds like a hard thing to put up with. Crap water. COuldn’t think of anything worse.

I like what debtdog said about the water being a health risk. Eveyone has the right to clean water if it is available, and you shouldn’t accept it at the current state.

Your property manager should have fixed that as soon as you requested it. I would ring and speak to the principal of the R/E agency to see if that gets you anywhere.

Good luck and DON’T put up with it!
    Steph.

P.s maybe your local water corp people could help you out. Seriously, get a health inspector out. Your paying ofr something your not receiving!

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of luckyoneluckyone
    @luckyone

I’d ring the tenants board in your state and see what advice they can give you. They can be very helpful in situations like this. In one place we rented the oven had no shelves in it so we couldn’t cook. When we signed the lease, the real estate agent said that the owner had ordered them and it would be a couple of weeks. We didn’t mind that as it was probably going to take that long to get the house organised enough to eat a meal there anyway (we hate unpacking).

Anyway, the 2 weeks came and went, we were hanging for a home cooked meal. Rang the property manager, “oh yeah, they’re on the way, just got delayed in shipment”. Another two weeks later still nothing. Rang the property manager and said we weren’t going to pay rent until we had the oven shelves as that was an essential part of the house. She said we would be breaching the contract and that they would put a black mark on our credit reference.

Rang the tenant’s board. They said we could hold rent as it was a basic neccessity in a house and we had every right to withhold rent until the shelves were replaced. We ended up getting them about 1-2 weeks later.

They really can help you sometimes.

Thanks,
    Luckyone

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.